Turn on thread page Beta

Weekly costs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A question:
    My dad and I have been working out firgures for Oxford, and we have found meal prices and accomodation charges from the college website. But, for general expenses - not for food or accomodation, we have agreed that £30 per week is ample. Is this the case or is it too low/high? We have also budgeted £250 a year for society fees etc., again is this about right?
    TIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    A question:
    My dad and I have been working out firgures for Oxford, and we have found meal prices and accomodation charges from the college website. But, for general expenses - not for food or accomodation, we have agreed that £30 per week is ample. Is this the case or is it too low/high? We have also budgeted £250 a year for society fees etc., again is this about right?
    TIA
    £30 is enough, not partically high or low; I get by on that amount.

By social costs do you mean Ball tickets, Society formals, ect? If so £250 can be ample dependant on how many/what ones you go to. For instance the Magdalen Ball costs £200 for a ticket, but the Queen's one only costs £80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    A question:
    TIA
    I didn't bother with joining any societies properly; just get occasional emails from them. Mostly you can still go to events even as a non-member. They don't usually charge that much for membership, though, so £250 would be plenty - that would cover the Union and a fair few more smaller societies.

£30 a week - guess it depends what you call general expense! I live on about £50/week to cover food, stationery, phone credit any other bits from shops that I actually need rather than just want etc... and most going out. That leaves enough in my overall budget to have some money left at the end of term for buying the books that I need over the holiday and for the next term, and also a bit for special occasions like going out for meals on birthdays and getting people prezzies etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Have you ever consider a career in accountancy?
    oh it's only my money i care about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Tell me, how do I become an honourary Scot for loans purposes? I'm sure your system works better than mine, I'm poor too but the form says I'm not as it takes account of the last year's earnings my dad has, even though he doesn't work now. I don't know how that will work but I'll probably still get the standard £2000 loan. Poop.
    Uh... as I understand it to be Scottish you must;

*Have been normally resident here for around twelve years or so
    *Have a history of petulantly putting 'Scottish' on any official form which ever asked you your nationality, even when it wasn't an option.
    *Be able to sign 'Oh flower of Scotland' but not in tune, you must talk enthusiastically of caleighs but only ever be able to remember dance for the 'Gay Gordons', 'The Dashing White Sergent' and, of course, 'Strip the Willow'.
    *You must have participated at at least Burns suppers but when asked to quote a burns poem fumble your way through the first verse of 'Tae a Mouse', mutter something about "Chieftain o' the puddin' race..." and then start singing 'Auld Lang Sine'.
    *You must remind people often that the television, the telephone and penicilin were all Scottish inventions - no matter how irelevant to the subject at hand this is. If people protest you must remind them that Lord Kelvin was from Glasgow.
    *If you are from the east, you must view those from the west as unemployed scum. If you are from the west you must view those from the east as miserable junkies. If you are from the south you must view those from the north as kilt-wearing hicks. If you are from the north you are a kilt-wearing hick. ( Here east is Edinburgh, west is Glasgow and the north is some mythical place near Brigadoon ).
    *You must put up with the English congratulating themselves on being English while congratulating you on being British.
    *You must be cold and damp all year round except for about two weeks in June, just about when all the neds leave for Ibiza and the Costa Del Sol.

Sure, the loans are good; but is it really worth it.

( On a more serious note; John Keegan's history of Scotland is exceptional - faster pussy-cat, read, read! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    hmm..i shall manipulate my spreadsheet for entertainment expenditure..lol

evening activities so far this week has included..

takeaway pizza, £11
    post 8s party maxwells £15
    salsa class & bar £5

i would don't think i've spent over £20 on one night out..maybe is it included a meal as well.. but most clubs ~£4/5 to get in.. nice cocktail places ~4 a drink (but i don't need many!) or alcopop pints for ~£1.50 & sometimes deals on doubles &mixers so they're cheap. walk there & back. oh & £1 for cloakroom. & £2 for food on way back!
    "Ah, 'tis like the singing of the angels themselves."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)

*Have a history of petulantly putting 'Scottish' on any official form which ever asked you your nationality, even when it wasn't an option.
    *Be able to sign 'Oh flower of Scotland' but not in tune, you must talk enthusiastically of caleighs but only ever be able to remember dance for the 'Gay Gordons', 'The Dashing White Sergent' and, of course, 'Strip the Willow'.
    *You must have participated at at least Burns suppers but when asked to quote a burns poem fumble your way through the first verse of 'Tae a Mouse', mutter something about "Chieftain o' the puddin' race..." and then start singing 'Auld Lang Sine'.
    *You must remind people often that the television, the telephone and penicilin were all Scottish inventions - no matter how irelevant to the subject at hand this is. If people protest you must remind them that Lord Kelvin was from Glasgow.
    *If you are from the east, you must view those from the west as unemployed scum. If you are from the west you must view those from the east as miserable junkies. If you are from the south you must view those from the north as kilt-wearing hicks. If you are from the north you are a kilt-wearing hick. ( Here east is Edinburgh, west is Glasgow and the north is some mythical place near Brigadoon ).
    *You must put up with the English congratulating themselves on being English while congratulating you on being British.
    *You must be cold and damp all year round except for about two weeks in June, just about when all the neds leave for Ibiza and the Costa Del Sol.

