misslily98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am about to start year 13 in september and want to apply for history at uni, I am interested in doing an EPQ on something linked to history, ideally focusing around the Spanish Civil War, but was told by my Sixth Form that doing an EPQ to do with history is basically impossible as you can't carry out primary research. I've seen lots of posts about history based EPQ's on TSR so i'm confused as to whether it is possible or not, and if so how to do the primary research?
Fleming1928
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by misslily98)
I am about to start year 13 in september and want to apply for history at uni, I am interested in doing an EPQ on something linked to history, ideally focusing around the Spanish Civil War, but was told by my Sixth Form that doing an EPQ to do with history is basically impossible as you can't carry out primary research. I've seen lots of posts about history based EPQ's on TSR so i'm confused as to whether it is possible or not, and if so how to do the primary research?
I'm doing my EPQ on Mussolini. Of course you can do your EPQ on a historical topic. May I ask, what modules are you doing for A2? In one of our modules this year we have to come up with our own topic and question, conduct our own research and then write a 3 thousand word essay on the significance over time/across time of our chosen event (I chose the significance of Stalin's Great Purge). Doing EPQ qill be quite similar to this.
The best way to do primary research is to READ BOOKS written by historians. It's best to collect a lot of historian views which oppose each other, in order for you to come up with your own conclusion.
If it's possible, I recommend that you get the 'History advanced core texts by John Hite and Chris Hinton' on your chosen topic. Their books are amazing, as in the single book you get a lot of historian views. These books have facts as well as opinions, which is exactly what you'll need.
Now .. I'm not sure if there is a version for the Spanish Civil War, I own 3 books from the series: Fascist Italy, Weimar & Nazi Germany and Communist Russia under Lenin and Stalin. The series has many more books eg Tudors. You should do some research and decide what you want to do, maybe you could even change your chosen topic because that book is really all you'll need.
On a different note, it's also a good idea to watch documentaries as they also always have a lot of historian views. Then it will be easy to pick a specific part of your chosen topic to write about (The Spanish Civil War may be to broad).
I also want to study history at university, best of luck!
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by misslily98)
I did a History EPQ (Unification of Germany) too and got 47/50, which should be an A* depending on grade boundaries. Not bragging- just want to point out that it CAN be done!

Best thing to do is choose a topic- Spanish Civil War- and carry out as much preliminary research as possible so that you can produce a working title for your EPQ. I recommend- if this topic is completely new to you- reading as many simple overviews/summaries of the topic so you have an awareness of where to go next. Take note/bookmark all of these sources as you will need to reference them later on! Once you have conducted this preliminary research, try and formulate an *evaluative title from there. Say, for example, the sources you have used so far are speculative as to why the Spanish Civil War broke out, (don't know this topic- just trying to help with initial stages of EPQ!) your question could be: To what extent was ______ responsible for the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War? (DATES).

I find the 'Access to History' books really useful! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Access-To-Hi.../dp/0340701374

Use Google Books/libraries for any relevant historiography, save buying the books! A random one I have found just through googling 'Spanish Civil War books' can be found here: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...%20war&f=false

*By 'evaluative' title I mean an original question that will enable you to bring existing historians' views to the table as well as your own independent judgement. They are usually 'To what extent'/'How far' kind of questions and will contain a topic- in this case Spanish Civil War- and a steer, eg- how far ____ was responsible for the outbreak of war. In a History EPQ, I highly advise you to incorporate dates into your title- make sure they are relevant dates that you can justify in your introduction!

Hope this helps! Anything else, feel free to dm me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads