Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a bit confused, in the picture of the attachment below, apparently the Stage 1 is prophase not interphase? Is this bcos the chromosomes have become visible? And what are all the other stages? Is stage 2 prophase as well, in the condensation part? And stage 3 metaphase or anaphase? And how do you know? I can't see what they're doing so if anyone has any ideas?! Stage 4 should definitely be anaphase I think? Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    These might not all be correct, but I'd guess at:

Stage 1 - early prophase
    Stage 2 - late prophase
    Stage 3 - late metaphase
    Stage 4 - anaphase

I'm not very good with digrams of chromosomes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugaray)
    Hi, I'm a bit confused, in the picture of the attachment below, apparently the Stage 1 is prophase not interphase? Is this bcos the chromosomes have become visible? And what are all the other stages? Is stage 2 prophase as well, in the condensation part? And stage 3 metaphase or anaphase? And how do you know? I can't see what they're doing so if anyone has any ideas?! Stage 4 should definitely be anaphase I think? Thanks
    i think stage 1 would be prophase since it is shortened and darkened
    interphase does not show the chromosomes since it isnt coiled around the histone yet but just undergoes DNA replication for the time being

as for stage 2....i think it looks like metaphase of mitosis

i hope im right though..hehe
    though it looks a bit misleading..

ReputationRep:
    that is one dodgy picture! I've never seena mitosis in real life that looks like any of them! But I would agree with LS on the phases.

1- early prophase

2- late prophase - the chromosomes are making their way to the metaphase plate

3- mid-late metaphase - looks like you've already had the formation of the metaphase plate and the sister chromsomes are being 'pulled' to the poles

4- Anaphase - chrs are being pulled to the spindle poles.

The fact that it's crocus has me wondering if there's a catch. The crocus produces a chemical called colchicine which is routinely used in the lab to help in the visualisation of metaphases (it is a spindle inhibitor and blocks cells in mitosis) for things like karyotyping. If you treat seeds with colchiicine, you induce polyploidy. May be I'm reading too much into this, but was wondering why to specify Crocus otherwise.

Will give it some thought!

EDIT: Thought given. I think the point is that Crocus = veg growth = only mitosis. Ensures you can tell between mitosis and meiosis I guess....

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.