The Student Room Group

Should drug addicts and obese people have their benefits cut?

Poll

Should drug addicts and the obsese who are not in treatment have their benefits cut?

The government is reviewing whether obese people and drug addicts should be given benefits if they are not accepting treatment. Seems pretty unfair to me, given that an unwillingness to be treated is one of the symptoms of addiction...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/29/benefits-drugs-alcohol-obesity-refusing-treatment-review
No.

Addiction is an issue and not one that will be dealt with by removing benefits.

There are easier targets then these folks but then I suppose they are an easy target
See, the better thing would be the legalize them as Tobacco is now, and allow them to cover their own healthcare and benefits costs like tobacco users do through VAT.

The drugs and obesity aren't the only thing. We also need to stop people on benefits from using them on Tobacco and Alcohol.
Please, I implore you, stop making threads linking to a dull article & asking for our thoughts D:
Reply 4
Original post by TomatoLounge
Seems pretty unfair to me, given that an unwillingness to be treated is one of the symptoms of addiction...

All the more reason they need treatment.

Original post by TornadoGR4
Please, I implore you, stop making threads linking to a dull article & asking for our thoughts D:

But mostly this. Same goes for Guppyfox or whatever his name is.
Original post by TornadoGR4

it's how a discussion forum works.

you know what to do if you don't like it (and no it's not to go on a killing spree)
Reply 6
yes
Of course. People who use their benefits for drugs are misusing their money and clearly have surplus money if they can spend it on non-necessities.
Addicts in America don't really have benefits, and the level of depravity, misery and spillover to the ordinary world is far greater. They get more involved in criminality, more people are imprisoned (which costs the taxpayer more), insurance premiums go up because more break ins and car thefts are occurring.

This will cost more money in the long term than it saves. Even Thatcher accepted that, for example, it was better to provide clean needles to addicts thus saving them from HIV, than to take a smug and arrogant high horse position. That's why HIV rates among addicts are much higher in America (like five times higher), and of course the state ends up paying for that.

Modest investments in support for drug addicts pays excellent dividends
Not everyone is obese because they eat too much. I've been on medication which causes weight gain.
Original post by OU Student
Not everyone is obese because they eat too much. I've been on medication which causes weight gain.

That is a very small minority of people. The vast majority of people who are obese are in their state due to poor nutrition and/or laziness to exercise. Even the people who are on medication that cause weight gain don't go from healthy to obese solely because of their medication.

This obesity-acceptance movement disguised as fat-shaming that is running rampant needs to stop.
Original post by TomatoLounge
The government is reviewing whether obese people and drug addicts should be given benefits if they are not accepting treatment. Seems pretty unfair to me, given that an unwillingness to be treated is one of the symptoms of addiction...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/29/benefits-drugs-alcohol-obesity-refusing-treatment-review

As somebody who's gotten fat myself i agree with this a lot. This is especially the case when you consider that campaigners are pushing the ludicrous idea that the obese should be classed as disabled and receive benefits accordingly.

Your a minority.

Would medications make you gain 100 lbs? Instead of eating junkfood obese people with 'medical conditions' could try something less calorie-dense food.
Reply 13
Hard to monitor. What level of drug usage would be considered bad enough to no longer receive benefits? My opinion: drugs yes, obesity no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending