New study find bullies have higher self esteem, social status and get laid more

Watch
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A new study published by the Simon Fraser University has produced some interesting results and has found that contrary to the almost universally accepted idea that bullys tend to bully people because of some underlining issues in their own life the reality seems to be that bullying is effectively a symptom of humans establishing a social rank with more confident adjusted teenagers at the top using weaker members as a way to improve their own social status. A quote from one of the researchers involved in the study:

“Humans tend to try to establish a rank hierarchy,” says Jennifer Wong, the criminology professor who led the study. “When you’re in high school, it’s a very limited arena in which you can establish your rank, and climbing the social ladder to be on top is one of the main ways … Bullying is a tool you can use to get there.”

the researchers involve in the study have called for the results to open up a new discussion on how schools and universities deal with bullying, rather than simply enforcing a zero tolerance policy which they argue has been shown constantly to be completely ineffective that a carrot rather than a stick might be the best way of dealing with bullying, instead of penalizing teenagers and young adults for bullying instead they should be given outlets which will allow them to gain social status without the need to pick off weaker members of the heard.

An article from the national post highlights a pilot project that took place at an Arizona high school where kids who were identified as "bullies" were steered towards high status jobs around the school to focus their desire to assert their dominance and move up through the social hierarchy and reduce the aggression they show towards other members of the school, the project was a complete success according to Tony Volk a Brock University psychologist with considerable experience in the field of bullying.

Sources:

Provocative new study finds bullies have highest self esteem, social status, lowest rate of depression,

or the daily mail alternative

Child bullies are sexier, more popular and have more dates than their victims when they grow up, new Canadian research suggests.

So what are everyones thoughts on this? It has generally been established that bullies are always in the wrong and the behavior is completely unacceptable however from my understanding more research is now underway to establish if the bullies are actually in the wrong or if bullying generally is simply a natural way of establishing a social order and that the bullies themselves by and large should be given the opportunity to rise to positions of more responsibility where they might flourish.

I'm guessing a lot of people have been bullied and won't be overly shy about sharing that however has anyone here ever been a bully? Do you think if you were given opportunities within the school to focus your energies on that would have helped you A) not to pick on weaker kids and/or B) help you to develop and enjoy your school experience more?

The argument seems to be that punishing people for bullying is doing nothing but hindering promising kids from reaching their full potential and that the bullies themselves aren't the problem. Do you agree?

*quick edit this only applies for what the authors refer to as "true bullies" which they state accounts for 80-90% of all bullies, the other type is bully-victim where someone picks on someone else because they themselves are being bullied, the authors make clear that this study may not be applicable to that group
RainbowKiwi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Didn't read, too long.
HigherMinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree. "Bullying" takes many forms; mockery shouldn't be treated in the same way as violence, but a certain level of bullying is healthy and inevitable in children. Also, those who are bullied will learn some tough life lessons early on without the hand-holding from the state or running to mummy and daddy. When I was moving up to secondary school, my dad told me to assert myself by punching the biggest chump who tries to threaten me on the first day. Aim through the head, he said, and don't stop.

When people understand you mean business, things get a lot easier.
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thirst crew gon' start bullying people now. Tsk tsk tsk SMH
codegirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bullying is a psychopathic, parasitical tendency.

The last thing society needs is more psychopaths, because thats essentially what they are, in power.

Fortunately, the world belongs to the geeks.

I was somewhat of a bully in school, a thing i deeply regret now. Bullies are essentially small children showing off in peacock fashion to get attention. Its all very base and primitive behaviour, unfit for civilised society. The tragedy is the teachers now have no power to discipline bullies, and so education is ruined for those non psychopathic students who just want to learn.
Drunken Bard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Saying bullying is a result of personal problems has always been a cop out answer from Psychologists.

It's always been about dominance and hierarchy just like any other species of animal, the touch feely "They obviously are troubled" is just a politically correct diagnosis, the majority of the time it's due to poor parenting or a feeling of superiority.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (75)
37.31%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (22)
10.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.47%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (50)
24.88%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.96%

Watched Threads