The Student Room Group

Anyone planning to have the Meningitis W jab before they go to uni?

So i saw this BBC article and am wondering whether anyone is actually planning to have the jab?

"Teenagers will soon be vaccinated against deadly meningitis W after a steep rise in the number of cases, Public Health England has announced."http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31869055

"The government's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation called for 14 to 18-year-olds to be vaccinated "as soon as possible". -

Are you planning to have the jab before you go to uni?
Do you think it's important to have it?

Eeep!

Scroll to see replies

No because I'm 19 -.-
Thanks for sharing MarleyZ. If I wasn't 19, I probably would have done.

I think those who can, should do so; at the very least it should help to alleviate the risk of faster spread; especially for children. Teenagers are in families, often with younger siblings, aside from mum, dad and school, teenagers are often the next most likely people to interact with children - it seems sensible to do so.
Yeah, I'm having the ACWY vaccine tomorrow, although I'm about to go into my 3rd year (oops).
Reply 4
Original post by Ki Yung Na

I think those who can, should do so; at the very least it should help to alleviate the risk of faster spread; especially for children. Teenagers are in families, often with younger siblings, aside from mum, dad and school, teenagers are often the next most likely people to interact with children - it seems sensible to do so.

Definitely - I completely agree. Especially with such a growing risk of meningitis in young people - well said :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Its a good thing because if all 14-18 year olds got it, it would give the population herd immunisation which could potentially eventually eradicate it
Reply 6
My uni offered the vaccination for every student for free in freshers week last year, I think it's definitely worth getting it if you can.
Reply 7

totally agree!
Reply 8
Original post by DDarcy
My uni offered the vaccination for every student for free in freshers week last year, I think it's definitely worth getting it if you can.

Which uni was that? That's a really great idea!
Original post by DDarcy

But did you take up the offer?

:tongue:

(Unless you already had it.)
Reply 10
Original post by MarleyZ
Which uni was that? That's a really great idea!

Bournemouth Uni :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by XcitingStuart
But did you take up the offer?

:tongue:

(Unless you already had it.)

Already had it, but a lot of my housemates did because it was free and on campus.
Original post by jordyweird
Its a good thing because if all 14-18 year olds got it, it would give the population herd immunisation which could potentially eventually eradicate it

Sorry if I sound cynical but with modern population sizes and the complexity of meningitis strains.. Eradication is pretty wishful thinking.

It probably is more feasible to offer it to teenagers. Many won't take it up and there's less of them than there are children, the costs probably balance out pretty well for the government. It works in their favour as teenagers are the smallest population - at least they were the last time I saw any stats.
Of course. If it's being offered, why wouldn't I? Plus, being a teenager puts me in one of the 'risk' groups, so better safe than sorry xD
Can other people have it as well?
Sorry if I sound cynical but with modern population sizes and the complexity of meningitis strains.. Eradication is pretty wishful thinking.

It probably is more feasible to offer it to teenagers. Many won't take it up and there's less of them than there are children, the costs probably balance out pretty well for the government. It works in their favour as teenagers are the smallest population - at least they were the last time I saw any stats.

Please bare in mind I've literally just done my science course at college to start Biomedical science at university in October etc so I'm clearly not going to be 100% right, but i have a slight understanding. Give me a year and ill know a whole lot me hahahah
Reply 16
Hi, as a nurse I very much recommend getting the jab. As many contagious and infectious disease spread in close quarters such as university halls. As such it's better safe than sorry!
From personal experience, please get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by camaieu
From personal experience, please get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like there is a story in there somewhere, hope it wasn't too bad for you.
I am starting uni in September and phoned my doctors to get the vaccine. They refused to give it to me as I'm 19 and they said they were only giving it to 17/18 year olds!? Is there any other way I can get the vaccine as the NHS website states that all new uni students up to the age of 25 should have it. My boyfriend (19 too) was also refused it by his doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest