Have you got a summer job this year?

Watch
Poll: Have you got a summer job this year?
Yes, with all the hours I need (242)
21.88%
Yes, but not with enough hours (144)
13.02%
No, I can't find anything (440)
39.78%
No, I didn't want one (280)
25.32%
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Have you been looking for work this summer? If so, how has it gone? Has it been easy to find work, or is there not much around your area?

If you've got a summer job sorted, why not share your tips on how to find work here...
Everglow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shooks)
Have you been looking for work this summer? If so, how has it gone? Has it been easy to find work, or is there not much around your area?

If you've got a summer job sorted, why not share your tips on how to find work here...
I've enjoyed the advantage of working for a chain company in being able to easily transfer to a store near my home for the summer. I arranged my summer transfer around Easter, so I'd say it's best to plan ahead of time if you can. So many people want summer work that you've got to get one step ahead of the competition if you're really keen.

Best advice for getting jobs is to go into workplaces with your CV and speak to managers directly. That way they get to see you and gauge your interest in working for them. I had absolutely no luck with online applications, so I don't recommend relying on them.
SoggyTractor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a job this summer, and I remember doing a load of research when I was applying and I found this 'how-to-get-a-job' guide - it's several thousand words long so pretty detailed!

https://www.talentcupboard.com/guide...-as-a-graduate
student2312
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
Best advice for getting jobs is to go into workplaces with your CV and speak to managers directly. That way they get to see you and gauge your interest in working for them. I had absolutely no luck with online applications, so I don't recommend relying on them.
Totally agree with this, I work in a leisure centre summer scheme every year but the positions aren't very well advertised, the position is posted on 1 website under the company name which is actually different to the brand name it uses and everyone knows so the only way to get in would be to know someone who could tell you when they're recruiting or to have actually walked into the leisure centre and asked if they have any summer positions available.
Another tip, ask early. Some places, especially ones that work with children, will recruit 3 or 4 months before it starts to allow background checks, training dates and reference checks to be sorted out way before the start date. Our summer scheme recruits in march and all positions are filled by may.
Jamess8300
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've managed to get a temporary contract as a receptionist at my local hospital which started 3 weeks ago (should have completed 7-8 weeks by now if the HR team didn't delay my application). I haven't yet informed them I will be going to university (was advised to hide this from them to give myself the best chance of getting the job) so dread the day of handing my notice but again, I was hoping to fulfil at least 4 of the 5 month contract but HR team delayed this drastically. Next summer I will most likely look to do some travelling so may have to get a part time job during my first year but also am looking to find relevant work experience after my second year of study (am doing a 4 year degree as I have changed course from sport science which I left in 2014 and now switching to Biological Sciences requiring me to do a foundation year) which may prove a challenge as I will not be able to find any in my local area.
LaughingKitsune
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My area is quite notorious for the lack of full-time jobs as it is. Nobody here wants summer workers - in fact, they'd rather lose staff members. I do have a temporary solution to my work woes by helping someone set up a business, but that's about it.
student2312
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LaughingKitsune)
My area is quite notorious for the lack of full-time jobs as it is. Nobody here wants summer workers - in fact, they'd rather lose staff members. I do have a temporary solution to my work woes by helping someone set up a business, but that's about it.
have you tried looking for jobs that only operate during the summer, leisure or community centre summer schemes for kids, childminding for families that work summers, amusements and theme parks that need more staff during the summer or consider working in holiday camps abroad.
LaughingKitsune
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by student2312)
have you tried looking for jobs that only operate during the summer, leisure or community centre summer schemes for kids, childminding for families that work summers, amusements and theme parks that need more staff during the summer or consider working in holiday camps abroad.
The only issue is there that I wouldn't be able to afford the travel expenses, and my mum (the only parent I have anything to do with) can only afford so much.

Like I said, I'm helping someone set up their business, and I'm planning on crafting things in the future and maybe selling them at future events, so I am busy enough with that - plus I'll be getting paid for my services in my friend's business, too!
chloetheunicorn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i've failed badly in getting a job for the summer so i'm working for an agency instead which is okay but would like to work more
toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Havent got a job because i havent written my CV
Rachel-Peach
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm working with a catering company which does a lot of weddings and love it! The pay is great (£7/hr) for a 17 year old and the craic is good as well.
I got my job because they catered my dad's 50th and they mentioned they needed more people so sent them a wee email and got the job.
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I work for pets at home, and have been doing for the past year and a half, the pay is great at 7.04 an hour and they have given me loads of extra shifts so i can save up some money finally!

the only problem with looking for just summer jobs with big companies, espcially pets at home where lots of training is required is that they dont want to hire you just to let you go after 2 months... thats why its so hard to find a job!
JacobMontgomery
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's important to note that even if you haven't found a job this summer, there are many other ways to improve your employability. This article explains 5 of those techniques, which can keep you busy, get you out of the house and most importantly, improve your CV. Students need to think about this earlier and earlier these days.

http://www.talentcupboard.com/employ...e-over-summer/
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in London so i had countless interview offers although i did not attend all of them. I agreed to and left two jobs in the first week. I've finally found a job i actually like with about 32-40 hours a week so i'm happy
It wasn't too hard since i work in hospitality.
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
look for river dredging i have just got £65 cash 3 reinforced concrete slabs( sold for £30), 50 kg of steel (£5 in had been under the water for about 30 years) and 5 kg of scrap copper (scrapped for £25) for two days work (13 hours overall and paid £125)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise