The Student Room Group

Phone call & computer software...

I have contacted the means assessment centre for my means test for the DSA but they have asked me to phone them or they phone me to provide them with information that they need. What sort of information will this be as I would like to prepare it before the phone call instead of saying I don't know.

Also I am curious to whether or not the DSA, due to the amount of software they give you are you allowed to buy a new computer with the allowance because mine is so full and has little storage space.
Original post by lizmoo0721
I have contacted the means assessment centre for my means test for the DSA but they have asked me to phone them or they phone me to provide them with information that they need. What sort of information will this be as I would like to prepare it before the phone call instead of saying I don't know.

Also I am curious to whether or not the DSA, due to the amount of software they give you are you allowed to buy a new computer with the allowance because mine is so full and has little storage space.

Are you an SFE student if so they charge 200 for PCs so you could have one but if your PC isn't particularly old say less than 5 years I think it is they might ask that you keep it. They ll probably just ask what your disability is then give you an appointment, nothing to worry about really:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Are you an SFE student if so they charge 200 for PCs so you could have one but if your PC isn't particularly old say less than 5 years I think it is they might ask that you keep it. They ll probably just ask what your disability is then give you an appointment, nothing to worry about really:smile:

Ok, Thank you! I'm absolutely fine with keeping my computer because it was fairly expensive, I'm just stuck with how to install the software they will offer me on it because it is just so full and I don't want to remove my iTunes library..

:smile:
Ok, Thank you! I'm absolutely fine with keeping my computer because it was fairly expensive, I'm just stuck with how to install the software they will offer me on it because it is just so full and I don't want to remove my iTunes library..

:smile:

Its depends on what your disability is what software you ll get the only one that needs decent space that I have is Dragon which needs 3.5gb. How much music do you have, if i were you I d put your music on some sort of cloud that would free up some space?
Without knowing what else you have on your pc I wouldn't know how to help.
Reply 4

DSA is not means tested and is independent from any other student finance. They will require some information from you and normally send out a form via post or email for you to fill in to give permission for them to assess you, and to collect information about you and your course.

DSA assessors can recommend providing a computer through DSA, but as stated above, SFE students have to pay a £200 contribution to one, or you can buy your own or have the software installed on your old machine. DSA can offer the software to be installed by technicians from DSA approved suppliers.

Quick Reply

Latest