Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Loftx gave me a bumper idea. We all talk about how we don't know what to cook so rather than living off tuna pasta salad and baked beans on toast, if you know or find a really good recipe stick it on here. So then we have like the UK-L Anthology of Student Munch (A book possibility d???)
    So if you have a good recipe for anything stick it on here! Maybe put a v on if it's veggie or a VE for Vegan etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    Pan fried cod with tomato sauce

1. Take the cod and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Dust with some plain flour.

2. Chop some tomatoes and drain. Keep the juice.

3. Heat a wok or frying pan with some olive oil. Add the cod and fry for around 3-5 mins until golden brown. Then remove and drain on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.

4. Stir fry some chopped shallots and garlic for a minute.

5. Add the tomatoes, the reserve juice, some sugar, a bit of soy sauce and some chilli sauce (amounts will depend on your taste).

6. Pour the sauce over the cod et voila finito!

ReputationRep:
    French Sausage with Tagiatelli

1. Cook the pasta in some salted water

2. Heat some olive oil and shallow fry some onions and french sausage (cut up into chunks without the skin)

3. Add mushrooms, chillis and some courgettes. Season with salt and black pepper.

4. Drain pasta and add mix.

5. Serve (maybe with some cheese).

ReputationRep:
    Spring Onion Savoury Pancakes

1. Chop up some spring onions into find bits.

2. Add the spring onion to a mix of flour and water. There should be enough flour to make the mixture fairly consistent but still liquidy. Add salt and some pepper.

3. Heat a frying pan and add a small amount of cooking oil. Pan must be very hot.

4. Pour the mixture into the pan until the pan is covered.

5. When the base begins to solidify turn over (impress the ladies by flipping it a couple of feet into the air and catching it! ). Need to be quick.

6. Once browned, remove from heat and serve.

ReputationRep:
    My special recipe - eggy pasta

Cook pasta in salted water.

Beat an egg, add a bit of salt and pepper to it.

Drain the pasta, but put the pan back on the hob so it is still hot.

Pour the egg in and stir it so it covers the pasta.

Add some grated cheese and mix in, or some chopped up Frankfurters, or anything. Yummy!

ReputationRep:
    Spicy Beef Noodles

1. Cook the noodles as instructed on the packet.

2. Heat a frying pan or wok until hot. Add some oil and when hot, add some garlic and spring onion. After a few seconds, add the beef and stir fry until meat is nearly cooked.

3. Add a sauce mixture of: chicken stock plus a little chili sauce, soy sauce, salt and black pepper. Add a little sesame oil if desired.

4. Simmer for a few minutes then add noodles and cook until most of the liquid is nearly gone.

5. Finito.

ReputationRep:
    Spring Onion and Ginger Chicken

1. Cook some chicken breast in salted water.

2. Prepare a mixture of finely chopped spring onion and root ginger. Add salt.

3. Heat some vegetable oil in a pan. Add the chicken and the spring onion and ginger and cook lightly for about 30 seconds.

4. Serve with boiled rice and some side vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I think shiny wins. Do you fancy doing dinner for me sometime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    OK, I think shiny wins. Do you fancy doing dinner for me sometime?
    Hehe

I'll cook for you when you pass your exams

ReputationRep:
    Mediterrean-style Sirloin Steak

1. Get some nice Scotch or Irish Sirloin steaks.

2. Season the steaks with some salt and black pepper.

3. Add some olive oil to a pan and heat moderately. Add steaks and some chopped onion.

4. Cook the steaks and onions (how long depends on how well done you like your steaks).

5. Add some chopped red and yellow peppers, more onions and mushrooms. Maybe a bit of green chili if you like spicy. You may also want to stick the peppers in the grill to give them that chargrilled look before cooking.

6. Cooked until the onion begins to disintegrate and combines with the beef juices to create a beautiful brown sauce.

7. Serve with mash potato.

[For the mash potato ... cook some chopped potatoes in some salted water ... once cooked drain but retain some of the liquid ... mash it up using a fork and add liquid and butter/margarine until a smooth "mashy" consistency is attained]

ReputationRep:
    Velvet Chicken Stir-fry

1. Cut some chicken breast into chunks.

2. Add to the chicken breast a little five spice powder, salt, black pepper and light soy sauce. Mix thoroughly with some finely chopped garlic and a little onion until the chicken breast chunks have a light brown colour.

3. Heat some vegetable oil in a pan or wok until very hot. Add the chicken breast and cook until nearly done.

4. Add some chopped green pepper, mushrooms and more onion.

5. Mix some cornflour in some water until you get a watery, white mixture. Make sure there are no humps.

6. Add the cornflour and water to the pan and cook. The amount depends on how much sauce you want. The sauce should give the contents of the pan a velvety glow.

7. Add salt and black pepper to taste.

8. Serve with boiled rice.

ReputationRep:
    Boiled rice

Mix American Long Grain style with a little basmati (3:1 ratio) to get a nice rice with the nice basmati smell and taste but the softness and body of long grain.

ReputationRep:
    Secret to good cooking ... no fear and make sure that pan is hot!

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna be living on scrambled eggs, tuna and chicken salads, thats about it really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Im gonna be living on scrambled eggs, tuna and chicken salads, thats about it really..

haha a conisseur of fine food then !

im living off marks and spencers sandwich fillings (mainly tuna + sweetcorn) and the fresh cookies they bake there

ReputationRep:
    Veggie sausage wraps (can be non veggie too!)
    1. Buy some plain wrap bases (you can loads cheap from costco and they last for AGES). you'll need 3 for a good meal

2. cook 4 sausages until nice and brown

3. spread cream cheese down the middle of the wraps, about 3 inches wide and as thick as you want it!

4. chop up 1/4 of a lettuce and sprinkle across the cream cheese

5. chop up the sausage into small slices and arrange on the lettuce/cream cheese

6. fold the wrap together. to make the sides stick, dab a little cream cheese on the bits you want to stick together

this can also be done with (quorn and ordinary) chicken pieces, and i imagine many other things. really tasty and quick as well

ReputationRep:
    how to make a pot noodle...

fill kettle with water,
    turn kettle on
    once boiled fill pot till line
    leave for 2 mins
    stir
    leave for 2 mins
    eat.

throw pot in bin.

and easy, healthy meal with no washing up.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    How to cook rice:

One part rice to two parts water, chuck in a saucepan with a little salt. Put the lid on and heat till it starts boiling. Then turn it down to a simmer and leave to cook until all the water is gone. And voila - rice with no need to mess about straining and rinsing it.

Eggy Bread

Beat a couple of eggs and cut slices of bread into quarters. Dip the bread in the egg then fry on both sides until it is a golden-brown colour. Serve with ketchup, marmite, cinnamon, sugar, you name it!

Chilli Con Carne

Fry chopped onion until soft, then add some mince and brown for a few minutes. Get a packet of chilli mix and add that and however much water it says on the packet, a rinsed tin of kidney beans and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 25 minutes-ish then serve with rice, garlic bread or a jacket potato.

Angel/Tesco/Lidl Delight

Empty packet into a jug, add half a pint of milk. Whisk together then stick in the fridge for 30mins. Yummy.

ReputationRep:
    this is nice for breakfast/supper/snack

Egg in a Cup

boil an egg so that it's inbetween hard and soft boiled

butter some bread (bout 2 slices) - crusts on/off - and cut into little bits and bigger bits

peel the egg and put in a mug with the bread and some susie salt and percy peppe

voila! bloody lovely i'm telling you! you can vary the egg:bread ratio depending on your taste

i literally lived off these when i was a kid, god bless you grandaddy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Hehe

I'll cook for you when you pass your exams
    I'll keep you posted then...

Otherwise it will be microwave lasagne (88p at Sainsbury's ) again.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.