The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Manchester Metropolitan "University" was set up recently (last 40 yrs) in a government initiative. It doesn't rank as a "proper" as in old style university, and used to be called a Polytechnic.

The University of Manchester (UMIST and The University of Manchester combined 2005) offers all traditional courses, has a world renound reputation, and recently recieved a government grant to make it one of the top unis in the world, up there with Oxford, Cambridge and Durham. They're building new stuff everywhere!

Look on the websites, The University of Manchester is www.man.ac.uk or www.manchester.ac.uk

Basically its up to you, but MMU is not as high in the tables as UoM, nor does it offer the same scope of courses, nor is the teaching standard as high, nor is it add to your job prospects for all but certain courses.

I'm NOT having a go at MMU, I'm answering the question. You might find MMU better for some subjects EG Architecture.
Achitecture is jointly run by both MU and MMU.
Reply 3
oops...*stops there*
Reply 4
Manchester Uni has a long history as a distinct institution, whilst Manchester Met has also has a long history but as many disparate institutions. Met was not only an ex Poly but had a large number of institutions amalgamated into it including The College of Adult Education, Hollings College and the Colleges of Education (Didsbury College of Education was one of the most respected colleges in the country), the Manchester College of Art (Valette was a lecturer there) and many other fine and respected academic institutions. In other words both have a long history of service to the city and wider community.

Having said that there is no doubt that Manchester Uni has a higher reputation (although the Met is highly rated in some areas), and that Manchester Uni covers many more subjects that are in the traditionally academic areas.

They share the same campus, and there is a great deal of integration (and rivalry) between the two unis.
Reply 5
Man Met students on the whole, tend to smell. they don't brush their teeth or comb their hair. they like to eat figs and kittens, and they speak in a strange language.

University of Manchester students suffer from insomnia and post strange messages on message boards which potential UoM students read and think WTF? Every UoM student is also an excellent procrastinator.

Whilst reading this:

if you thought 'WTF? this guy is wierd!' you belong at UoM

if you thought 'this guy is offensive, he really shouldnt say things like that' you dont belong at university because you are just too thick.

if you smelled yourself whilst peeling a fig, well, i think we ALL know where you belong!!

BUT

in all seriousness, it depends what course you want to study and what aspects of the subject you want to look more closely at!

anyone that takes anything before the BUT seriously and replies in a 'raaah' fasion is stupid...you have been forewarned!!
Reply 6
Man Met rejected me, U of M accepted me. Thats the difference for me!

Man Met students seem nice and friendly
Manchester students seem snobby and mean

Im at UofM before i get backlash for that comment, its just the way my fellow students have treated me upon hearing my manc accent. You'd think id fit in, being from manchester and studying here. No chance.
Reply 7
xnovoca1nex

Im at UofM before i get backlash for that comment, its just the way my fellow students have treated me upon hearing my manc accent. You'd think id fit in, being from manchester and studying here. No chance.

hey

what do you study?

you seem to have fallen in with some real arses on your course

come to drama, we are all lovely! (as one would expect!)

Jx
Reply 8
xnovoca1nex

I love the Mancunian accent, it makes me swoon! :love: And I will be at UoM so come and find me baby!
Reply 9
MMU is very mixed, some of their courses frankly are a joke, but the same can be said to some of Manchester's. Every university has cash cow courses which only serve the purpose as a money generator.

MMU students are usually more down to earth and perhaps less snobby but MMU suffers a 24 four hour party people reputation. Some people go there with no intention of studying and just getting drunk.

In the main though MMU does keep up to high standards but it will have problems finding the high quality students Manchester has. However as Manchester's entry standards rise so are Salford and MMU's.

Manchester is the most popular destination for students and there ought to be no excuse for weak universities, thankfully the three main central university in Greater Manchester are not weak compared to standards of TVU or London Met.

In general Manchester is a lot better than both MMU and Salford but it is like comparing a Merc E class to a Ford Focus both are very goods cars they are just in different leagues.

It is probably fair to say that MMU has a very important place in gettiing normal people from very average backgrounds into HE and that is no bad thing.
Reply 10
xnovoca1nex

i'm sorry you feel that way! it's sad that youve experienced that, but that is in no way indidcative of my experience of students there! I encountered very few snobs from either. Every place has its share of knobs. I didn't hang out with many man met students though. however they did get banned from the library, did they not? There you are, that's the difference, Man Met-ers are more rowdy.

AT82
It is probably fair to say that MMU has a very important place in gettiing normal people from very average backgrounds into HE and that is no bad thing.

Yes but the same can be said for Manchester as well. I'm not disagreeing but that makes it sound like the UoM is full of overprivaliged toffs, which isn't necessarily the case.
Are the tuition fees for MMU substantially less?
Reply 12
Both are the same set at the maximum allowed.

I was getting at the fact that people from poorer backgrounds won't as easily get the same A level grades as richer people so won't have the same chances.

Also MMU do a lot more in the way of foundation courses, diplomas etc which gives people HE without doing a fully grown degree, perhaps for people that do not have the time for it.

As for toff's Manchester at least seems to have a lot less of them than other universities of similar standard (or even worse).
Reply 13
Edit for the record MMU students did not just get banned from the library. Some Manchester students were banned from the university full stop for being rowdy in the library. However Manchester could not expell MMU students so they banned them for a week until MMU could draw up a list of who the offenders were, these people were then banned from the library.
Reply 14
AT82
Edit for the record MMU students did not just get banned from the library. Some Manchester students were banned from the university full stop for being rowdy in the library. However Manchester could not expell MMU students so they banned them for a week until MMU could draw up a list of who the offenders were, these people were then banned from the library.

Ah right. i remember seeing the "you are banned until further notice" signs and wondered why. I thought it was a bit harsh, especially when i went in to do some revision and saw a bunch of girls being very rowdy and eating sweets and stuff, they were doing GCSE and A level revision so i have no idea how they got in.
Reply 15
Iv always found uom students to be very hostile towards anything related MMU.
Reply 16
Jono310
Man Met students on the whole, tend to smell. they don't brush their teeth or comb their hair. they like to eat figs and kittens, and they speak in a strange language.

University of Manchester students suffer from insomnia and post strange messages on message boards which potential UoM students read and think WTF? Every UoM student is also an excellent procrastinator.

Whilst reading this:

if you thought 'WTF? this guy is wierd!' you belong at UoM

if you thought 'this guy is offensive, he really shouldnt say things like that' you dont belong at university because you are just too thick.

if you smelled yourself whilst peeling a fig, well, i think we ALL know where you belong!!

BUT

in all seriousness, it depends what course you want to study and what aspects of the subject you want to look more closely at!

anyone that takes anything before the BUT seriously and replies in a 'raaah' fasion is stupid...you have been forewarned!!

Lmfao you absolute ledgend... I nearly pissed myself - which wouldn't be a bad thing as my legs are cold - cos I couldn't stop laughing, maybe I'm just too easily amused?

Anyway you get pos rep for that.

As for the thread, obviously the exact answer is course dependant. However, generally UoM requires higher grades for people to gain entry on to the same course, so you could assume the course is taught to a higher standard or at least has higer ratings. This means better job prospects at the end. UoM is funded largely by research too, don't think MMU is, but someone could correct me on that.

Anyway, you get the picture, both very good unis, but just in slightly different leagues.
Reply 17
The Uni of Manc is a proper uni unlike MMU! Its abit like LJMU and the Uni of Liverpool - its the second best :p:
to be honest i think the two unis aren't comparable in terms of the experience you'll have there. that is to say, you may be with snobs/morons/wonderful people/caring people no matter what walk of life you intend to enter. i just say take the bull by the horns and see what your uni has to offer. and if i'm honest, from my personal experience, fitting into any uni can be hard as the situation can feel quite surreal. in all honesty, my uni lifestyle didn't feel like a norm until near the end of my first year.

and jono310's right, drama people rule lol!
Manchester has a better reputation and generally harder courses than MMU, the courses are usually run seperatly but i've found alot of the extra-curricular activities are run together, the universities are all along the same road basically. but asking the difference between them is like asking the difference between oxford and oxford brookes

Latest

Trending

Trending