Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

An Alternative American Revolution watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey there, i'm very interested in the American Revolution, i was wondering, if the British won (through better tactics, infrastructure, appeasment and possible capture of characters such as George Washington)

i reakon if the British won, we would have taken the colonies which rebelled, perhaps much of florida and spanish north america, but i think the rebels would have escaped west and set up their own independant colony and perhaps the world would be a very different place today ,

what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    hey there, i'm very interested in the American Revolution, i was wondering, if the British won (through better tactics, infrastructure, appeasment and possible capture of characters such as George Washington)

i reakon if the British won, we would have taken the colonies which rebelled, perhaps much of florida and spanish north america, but i think the rebels would have escaped west and set up their own independant colony and perhaps the world would be a very different place today ,

what do you guys think?
    no doubt the french would have given even more if things started gonig badly. Washington was very nearly killed, but managed to survive.

ReputationRep:
    yep ! Washington was very nearly killed by John Andre, but because of warfare etiquette he let him go,

funny thing is, George Washington ordered the arrest of John Andre and for him to be hanged like a spy, even though he was wearing his full military uniform , a spy would have been wearing normal clothes,

he was hanged illegally, they wanted Benedict Arnold back,

the Americans were wrong to do that, it really makes me angry how they deify people such as Washington and Light Horse Harry Lee,

but villify people such as Banastre Tarleton and make out he was a war criminal - why do Americans do that? hehehe

ReputationRep:
    yep ! Washington was very nearly killed by John Andre, but because of warfare etiquette he let him go,

funny thing is, George Washington ordered the arrest of John Andre and for him to be hanged like a spy, even though he was wearing his full military uniform , a spy would have been wearing normal clothes,

he was hanged illegally, they wanted Benedict Arnold back,

the Americans were wrong to do that, it really makes me angry how they deify people such as Washington and Light Horse Harry Lee,

but villify people such as Banastre Tarleton and make out he was a war criminal - why do Americans do that? hehehe
    Also, Washington has 2-3 horses shot out from under him, and found several bullet holes in his coat and hat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Also, Washington has 2-3 horses shot out from under him, and found several bullet holes in his coat and hat.

haha really? what luck !!

i think he's overrated in the US though, what i don't understand is that why didn't the British just head over to the meeting place of the Continental Congress? they knew where it was, and they could have had all the leaders

ReputationRep:
    it really makes me angry how they deify people such as Washington and Light Horse Harry Lee, but villify people such as Banastre Tarleton and make out he was a war criminal - why do Americans do that? hehehe
    We don't do that. No one villifies Banastre Tarleton in the USA. The American revolution happened a long time ago. I've moved on. Have you?

Americans (including myself) love the UK with a passion. We have a lot in common culturally. If you disagree, ask yourself this question: Do you prefer American television and movies or french and german television and movies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Americans (including myself) love the UK with a passion. We have a lot in common culturally. If you disagree, ask yourself this question: Do you prefer American television and movies or french and german television and movies?
    Well First of all you can't really compare them because French and German films, mainly, are NOT in English !!!!! OF course an English person 'd prefer to watch a film in his or her own language!
    2ndly American "Movies" are high budget movies therefore you get better special effects etc... Again people like that sort of thing.

So yes i prefer American Movies to French or German So we "have a lot in common culturally" lol

ReputationRep:
    its quite crazy to think how different the world would have been if the english had won....though of course it is fraught with difficulties to rtry and imagine how history would have played out. i quite like 'what if' history even if i am not meant to (as a history student we were always warned against it)

ReputationRep:
    what do you guys think?
    There would soon have been a bloody British war of Independence.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.