The Student Room Group

Would I be able to drop Further Maths after AS?

Hey everyone,

I start AS again in September and already plan on doing Maths, but now considering Further Maths.

Issue is due to difficulty I'd rather only do Further Maths AS (wouldn't be able to handle A2 alongside other subjects, and also don't like Mechanics) but I think the structure of the course at my college would not allow this. Can someone tell me if I'd be able to?

The structure at the college is:
AS Double Maths Students - C1 C2 C3 FP1 M1 S1.
AS Single Maths Students - C1 C2 S1

I'd have C1 C2 S1 to have AS Maths, but then only FP1 and M1 so I couldn't drop FM after AS or I won't get a FM qualification? Don't know why C3 is there?

If I'm right that I won't get a FM AS if I drop, A2 Single Maths at the college is C3 C4 S2, so if I was to also do D1 alongside those the following year would I then be awarded AS Further Maths, though would this work as the D1 unit would be a year after and not alongside the other two the previous year?

Otherwise if that's not possible could anyone tell me some recommendations for a fourth A-Level for Computer Science excluding Physics? Currently chosen: Computer Science, Maths, Graphics. I've considered instead for my fourth AS Electronics, and previously Psychology or History but they don't really relate to Comp Sci.
Original post by yellowcopter
Hey everyone,

I start AS again in September and already plan on doing Maths, but now considering Further Maths.

Issue is due to difficulty I'd rather only do Further Maths AS (wouldn't be able to handle A2 alongside other subjects, and also don't like Mechanics) but I think the structure of the course at my college would not allow this. Can someone tell me if I'd be able to?

I'd have C1 C2 S1 to have AS Maths, but then only FP1 and M1 so I couldn't drop FM after AS or I won't get a FM qualification? Don't know why C3 is there?

If I'm right that I won't get a FM AS if I drop, A2 Single Maths at the college is C3 C4 S2, so if I was to also do D1 alongside those the following year would I then be awarded AS Further Maths, though would this work as the D1 unit would be a year after and not alongside the other two the previous year?

Otherwise if that's not possible could anyone tell me some recommendations for a fourth A-Level for Computer Science excluding Physics? Currently chosen: Computer Science, Maths, Graphics. I've considered instead for my fourth AS Electronics, and previously Psychology or History but they don't really relate to Comp Sci.

Interesting. I see your school is more orientated towards students doing the full FM A level. You seem to do the 'easier' modules first year, possibly to give you a lot of time to work on the harder modules next year.
Are you sure you won't be able to do the full A level? It certainly requires dedication but not something you'd regret. Perhaps in year 13 you'll do C4 and 2 applied modules to get the AS in FM if you plan to drop it. Ask your sixth form if that's possible!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yellowcopter
Hey everyone,

For me, we did C1 C2 M1 S1 FP1 in AS, and studied C3 between AS exams and the summer holidays. The whole class started in September with C4, and we did M2 and S2 that year as well. The rest of the class carried on with the Further Maths A2 modules, and those of us who dropped at AS just didn't go to the lessons any more and instead revised the modules for Maths. I'm not sure if that's how it would work at your college, but I'd assume it was similar.

You're probably doing C3 in AS year to relieve the pressure in A2 year, particularly because it's a Further Maths class, so there are a lot more modules to get through.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Interesting. I see your school is more orientated towards students doing the full FM A level. You seem to do the 'easier' modules first year, possibly to give you a lot of time to work on the harder modules next year.
Are you sure you won't be able to do the full A level? It certainly requires dedication but not something you'd regret. Perhaps in year 13 you'll do C4 and 2 applied modules to get the AS in FM if you plan to drop it. Ask your sixth form if that's possible!

Yeah I'm guessing so, but I still fail to understand how it's all laid out. A2 Double Maths units are C4, FP2, FP3, M2, S2, D1.

Personally, I think doing Further Maths up to A2 would be too many units for me to cope with alongside 2 other A-Levels, for someone of my ability that is.

I only recently pushed myself to do Maths, and the only thing that's pushing me to do Further Maths was that the AS units don't seem too difficult. The A2 unit's such as M2 however I'd rather avoid. I already think I'd find M1 for AS too hard, but still want to take it on because it's a 1 unit and I think I might just be able to pass it if I put in the effort to tackle my hate for mechanics, and just in hope the other unit grades would balance it out a bit. :tongue:

Original post by leahdw
For me, we did C1 C2 M1 S1 FP1 in AS, and studied C3 between AS exams and the summer holidays. The whole class started in September with C4, and we did M2 and S2 that year as well. The rest of the class carried on with the Further Maths A2 modules, and those of us who dropped at AS just didn't go to the lessons any more and instead revised the modules for Maths. I'm not sure if that's how it would work at your college, but I'd assume it was similar.You're probably doing C3 in AS year to relieve the pressure in A2 year, particularly because it's a Further Maths class, so there are a lot more modules to get through.
It might be a very similar case to you then I presume as the college states my A2 units would be the same as yours C4, M2, S2 minus FP2, FP3 and D1 (which I assume are the A2 units you didn't do).That means I'd still have to do M2, arrrgh! :tongue:I think the best solution is that I'd have to talk to the college, but the next time I'll see them is enrolment so I'd need an on the spot decision. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest