Average weekly living cost Watch

Emily Georgina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just wondered roughly how much money people spend weekly (not including rent and bills), so I can begin to budget my first year at uni.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Florality
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emily Georgina)
Just wondered roughly how much money people spend weekly (not including rent and bills), so I can begin to budget my first year at uni.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well in my first year I spent about £30-£35 a week on food. I'd suggest finding out what your local supermarket will be and then planning a weeks shop using their website. I'd usually spend an extra £10-£15 on top of that, depending on what else I did during the week apart from lectures/seminars etc.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Generally £15-20 on food.
Some weeks I'll treat myself to snacks or ice cream so it can go up to £25. For reference I shop at: aldi or lidl, iceland, home bargains and occasionally tesco and a chinese supermarket.

As for alcohol, it's not very often so it's not a weekly occurrence, not even monthly most the time. But if say we're having a house party I'll spend maybe £15 on alcohol. If we're going the pub £15-20. If pre drinks and then going to clubs around £20-25 at most.

As for eating out, it's not a common occurrence, but never spend more than £20 on one occasion on eating out.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You need to also budget for textbooks and travel. I think I went home a few times during my year at a brick uni and bought a few books.
Emily Georgina
Rep:
?
Thank you for your replies.
My loan and grant should definitely cover the maximum amount I expect to spend a week, thank goodness!

Posted from TSR Mobile
shane-draper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
£150 a week minimum, this is my direct debits, car, rent living at home, food and petrol
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
About 100 per month on food and toiletries. About 100 per month on transport, gym and phone. About 100 per month on general spend.

So about 75 per week.
Emily Georgina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
About 100 per month on food and toiletries. About 100 per month on transport, gym and phone. About 100 per month on general spend.

So about 75 per week.
Thank you.
My phone contract is £6 per month, I'll only need to get a bus once a week and won't be going to the gym. So I guess I'll be spending quite a bit less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bumblebee342
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I probably spend £50-60 a week on food, paying to do washing and going out

Depends if you're travelling as well!
carrotstar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you were wondering whether to find a part-time job alongside your course, I would find one when you start and then you can quit if you find it too much. That way you will find yourself more financially stable and can also gain some experience which will be very valuable if you're going for a sandwich course and for finding work when you finish. Whatever you manage to earn can also be factored into your spending over the year, or saved.
Emily Georgina
Rep:
?
Thank you for your replies and advice.

I have been thinking about trying to get a part time job as it would be reassuring to have some money saved up in the bank. Hopefully I can get a job on campus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vindobona
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Way too much. On useless things like overpriced coffee, premium liquor, electronic gadgets, branded clothes, etc...
I'm currently trying to develop a habit of putting more money aside and not wasting it on crap.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've lived on £60 a week, I found it tight personally so I'd prefer to have more like £75... I eat a lot and don't like eating on a budget so I spend around £30 a week on food, but I honestly eat very well, plenty of nice fruit, treats etc for this so you shouldn't need any more than that!

I budgeted separately for costs such as clothes and books (most of which you should be able to find in libraries) and found that getting the train home could come out of that weeks budget as I didn't have to pay for food at home (although this will depend how expensive it is for you to travel home)

make sure you budget extra for the first term as you may want to spend money to join societies, pay halls subs, you will spend a lot extra in freshers week (alcohol, socializing in general, trips, fancy dress), you will go out more in the first term while getting to know people and it's good to allow yourself to do that so you can find a group of friends you get on well with, also you should allow yourself a spare few hundred for any financial slip ups if you're not used to budgetting
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you plan to move into a rented house with friends in our second year you will also need access to money for the deposit.
DarkSenrine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I spent £70 a week on food and a further £50 on nights out. I could afford this because of my generous bursary.

You could easily live on £20 a week in Lidl/Aldi so I'd recommend shopping there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads