The Student Room Group

Six people stabbed at Gay pride Parade in Jerusalem

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33726634

"Yishai Schlissel, an ultra-Orthodox Jew, was sentenced to 12 years in prison for that attack and was released from prison three weeks ago."

"The march has long been a source of tension between Jerusalem's secular majority and its Jewish Orthodox communities.
Hundreds of police are deployed along the route to try to prevent violence breaking out."

"Ultra-Orthodox Jews have previously gathered in the city's Mea Shearim quarter to protest against homosexuality."

If I'm not wrong there is a large Orthodox community in Israel who clearly will not accept the LGBT community any time soon.

Discuss !

Scroll to see replies

No one should be killed due to their sexual orientation. That's bad.
Reply 2
Original post by BrokenLife
No one should be killed due to their sexual orientation. That's bad.

No one died but two of the six attacked are in a serious condition.
FYI, the twelve years/three weeks you refer to are for an attack in 2005, and I have no doubt he'll be punished more severly this time.

I'd sooner see someone serve ten years out of a ten year sentence for attacking people at a gay pride parade it be a captial offense, like Israel's lovely neighbours, or throwing them off buildings, like ISIS. Israel is the only part of the Middle East that it is even possible to have gay pride, let's be thankful for that.
Original post by goobypls
No one died but two of the six attacked are in a serious condition.

Well same thing. Its the mentality of intolerance that is extremely bad.
Reply 5
Original post by Skip_Snip
FYI, the twelve years/three weeks you refer to are for an attack in 2005, and I have no doubt he'll be punished more severly this time.

I'd sooner see someone serve ten years out of a ten year sentence for attacking people at a gay pride parade it be a captial offense, like Israel's lovely neighbours, or throwing them off buildings, like ISIS. Israel is the only part of the Middle East that it is even possible to have gay pride, let's be thankful for that.

I saw a documentary about orthodox Jews in Israel and they seem very vocal and making their feelings known. So in the long term can we expect further problems since they will never accept the LGBT community ?
I saw a documentary about orthodox Jews in Israel and they seem very vocal and making their feelings known. So in the long term can we expect further problems since they will never accept the LGBT community ?

Who knows.

What do you mean? There are orthodox jews who aren't against the LGBT community, definitely more than the amount of orthodox jews who attack people at gay pride parades.
Reply 8
Original post by CheetahCurtis
What do you mean? There are orthodox jews who aren't against the LGBT community, definitely more than the amount of orthodox jews who attack people at gay pride parades.

I meant the Ultras
Original post by BrokenLife
No one should be killed even be hurt, both emotionally and physically, due to their sexual orientation. That's bad.

xD

But still, too true.
Original post by XcitingStuart
xD

But still, too true.

Agreed. Attack or whatever, it shouldn't be the case in any circumstances.
Appalling. Absolutely no excuse for it.
Disgusting.
I meant the Ultras

This will be hard for some people to believe but there are homosexual Haredi (ultra-orthodox) Jews and to say 'they' will never accept the LGBT community is a wild thing to say.
Original post by Skip_Snip

Good point made (well not point, but something anyway.)

+1 for that
This is obviously an anti semitic conspiracy theory.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33726634

"Yishai Schlissel, an ultra-Orthodox Jew, was sentenced to 12 years in prison for that attack and was released from prison three weeks ago."

"The march has long been a source of tension between Jerusalem's secular majority and its Jewish Orthodox communities.
Hundreds of police are deployed along the route to try to prevent violence breaking out."

"Ultra-Orthodox Jews have previously gathered in the city's Mea Shearim quarter to protest against homosexuality."

If I'm not wrong there is a large Orthodox community in Israel who clearly will not accept the LGBT community any time soon.

Discuss !

This is why the death penalty should be used. Would you save 10 people who could be stabbed and killed by a repeat offender or be a good samaritan and free a dangerous killer.
(edited 8 years ago)
The violence NEEDS to stop against people in the LGBT community. They have done no wrong to you so don't do wrong to them. They are human beings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by codegirl
This is obviously an anti semitic conspiracy theory.

What makes you think that ?
What makes you think that ?

I'm using the medium of parody.

Quick Reply

Latest