The Student Room Group

Do you think I'm a bit transgender or is it common for people to have these feelings?

I've always wondered if I'm transgender, has anyone had any experience with this? I wouldn't change my sex or anything but if I was able to be born again and choose my gender I would 100% be male for biological and social reasons, I've just always seen it as better to be a male all round. I've always been a tomboy when I was 14 I liked my body but my idea of perfection was strength and muscle as opposed to feminine things like make up and jewellry.. which I saw as very temporary artificial things. I enjoyed working out every morning and loved any bits of muscle that I thought I was developing.

I hated it when people say I was skinny and took pride when people said I was chunky/muscly or physically strong. I wasn't too keen on my breasts but I'm only very tiny chest wise anyway so I just kind of ignored them and preferred my muscly (or what I thought was muscle lol I was still skinny) arms. I did like my waist though and the way it curved in because I was slim/toned. All my role models though were male like I wanted to be like certain lads on the cross country team getting fast times they were my inspiration. Same with celebrities I tried to be like a female version of a male celeb female celebs just didn't interest me, unless they were tomboyish. I wanted to play football and rugby too but had to play netball and hockey cause I was female. I always had short chin length hair which was very unstylish but I enjoyed it being short from a practical sense.

Now I sort of dress ambiguous my hair is a little longer and I'd say I look more feminine now although I never wear skirts or dresses or heels I'd be too embarrased too as it would be such a change lol. I'd rather wear jeans and a feminine top. I suppose a lot of it is to do with practicality I've never aimed to look like a male but I've never wanted to look very girly either. Like I just see the clothes that men wear as more practical ie jeans, trainers/flats short hair as opposed to heel, skirts and long high maintanance hair.

My role models are still male or else tomboyish women like if I want some inspiration to help me with my fitness I prefer to watch male videos than female ones. I like how men take more risks in general than women for example those lads that climb very tall buildings, you never get women climbing that high. I'd much prefere a male lifestyle too I.e having a sporty carefree life until I'm 40 then settling down later and having children but obviously I can't with being female I'm on a time limit fertlity wise and I just feel a lot more pressure to settle down. I feel kind of useless too I'm only 5ft and I'm not very caring, motherly or anything that a woman is 'meant' to be. At least if I was a man I'd have physical strength and would be seen as valuble that way but with being only 5ft and female I'll never have this quality either. I hate how people know they are stronger and percieve me to be small and weak when walking down the street.

Do any of you ever wish you'd have been born a different gender? As I said I'm quite happy being a tomboy over having a sex change or anything like that but I often feel dissapointed that I wasn't male.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've always wondered if I'm transgender, has anyone had any experience with this? I wouldn't change my sex or anything but if I was able to be born again and choose my gender I would 100% be male for biological and social reasons, I've just always seen it as better to be a male all round. I've always been a tomboy when I was 14 I liked my body but my idea of perfection was strength and muscle as opposed to feminine things like make up and jewellry.. which I saw as very temporary artificial things. I enjoyed working out every morning and loved any bits of muscle that I thought I was developing.

I hated it when people say I was skinny and took pride when people said I was chunky/muscly or physically strong. I wasn't too keen on my breasts but I'm only very tiny chest wise anyway so I just kind of ignored them and preferred my muscly (or what I thought was muscle lol I was still skinny) arms. I did like my waist though and the way it curved in because I was slim/toned. All my role models though were male like I wanted to be like certain lads on the cross country team getting fast times they were my inspiration. Same with celebrities I tried to be like a female version of a male celeb female celebs just didn't interest me, unless they were tomboyish. I wanted to play football and rugby too but had to play netball and hockey cause I was female. I always had short chin length hair which was very unstylish but I enjoyed it being short from a practical sense.

Now I sort of dress ambiguous my hair is a little longer and I'd say I look more feminine now although I never wear skirts or dresses or heels I'd be too embarrased too as it would be such a change lol. I'd rather wear jeans and a feminine top. I suppose a lot of it is to do with practicality I've never aimed to look like a male but I've never wanted to look very girly either. Like I just see the clothes that men wear as more practical ie jeans, trainers/flats short hair as opposed to heel, skirts and long high maintanance hair.

My role models are still male or else tomboyish women like if I want some inspiration to help me with my fitness I prefer to watch male videos than female ones. I like how men take more risks in general than women for example those lads that climb very tall buildings, you never get women climbing that high. I'd much prefere a male lifestyle too I.e having a sporty carefree life until I'm 40 then settling down later and having children but obviously I can't with being female I'm on a time limit fertlity wise and I just feel a lot more pressure to settle down. I feel kind of useless too I'm only 5ft and I'm not very caring, motherly or anything that a woman is 'meant' to be. At least if I was a man I'd have physical strength and would be seen as valuble that way but with being only 5ft and female I'll never have this quality either. I hate how people know they are stronger and percieve me to be small and weak when walking down the street.

Do any of you ever wish you'd have been born a different gender? As I said I'm quite happy being a tomboy over having a sex change or anything like that but I often feel dissapointed that I wasn't male.

I can't personally relate to how you are feeling, it seems like you have quite a lot of conflicting emotions and ideas at the moment. From what I can understand of your post the feelings that you are having are more that you appreciate the masculine role in society rather than thinking that you should have been born a man. Is that right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending