The Student Room Group

What are the chances of getting into a graduate scheme with my current situation?

Hello!

I am going to be entering into my final year of university and I am wanting to get into a graduate scheme which is to do with marketing. However, the problem is that I do not have any experience in the sector despite having dreamed of pursuing a career in this industry when I chose what to study.

I am currently studying a degree in an average university where my degree is marketing relevant, however I didn't manage to get into an internship after applying to many companies big and small and so this summer is pretty much wasted. This makes me very anxious and scared that I won't be able to get a graduate job since I can't even secure myself an internship. One of the things which I believe is stopping me from getting an internship is that I get very nervous at phone interviews and so I always fail at this stage in the application process. Another reason is that my CV isn't very strong which includes:

working as a committee member at a society
sales temp at a highstreet shop
exchange student abroad during 2nd year
librarian at school
sales assistant during work experience

I am hoping to get a first when I graduate since that's what I've been getting these past few years, however I feel and I know that a good degree class isn't enough to make companies want me.

What can I do from now to get my chances up of securing a graduate job/scheme after graduation? Please help!!!!
Reply 1
64%
Original post by dummie
Hello!

I am going to be entering into my final year of university and I am wanting to get into a graduate scheme which is to do with marketing. However, the problem is that I do not have any experience in the sector despite having dreamed of pursuing a career in this industry when I chose what to study.

I am currently studying a degree in an average university where my degree is marketing relevant, however I didn't manage to get into an internship after applying to many companies big and small and so this summer is pretty much wasted. This makes me very anxious and scared that I won't be able to get a graduate job since I can't even secure myself an internship. One of the things which I believe is stopping me from getting an internship is that I get very nervous at phone interviews and so I always fail at this stage in the application process. Another reason is that my CV isn't very strong which includes:

librarian at school

I am hoping to get a first when I graduate since that's what I've been getting these past few years, however I feel and I know that a good degree class isn't enough to make companies want me.

What can I do from now to get my chances up of securing a graduate job/scheme after graduation? Please help!!!!

you still have some work experience in sales as well as a few EC's, big up the skills you gained from them according to what the job asks for. If you are struggling with phone interviews, prepare some notes to have in front of you, practice speaking out loud.
I don't think you'll get on to a marketing graduate scheme, these schemes get over 80 application son average and only 14% of graduates get on them. However most students end up in non-grad roles, so this isn't a failure, it's the norm.

Many students have work experience relevant to the grad role and most of them won't make it. So not having that experience pretty much puts you out of the running. I would aim to get that experience over the next few months, perhaps by volunteering to do a small business's marketing/social media, and joining clubs or university societies that involve marketing.

You can also try again to get internships, here's a great article aimed at students and graduates that says how to improve your CV and application (and it's 2000 words so pretty detailed)! Good luck!

http://www.talentcupboard.com/employability/how-to-create-a-cv-that-stands-out-to-employers/
I agree with James, you don't stand a chance of getting onto a marketing graduate scheme unless you have some hefty marketing experience through either internships or working in entry level marketing department jobs. They are simply ultra competitive.

I also recommend applying to small businesses to help run their marketing / social media. You should also decide the areas of marketing that are most interesting to you and improve the relevant skills, e.g. if you want to work in online stuff, improve your IT skills and stats / maths. Learn about Google Analytics, start a blog, etc.

There are so many good marketing / PR jobs out there in medium sized businesses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dummie
Hello!

librarian at school

Hi,

If you're concerned about not having enough marketing experience, until you are able to get a job that can give you solid experience in marketing, why don't you try and create some of your own opportunities to gain experience?

A few things you can do include:

- Starting a blog and promoting it
- Setting up a website/start-up
- Offering your services as a freelancer to help promote any local projects/initiatives

These are just a few ideas, but hope it helps!

Chantelle & The Milkround Team

Quick Reply

Latest