( On a more serious note; John Keegan's history of Scotland is exceptional - faster pussy-cat, read, read! )
    *slinks off to cave, feeling guilty for having besmirched the nation's name*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    *slinks off to cave, feeling guilty for having besmirched the nation's name*
    Well that's just the official view. If you can sing off-key then that's good enough for me!

ReputationRep:
    Well that's just the official view. If you can sing off-key then that's good enough for me!
    That's me in, then!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I come under one of those! Don't ask. But I want to know what inspires someone to write an ode to a foodstuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Well, I come under one of those! Don't ask. But I want to know what inspires someone to write an ode to a foodstuff!
    Aha! But it was not just any foodstuff - it was the 'Scottish' foodstuff. It was all part of the faux-Scottish movement so gloriously epitomised by Walter Scott. I love the man for 'Tales of a Scottish Grandfather' and 'Rob Roy' but at the end of the day he was just obscuring the answer to the question; "What does it mean to be Scottish?". At the end of the day I have a fairly low opinion of all the kilt-wearing, haggis-eating, burns-reciting flim-flam bunkum that the Victorians declared to be Scottishness. Nineteenth century Orientalism if you ask me.

That said, Caleighs are ****ing excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Caleighs are fun if you get into the spirit.

My sister wants one for her 18th!

ReputationRep:

You spelt ceilidh wrong, and Auld Lang Syne wrong, and penicillin wrong I think. Call yourself Scottish And more importantly an AH English student .

ReputationRep:
    The bass player from the Darkness went to you school! Cool!

What school would that be may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    Aha! But it was not just any foodstuff - it was the 'Scottish' foodstuff. It was all part of the faux-Scottish movement so gloriously epitomised by Walter Scott. I love the man for 'Tales of a Scottish Grandfather' and 'Rob Roy' but at the end of the day he was just obscuring the answer to the question; "What does it mean to be Scottish?". At the end of the day I have a fairly low opinion of all the kilt-wearing, haggis-eating, burns-reciting flim-flam bunkum that the Victorians declared to be Scottishness. Nineteenth century Orientalism if you ask me.

That said, Caleighs are ****ing excellent.
    argh how can you like walter scott this is the 21st century. and edward said was so last century too. get out of the past and your pathetic traditions, go and listen to some britney spears. and caleighs '****ing' excellent? lol, i'd say britney would disagree with you there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leda swanson)
    argh how can you like walter scott this is the 21st century. and edward said was so last century too. get out of the past and your pathetic traditions, go and listen to some britney spears. and caleighs '****ing' excellent? lol, i'd say britney would disagree with you there
    Damn, Britney Spears' opinion is so important to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Damn, Britney Spears' opinion is so important to me!
    her opinion should be important to you helenia, because she's very rich and influential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leda swanson)
    her opinion should be important to you helenia, because she's very rich and influential.
    She has absolutely no influence over me or anybody important in my life, so why should I care what she (or any other random famous person you would care to name) thinks?

ReputationRep:
    Rich? Pah! Influential? My posterior.
    The day I care about Britney Spears is the day I have a lobotomy :rolleyes:

(Original post by Sophetta)
    Royal High. I think he went there for a few years ages and ages ago. Or so I read in the paper.......

Umm, maybe they will have got him as the past pupil guest for the prizigiving this year, although I somehow doubt it.
    Don't think I've heard of it. I'm sure it's fabulous if you go there

I know he's from Alva, which is around where I lived after I was born.

Slight intermission: There's a couple of blokes in kilts crossing the road outside my house! cool!

(Original post by hiroki)
    hhhmmm so £100 a week should be plenty?.... good good ill be able to put some by for clothes etc!... thanks everyone!

but can i ask?! how can it be so cheap for everyone? surely u go out and u can easily spend £30 in a night... so what does that leave most ppls tallys with? £20 a week on food if you only go out once a week?... i dont have a clue it seems?... or is going out in oxford REALLY cheap?

hiroki
    well you can go out and easily spend an awful lot more than £30, as well. It doesn't mean you have to! Especially as a student there's always stuff to do that isnt chokingly expensive

rosie

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.