GaelicBolshevik
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm considering Queen's since I have a good bit of family in the North (although not in Antrim - Fermanagh, probably able to tell from the name). However, I've been told that 'Southerners' and Catholics/nationalists get a bit of a hard time.
Considering that I'm all three but I'd be applying from England I have been warned, especially since I'd be trying out for the hurling and football (GAA) teams and be getting involved in a bit of the auld Sinn Fein since it's within my family's political leanings ()

So I'd like to know from the (Irish) Catholics who are there currently or been there recently(Southerners included): Is it an equal number of Catholics to Prods, or is there an imbalance/dominance, since that's what I've been seeing lately in the North, especially in places like Enniskillen, Belfast and other towns? And does it depend what course you do, because I'd be interested in the old PPE or similar?
MichaelGrant
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys!

To answer your question: there is absolutely no bother at all in terms of the catholic/protestant issue at QUB and - you'll be please to know - we even have our own, well-renowned QUB GAA. My name is Michael and I'm the editor for the Belfast branch of The Tab (http://thetab.com/uk/belfast/). We're part of The Tab online student newspaper that has branches in 59 universities in the UK & US. We get 3,000,000 views per month and our average article is read 8,000 times; So we're just like you're average student newspaper that keeps you informed on all the local goings-on, except we're nationwide.

For any of you looking for a bit more information about what it's like to live at QUB - or any of you that might be interested in building your CV and making some friends before you even arrive by writing for us - follow the link to our website (http://thetab.com/uk/belfast/) or like our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/thetabbelfast?fref=ts) to read some stories and news of what it's like being a student here.

Hope to see you at freshers!

Cheers,
Michael
Stephanie_12
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi, Irish Catholic from the North here! Also a Queen's University student, in my experience I honestly can't tell if there is an imbalance in the amount of Protestant/Catholic ratio, simply because its never came up! And I'm a history student that actually studies these things, I was apprehensive at first about how people would react to me in Uni, but Queen's would never tolerate any kind of sectarianism! I know that there are Catholic students, and I know that there are Protestant students, I don't know how many and its never been an issue for me!

Anyway, good luck and I'm sure if you choose Queen's you'll enjoy it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (188)
41.96%
The paper was reasonable (198)
44.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.71%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
5.13%

Watched Threads