VeganAstronomer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I am currently looking for Geology related work experience as I will be applying to university this year, although, I am not interested in the petroleum industry. Does anyone know of any work experience places available?

Thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by VeganAstronomer)
Hi,

I am currently looking for Geology related work experience as I will be applying to university this year, although, I am not interested in the petroleum industry. Does anyone know of any work experience places available?

Thanks!
There's http://www.bgs.ac.uk/vacancies/workE...tml?src=topNav but the last deadline to apply is tomorrow. It might be worth contacting your nearest EA office to see if they have any opportunities https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ronment-agency or contact http://www.ceh.ac.uk/volunteering to see if they have any opportunities. Or have a look at http://jobs.newscientist.com/en-gb/searchjobs/ and filter it to environment/earth science jobs and contact the companies advertising directly.

Geology is an academic subject though - you don't need work experience in order to apply or to demonstrate an interest beyond your current curriculum (see http://www.bgs.ac.uk/vacancies/Studying.htm )
Have a look at http://www.geologistsassociation.org.uk/ and the bgs/bas websites and find out your local university geology/earth science departments to see if they run any open events or public lectures.

If you're on or near to the South Coast then http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~imw/ is an amazing resource for organising your own field trips with friends/family (I know it looks a bit dated as a website but the content is brilliantly detailed and very well explained).
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want geological work experience (which is not necessary, as PQ said), your best bet is probably emailing any local universities to ask if they can offer you anything; that's how I got mine (and it was a great week!). Other than that I guess you could try environmental or geotechnical consultancies but try universities first. It's really important to stress though that you do NOT need work experience or even experience of field work to get into a good university for geology, because they are fully aware that not everyone has the opportunity to do that.
rosiesaurus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Thanks!
Hey there, where are you looking at applying?
Not sure if it's been quoted already but if you try the BGS website they have a voluntary work experience placement for 18 and under
Also try museums, if you have a geology charity/heritage trust they may be able to offer you something, ie if they operate geology walking tours you could help out with that. But literally barely anyone has work experience from before university on my course, there's few enough people that can get experience with 2 years of a degree! So don't worry if you don't get any replies
holl_davis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
If you want geological work experience (which is not necessary, as PQ said), your best bet is probably emailing any local universities to ask if they can offer you anything; that's how I got mine (and it was a great week!). Other than that I guess you could try environmental or geotechnical consultancies but try universities first. It's really important to stress though that you do NOT need work experience or even experience of field work to get into a good university for geology, because they are fully aware that not everyone has the opportunity to do that.
Hi, I'm really interested in doing this too; which university did you go to and how did you approach them? Thank you
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by holl_davis)
Hi, I'm really interested in doing this too; which university did you go to and how did you approach them? Thank you
UCL was the university I contacted. I had originally asked the undergraduate admissions tutor at the open day if it would be possible to do some work experience and she told me to send her an email (which I did, explaining why I wanted to do it and I attached my CV) but it's absolutely fine to just send an email to someone without inquiring in person.
holl_davis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Awesome, thank you!
(Original post by Plagioclase)
UCL was the university I contacted. I had originally asked the undergraduate admissions tutor at the open day if it would be possible to do some work experience and she told me to send her an email (which I did, explaining why I wanted to do it and I attached my CV) but it's absolutely fine to just send an email to someone without inquiring in person.
Headingtonian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thanks!
Like other people have said, work experience is not necessary for geology. However, I would second plagioclase's idea of contacting a local university. I emailed Oxford to get work experience, and spent a week making thin sections with them. I emailed with an introductory letter about why I wanted to do work experience and my CV. I got his contact details as I also did a week in geography/environmental science toking at soils. I also did a day of work shadowing at the International Seismological Centre, as earthquakes are an area of particular interest to me. Often companies are more responsive if you ask to do work shadowing rather than work experience, as you have less responsibility.
TooMuchRespect4X
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Get a pet rock and tend to it's every need for a week and write a log book and make a scrap book of places you take the rock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lemuelc14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TooMuchRespect4X)
Get a pet rock and tend to it's every need for a week and write a log book and make a scrap book of places you take the rock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Geology A level last year and now I'm studying Earth Sciences at oxford and this is what I spent my summer doing, great advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads