The Student Room Group

Discussion: what happened to Maddy McCann?

In light of the investigation of a fair-haired girl being found near Adalaide in Australia, I want to hear what people think happened on that fateful night.

I'm not here to accuse anyone, and neither should any of you, but this is pure speculation.

I actually think something went wrong that night - far worse than abduction. I lean more towards manslaughter.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

100% agree with you. the whole story just doesn't sound right
Original post by missaxo
100% agree with you. the whole story just doesn't sound right

So you think maybe that the parents overdosed her with something and then disposed of her body? Or?
Original post by VotreAltesse
So you think maybe that the parents overdosed her with something and then disposed of her body? Or?

yeah deffo. probably gave her something to put her to sleep so she wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night whilst they were away. the only thing i find strange is if that did happen why wasn't her body found? they must have searched the surrounding area so so many times, I just find it so weird. I don't think she's alive, and the fact that her parents are milking it and making money from it is just disgusting
I think and hope she's dead, to be honest. I'm not sure what happened at the beginning - I didn't follow it too much to be fair but I don't really have a clue generally. I think it's horrible though and I definitely don't think her parents had ANYTHING to do with it.
Original post by ivybridge
I think and hope she's dead, to be honest. I'm not sure what happened at the beginning - I didn't follow it too much to be fair but I don't really have a clue generally. I think it's horrible though and I definitely don't think her parents had ANYTHING to do with it.

What makes you think that?
What do you think?

I think they did it, or know more than they let on, so unless one or both of them fess up we'll never discover the truth, because the only authorities that were interested in investigating them were shut down by the McCanns kicking off and leaning on British authorities to pressure them into a stand down.
What makes you think that?

I just don't. From hearing the story often enough, watching interviews, seeing their relentless pursuits to find the kidnappers and so on. I just don't think they did - gut instinct you could say.
Reply 8
Parents over-medicated her, she died, they panicked and dumped the body, then came up with the abduction story.
Most likely the parents know more than they are letting on. Some gut feeling just doesn't allow me to trust those parents whenever I see them talk. Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, but the entire case was odd from the beginning.
It does seem very odd that one, there was no apparent sign of a break in or struggle bar the window apparently being open. Two, I have never heard of any parent (emphasis on me personally) leaving three children in a hotel room whilst they go and have a meal elsewhere. Three, no CCTV footage..nothing?
I think I saw her the other day
Her parents are definitely hiding everything, Gerry seems like a Hannibal Lecter type too :erm:
Original post by missaxo
the fact that her parents are milking it and making money from it is just disgusting

A despicable thing to say when all you've got to go on is that 'it just doesn't sound right'.
Like others are saying, it just seems to all be smoke and mirrors; like most things happening these days in the world at large. I don't wan't to accuse to parents or anyone else based on a "hunch" but nothing felt right from this case and anything could be possible.
These parents don't look like the kind who would do that, so it would seem off if they were involved. Also how can some you suggest it was her parents when they paid thousands of pounds for private detectives and made sure their daughter got loaaads of coverage?? Surely if they were involved in some way or form, they would have died down the media attention, incase they get exposed somehow.
Original post by Reue
Parents over-medicated her, she died, they panicked and dumped the body, then came up with the abduction story.

Managing to evade all surveillance and leaving no tracks whatsoever? Seems too well thought out for your average parents. Having said that, the Shannon Matthews incident leads me to believe there are some people out there who would do truly terrible things for money, devoid of all morality. So corruption from the McCann parents can't be ruled out, even if it seems defamatory and utterly tactless to keep them as suspects to their own child's abduction.
Original post by Kyle1198
These parents don't look like the kind who would do that, so it would seem off if they were involved. Also how can some you suggest it was her parents when they paid thousands of pounds for private detectives and made sure their daughter got loaaads of coverage?? Surely if they were involved in some way or form, they would have died down the media attention, incase they get exposed somehow.

Some people enjoy attention and will go to great lengths to get it. Paying for private detectives and media coverage would be seen as "Proof" that they are innocent to the wider world ...
Reply 18
The thing that makes me think that the overmedication theory isn't true is that both parents are/were doctors (GP and heart surgeon, I think?) - not to say that it's impossible, but it does strike me as unlikely that two highly trained medics could give their own child an accidental overdose; if anything, you'd imagine they'd be even more cautious about medicating. Also, with the level of suspicion they got from the Portuguese authorities, I can't imagine that her body wouldn't have been found - even if she'd been buried at sea (the very thought makes you shudder), a holiday resort like that would surely be permanently busy, even at night, making such a thing incredibly difficult.

But just as a disclaimer, I haven't got a bloody clue, I'm just nosey and read far too much on the Internet - not sure we'll ever definitively know what happened to the poor girl.
Original post by Saoirs3
The thing that makes me think that the overmedication theory isn't true is that both parents are/were doctors (GP and heart surgeon, I think?) - not to say that it's impossible, but it does strike me as unlikely that two highly trained medics could give their own child an accidental overdose; if anything, you'd imagine they'd be even more cautious about medicating. Also, with the level of suspicion they got from the Portuguese authorities, I can't imagine that her body wouldn't have been found - even if she'd been buried at sea (the very thought makes you shudder), a holiday resort like that would surely be permanently busy, even at night, making such a thing incredibly difficult.

But just as a disclaimer, I haven't got a bloody clue, I'm just nosey and read far too much on the Internet - not sure we'll ever definitively know what happened to the poor girl.

Actually the McCans holidayed in an out-of-season Praia da Luz, and as reported by Panorama, the streets were deserted at night.

My mum's a doctor and she has her own suspicions. I asked her opinion before telling her mine, and there were striking similarities. Not saying I'm right though, of course.

My suspicion is that they did in fact overdose her, but were forced to cover it up because 1) They had unintentionally killed their daughter 2) Would most definitely lose their jobs/status.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending