URGENT HELP NEEDED. Laptop infected by malware

Watch
Talus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,Yesterday I upgraded my windows laptop to Windows 10. I was trying out Microsoft Edge, and when I tried logging into facebook I was told that I need to download adobe flash- I foolishly fell for it and when I clicked on the downloaded file, my computer was consequently infected by a load of bloatware and malware.I went through my program list and uninstalled everything straight away- I also used "Should I Remove It?" to double check.I reset my settings on Microsoft Edge and deleted all previous history and data. I did the same for Google Chrome. One of the set search engines had the word "conduit" - I understand through an internet search that Web Shield and "conduit" are common malware.I also ran a scan on Microsoft Defender to make sure I had no infected files.

I thought I had removed the malware, but my primary browser (Chrome) is still, somehow, infected by this malware. Every time I click on a link, or even sometimes randomly, I will get an annoying pop up, sometimes accompanied by a banner saying "This Ad was brought to you by Web Shield" (please see my screen shots below). I went through my installed programs again and ran a search into my hard drive for anything entitled web shield, nothing came up.The web pages I visit have also become inundated with malware links (also see screen shots below).

I'm at a loss for what to do. My laptop is fairly new and I usually am very vigilant about viruses and malware, but unfortunately I slipped in this instance and I have no idea how to remove it.

Please help! I don't want my computer to die as a result.

Name:  malware.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  107.1 KBAttachment 446375446377Attachment 446375446377446400[attach]4.4637544637744636e+23[/attach]
Attached files
Andrew657Thomas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just download Ad Block, that should block any pop ups.
Talus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew657Thomas)
I have and use ad block. The malware surpasses it.
Talus
Rep:
?
I downloaded MalwareBytes and am currently halfway through a scan - it seems to have detected the dodgy files so I think I may have sorted it.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Andrew657Thomas)
This is utterly dreadful advice. :curious: It's a malware issue, not some annoying popups.
username1551801
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
This is utterly dreadful advice. :curious: It's a malware issue, not some annoying popups.
You get them everywhere, you get used to it.
username839961
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just to be extra thorough, I'd suggest scanning using SuperAntiSpyware after using MalwareBytes. The former is apparently so thorough that it sometimes finds false positives. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Talus
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChampEon)
Just to be extra thorough, I'd suggest scanning using SuperAntiSpyware after using MalwareBytes. The former is apparently so thorough that it sometimes finds false positives. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks for this! I did three scans using MalwareBytes before the scans ran clear, downloading SuperAntiSpyware now.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Talus)
Thanks for this! I did three scans using MalwareBytes before the scans ran clear, downloading SuperAntiSpyware now.
Hmmm, delete history, etc, malwarebytes, delete temp files......then hitman pro.....delete anything recently downloaded as well.
username1551801
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That doesn't mean anything, please don't give bad advice like that.
False positives doesn't mean it's more secure. It's just like saying you've downloaded Skype, or Steam or even Google Chrome but it won't let you install it because it 'could' contain malware.
The less false positives, the better. It also doesn't mean it's thorough when you get false positives either, it can do a bare minimum scan and flag half of it as malicious, which might not even be true.

(Original post by Talus)
If you're still getting popups on Chrome then it has most likely attached itself to your account, meaning you'll have to delete all your search engines, and tab preferences. Uninstall Chrome after and install it again.
The actual malware has most likely been deleted from the hidden programs data folder, along with registry hooks, but it still leaves the popup because it has attached to the browser.
username839961
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jared44)
That doesn't mean anything, please don't give bad advice like that.
False positives doesn't mean it's more secure. It's just like saying you've downloaded Skype, or Steam or even Google Chrome but it won't let you install it because it 'could' contain malware.
The less false positives, the better. It also doesn't mean it's thorough when you get false positives either, it can do a bare minimum scan and flag half of it as malicious, which might not even be true.
Ah my bad. I was just going by what others told me. Still, I'd say using both may be more thorough than solely using MalwareBytes.
username1551801
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah my bad. I was just going by what others told me. Still, I'd say using both may be more thorough than solely using MalwareBytes.
Not necessarily, depends where it scans, and what it scans.
Nathaniel4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Get avast security

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads