Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    that's really good! i'm a bit worried though..dad told me not to get a student loan...he's getting a pay rise in the autumn and the bonus should just about cover all my living costs...but only probably if i live on baked beans all term.....
    But do you want to be entirely dependent on your parents the whole time?

F. Poste - I have nowhere near enough upper body strength or body tension to do that! Heaven help any man who ever tries it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    I dunno. To my mind there's a difference between self-assuredness and sociopathy. It isn't good to be completely oblivious to the opinions of others; after all didn't momma say "stupid is as stupid does".

But enough on this subject. Time for a radical injection of something completely different;

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/presaddress2.shtml
    Ahh yes, this is done really well! Almost as if his scriptwriter had actually written it out for him and he'd just read it out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    that's really good! i'm a bit worried though..dad told me not to get a student loan...he's getting a pay rise in the autumn and the bonus should just about cover all my living costs...but only probably if i live on baked beans all term.....
    It's up to you. I mean the whole point student loans exist is for the people whose dad's bonuses can't cover their living expenses .

Between the student finance and what I've got save up I should have £6000 - £7000 come October. If I work during the summer I can't forsee any problems ( I have a puritan's palate when it comes to food and have very little interest in clothes so my living expenses are practically zero, mawahaha! ).

ReputationRep:
    I agree that people who are more confident and less self-conscious are more likely to dance, but I disagree that how well they dance depends on that too. I like to dance at discos etc but I still can't dance - I just have no co-ordination!

I also agree that without music it would look really stupid no matter how good you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    I agree that people who are more confident and less self-conscious are more likely to dance, but I disagree that how well they dance depends on that too. I like to dance at discos etc but I still can't dance - I just have no co-ordination!

I also agree that without music it would look really stupid no matter how good you are!
    It's impossible to dance without any form of music. When there is no external source you make one internally ( even a simply body rthym is a form of music ) so you don't tend to look stupid as much as... kind of crazy.

Something I've noticed; it IS socially acceptable to whistle while walking down the street but it is NOT socially acceptable to sing. Why is this?

ReputationRep:
    Something I've noticed; it IS socially acceptable to whistle while walking down the street but it is NOT socially acceptable to sing. Why is this?
    It is in Clare :rolleyes: bloody musos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It is in Clare :rolleyes: bloody musos.
    Ever seen that episode of friends where Ross moves into Joey's room temporarily? I want to grow up to be that crazy man!

"Morning’s here! The morning’s here! Sunshine is here! The sky is clear, the morning’s here! Get into gear! Breakfast is near! The dark of night has disappeared...."

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to dance without any form of music. When there is no external source you make one internally ( even a simply body rthym is a form of music ) so you don't tend to look stupid as much as... kind of crazy.

Yes, that's me looking kind of crazy. Perhaps it's because you're more likely to be out of tune and louder while singing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused.

People spending £40-50 a week - is that including food - ie lunches in college etc? Or does that all go on a card and you pay at the end (I think they do that at Emma or something)

ReputationRep:
    i spend a bit more than £50, but yes, that includes food for me as i mostly buy my own or pay up front. we can use an EPOS type thing with our BOD cards with money on in Hall too though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i spend a bit more than £50, but yes, that includes food for me as i mostly buy my own or pay up front. we can use an EPOS type thing with our BOD cards with money on in Hall too though.
    Aah, thanks. Do you know - do most first years eat in college, or do they do the same as you and buy there own?

ReputationRep:
    depends on the college, TBH. some other medics i know have an opt out system at theirs..where you're charged for the Hall food & have to let them know in advance if you don't want to pay for a specific meal :eek:

i rarely eat in hall..awkward times, cheaper not to etc. but most other first years have at least 1 meal a day there i think & a significant number of people don't cook themselves at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    Aah, thanks. Do you know - do most first years eat in college, or do they do the same as you and buy there own?
    Down here at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, we have the system where if we go to hall then it gets put on ur mealcard ...like a credit card...and you pay it at the end of term.

I believe quite alot of the first years have dinner in hall, lunch for sometimes maybe.....and not that many for breakfast....(I think I've been like twice this year )

It really depends what you're doing - whether you're in college or your work as to if you eat in hall. There are basic kitchens for the food connoiseurs (?) amongst us

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.