The Student Room Group

Oxbridge FAQ!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
H&E thought this was terrific though one minor spelling mistake thatI thought i would put you onto. Can't get this to PM to you

Not Cashing in AS Grades

Some Oxford applicants who do worse than expected at AS consider not chasing in their AS grades, so they won't be on their UCAS form. If you want to do this, make sure you check your school's policy on cashing in

Cheers

CamSPSer
Pretty dead giveaway of a name change there...
Reply 302
have no idea what you are talking about :tongue:
Reply 303
ey im planning to apply to a good university and oxford being one of them. However, I feel that my grades aren't up to standards. I am also quite confused on what type of degree to do. Ive got double A in science n A in religous studies and B's in the rest of my subjects.
For college, I'm planning to do the IB but I'm having second thoughts and planning to do Chemistry, Economics, History,Art n probably Maths. What degree can I do with those subjects?:confused:
Reply 304
Angel-K
ey im planning to apply to a good university and oxford being one of them. However, I feel that my grades aren't up to standards. I am also quite confused on what type of degree to do. Ive got double A in science n A in religous studies and B's in the rest of my subjects.
For college, I'm planning to do the IB but I'm having second thoughts and planning to do Chemistry, Economics, History,Art n probably Maths. What degree can I do with those subjects?:confused:

I reckon the reason your question hasn't been answered here is because it's been asked countless times already elsewhere on the forum.

Go for what you have a passion in and you enjoy, and work towards that by taking the relevant subjects (naturally ones you have both an aptitude and good attitude for) and the necessary work experience that would put you in good standing.

You have PLENTY of options open with those subjects, many of which are traditional and respected A Levels. Good luck.
Reply 305
I've got a Q regarding the applications procedure. You need to send your application to Oxbridge by October 15th right? Does this mean you have to send all your other uni applications at the same time as well?:confused:
Reply 306
yep, well at my school we did.
Reply 307
Yes, it's the whole UCAS form that you send off at that time, because it's all just one form, sent to the various unis that you select. At least, that's what I've been led to believe.

It does have benefits, tho' - the other unis see that you sent it off before 15th October, and so may well guess that you're an Oxbridge applicant, so will already think well of you. Those who aren't applying to Oxbridge, but still want to get into a good uni were told that it might be a good idea to send their UCAS off before 15th October for this very reason. I don't think anyone will, though, from our school, but it is perhaps something to think about..
Here's a question - if interviews take place in December when do Oxford usually inform candidates whether they have an interview or whether they have been rejected?
Generally sometime in the week before Christmas.
Reply 310
Isaiah Berlin
Generally sometime in the week before Christmas.

He was asking about interviews, not the final decision.

You'll know in late November or early December, possibly even just a week before your scheduled interview dates.
Reply 311
Nutter is correct! Sometimes Oxbridge try to prolong your suffering!
Actually they try to keep the decision of an interview quite close o the actual interview dates because they want to see how you prepare in a short space of ime with any reading they may give you! It's all about thinking on your feet!:smile:
"Are my grades good enough?
If you've come near the top of your school at GCSE/AS/A2, your grades are good enough for Oxbridge. Obviously the better the grades the better your chances, but you do not need outstanding exam grades to get in; they're only one part of the application. For the same reason, even amazing grades aren't in themselves enough to ensure you get an offer.
At the same time, Oxbridge students generally have A*'s at GCSE and A's at AS/A2 in subjects related to their course, and possibly across the board; you should aim to do the same, especially at A-level. "

Right, well, here's the thing. I do have mostly A*s at GCSE (8 of 'em), but overall in my school, I came about 30th. So does that mean I'm out of the running?
Not at all.
I'm doing the IB in Australia and didn't do the GCSE. In terms of grades, are the predicted IB grades the only ones that matter then if I apply to oxbridge or do you state the grades that you've been getting throughout your secondary schooling??:eek: cos that would be disastrous
Contact the universities you are planning on applying to, to determine what grades they would require in your case. :smile:
Reply 316
Hello

I took eight and a half GCSEs in year 11 (not many, I know) and got A*s in them all. I also took one AS level and got an A.

I am currently studying three AS levels and one A-level, and I am predicted four As. I think that I will get three good As, but will not get an A in my fourth subject. Hopeully I should get a B though.

Do Cambridge really care about this fourth AS Level? Especially since I should end up with three As at A-level.

Is it enough to ruin my application, since I imagine most candidates who are interviewed will have four As and similar GCSE reuslts?
Reply 317
Yep, sorry about the...I meant to post it in the other section.
Hopefully one of you guys can help me out. I'm from the US and Oxford is my first choice school, not to mention my dream school. It would be nice to talk to someone who got into oxford, but unfortunately, the people I know who has applied, have well......been rejected. What does Oxford look for more, cumulative grade point average, or AP/ SAT scores?
Reply 319
sarahroxmysox
Hopefully one of you guys can help me out. I'm from the US and Oxford is my first choice school, not to mention my dream school. It would be nice to talk to someone who got into oxford, but unfortunately, the people I know who has applied, have well......been rejected. What does Oxford look for more, cumulative grade point average, or AP/ SAT scores?

Oxford is very different to American colleges in that respects. There is a minimum standard of grades which will be necessary for you to get an interview, which you can probably find on their website, but with Oxford the interview is more important. Once you're interviewed you are more or less judged solely on that.

Grades can keep you out but they won't get you in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending