The Student Room Group

Postgraduate degree to enter BB IBD/MBB strategy consulting

Morning all,

Whilst I am a relatively new member to TSR, I have been using the forum for a number of years. I wished to ask a question about undertaking a Master's to strengthen my applicant profile to enter MBB consulting or IBD roles for the 2015-16 cycle. I missed the 2014-15 cycle whilst in my final year as I had an operation last autumn and had very little time alongside studies.

In brief, I just graduated with a First in Engineering and Management from a top 10 UK University (Nottingham/Bristol/Southampton). I now have two offers from the University of Cambridge and hope to enter either strategy consulting or IBD following completion (I understand both are extremely different in their application prep and equally competitive).

Given how competitive these two fields are, I am aware university typically matters more as opposed to degree (as long as the degree is respected IE law, maths etc).

My two offers are the following:
1) Industrial Systems, Manufacturing and Management (£14k, 3 of 10 months based in industry advising technology firms on both corporate/operational strategy, has many alumni in MBB consulting firms)

2) Technology Policy (£24k, based in the Judge Business School and has several finance and management modules, has alumni in banks and MBB consulting firms).

Whilst Technology Policy has more finance modules and is situated in the Judge Business School, I am worried employers may not see this due to its ambiguous name. Recruiters typically see university brand name, course, then scan the rest. Thus, I'm not sure Tech Policy is worth the extra 10k (which I would need to loan) even if it has more finance modules. Also, the Industrial Systems course probably has less alumni in finance due to less students on such a course wishing to enter such fields)

Having had previous FO internships at PwC (1 month corporate finance), GS (3 months markets), 1 month at HM Treasury, and 3 months Corporate Strategy at BP, I feel regardless of my degree, my CV is quite focused on finance (as I have read on TSR forums that many engineers who want to enter finance typically lack direction).

I wondered if anyone had opinions on either of the programmes given my remarks?

Thanks all!
Original post by thomasadams2
Morning all,

Whilst I am a relatively new member to TSR, I have been using the forum for a number of years. I wished to ask a question about undertaking a Master's to strengthen my applicant profile to enter MBB consulting or IBD roles for the 2015-16 cycle. I missed the 2014-15 cycle whilst in my final year as I had an operation last autumn and had very little time alongside studies.

In brief, I just graduated with a First in Engineering and Management from a top 10 UK University (Nottingham/Bristol/Southampton). I now have two offers from the University of Cambridge and hope to enter either strategy consulting or IBD following completion (I understand both are extremely different in their application prep and equally competitive).

Given how competitive these two fields are, I am aware university typically matters more as opposed to degree (as long as the degree is respected IE law, maths etc).

My two offers are the following:
1) Industrial Systems, Manufacturing and Management (£14k, 3 of 10 months based in industry advising technology firms on both corporate/operational strategy, has many alumni in MBB consulting firms)

2) Technology Policy (£24k, based in the Judge Business School and has several finance and management modules, has alumni in banks and MBB consulting firms).

Whilst Technology Policy has more finance modules and is situated in the Judge Business School, I am worried employers may not see this due to its ambiguous name. Recruiters typically see university brand name, course, then scan the rest. Thus, I'm not sure Tech Policy is worth the extra 10k (which I would need to loan) even if it has more finance modules. Also, the Industrial Systems course probably has less alumni in finance due to less students on such a course wishing to enter such fields)

Having had previous FO internships at PwC (1 month corporate finance), GS (3 months markets), 1 month at HM Treasury, and 3 months Corporate Strategy at BP, I feel regardless of my degree, my CV is quite focused on finance (as I have read on TSR forums that many engineers who want to enter finance typically lack direction).

I wondered if anyone had opinions on either of the programmes given my remarks?

Thanks all!

No Conversions?
Reply 2
edit
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jharri1993
No Conversions?

Apologies I don't understand? If you mean job conversions - none were in IBD/strat consulting which is where I want to work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Apologies I don't understand?

You said that you have done internship in the various firms, did they not offer you a job after the internship? I'm sure one of the questions that you are going to get asked is that after doing all these internships, why did none of the companies converted you (especially IBD, if you have done internships at one of the competitors)?
Reply 5
Apologies I don't understand? If you mean job conversions - none were in IBD/strat consulting which is where I want to work.

Would take the Industrial offer. You have an excellent CV work exp &education wise, so you shouldnt have too much to worry about. Also from what I've seen when it comes to Oxbridge recruiters are not fussed about what degree you did (there are a lot of people in banking from Oxbridge who have done degrees like geography, history, chemistry etc. From what I've seen the same also applies to consulting).

I presume then you'll be applying for grad IBD and strat consulting roles?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by MAINE.
Would take the Industrial offer. You have an excellent CV work exp &education wise, so you shouldnt have too much to worry about. Also from what I've seen when it comes to Oxbridge recruiters are not fussed about what degree you did (there are a lot of people in banking from Oxbridge who have done degrees like geography, history, chemistry etc. From what I've seen the same also applies to consulting).

I presume then you'll be applying for grad IBD and strat consulting roles?

Hi. Firstly thank you for your reply. I am intending to apply for IBD/Strat consulting grad roles indeed.

I too agree. I think the main thing for me was getting the Cambridge brand on my CV. I found it hard (even though coming from a top 10 UK university) ascertaining interviews in the previous cycle but I was in hospital much of the autumn thus applied very late (which was pretty much an auto reject). I think the university name is perhaps the only thing letting me down given how competitive banks and MBB consultancies are in attracting talent.

I also think, (given that I am already learning financial modelling myself online for interviews), that the Tech Policy course sounds ambiguous and may not give off what it entails to potential recruiters in the one moment they spend scanning.Whereas the industrial course sounds quite management/analytical focused from the name (in my opinion). Even though the Technology Policy programme is in the Judge Business School (thus seeming more competitive and boasting networks), I think Cambridge is Cambridge and the networks are there if I go out there to make them. Besides 10k is quite a big difference in the short term for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending