The Student Room Group

Is it time for ID cards??

Scroll to see replies

I'd support the idea of a voluntary US-style passport card to simplify EU/EEA travel, but nothing on the scale of the Identity Cards Act 2006. It's not a scheme that I can see any government paying for in the near future, however.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Maker
Would ID cards have prevented dishonest employers giving illegal migrants jobs, does it prevent illegal migrants buying food, does it cost of lot of money to implemented and inconvenience and potentially criminalize law abiding people?

All these things happen right now in countries that have ID cards, what makes you think it makes any difference in the UK.

But why are you so afraid of them?
It is the sort of ineffectual, bureaucratic idea that originates from those who love big government solutions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Marco1
But why are you so afraid of them?

Why don't you have video cameras in your house linked to your nearest police station? Surely, a law abiding person like you have nothing to hide from the police.
Reply 44
Original post by Maker
Would ID cards have prevented dishonest employers giving illegal migrants jobs, does it prevent illegal migrants buying food, does it cost of lot of money to implemented and inconvenience and potentially criminalize law abiding people?

ID would actually prevent many dishonest employers giving illegal immigrants jobs. They could be prosecuted, e.g. like the new laws against landlords who have illegal alien tenants, mentioned on the news this morning.

As for preventing illegal immigrants buying food???? Why would you want to deny a human being in this country access to buying food?? That's unchristian. Get real, why would a shopkeeper demand ID for someone buying food??

"potentially criminalize law abiding people?" Cripes almighty! This left-wing rhetoric doesn't do anything for me. If you love Britain and are not a criminal then no worries man. Anyone can be stopped by police and have their ID checked if there are grounds. That's fine, I don't mind at all. Let the police do their job. The law of the land is for everyone.

You talk about the cost in a short term way and make no mention of the vast sums that will be saved. How about all the money being lost now because of the chaos caused at Calais? If extra cost means a more safe and secure Britain against terrorism and destabilisation from within then I have no problem with ID cards. Also, if it means a stop to the crowds in Calais who are trying to break their way illegally into GB on a daily basis, then bring on the ID cards. I have always thought the arguments for not having ID cards are far outweighed by the reasons for having them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Maker
Why don't you have video cameras in your house linked to your nearest police station? Surely, a law abiding person like you have nothing to hide from the police.
Please stay on the subject and try not to get silly.
Reply 46
Original post by Marco1
ID would actually prevent many dishonest employers giving illegal immigrants jobs. They could be prosecuted, e.g. like the new laws against landlords who have illegal alien tenants, mentioned on the news this morning.

As for preventing illegal immigrants buying food???? Why would you want to deny a human being in this country access to buying food?? That's unchristian. Get real, why would a shopkeeper demand ID for someone buying food??

"potentially criminalize law abiding people?" Cripes almighty! This left-wing rhetoric doesn't do anything for me. If you love Britain and are not a criminal then no worries man. Anyone can be stopped by police and have their ID checked if there are grounds. That's fine, I don't mind at all. Let the police do their job. The law of the land is for everyone.

You talk about the cost in a short term way and make no mention of the vast sums that will be saved. How about all the money being lost now because of the criminal at Calais? If extra cost means a more safe and secure Britain against terrorism and destabilisation from within then I have no problem with ID cards. Also, if it means a stop to the crowds in Calais who are trying to break their way illegally into GB on a daily basis, then bring on the ID cards. I have always thought the arguments for not having ID cards are far outweighed by the reasons for having them.

You seemed have shyed away addressing the privacy issue? Why?

The rest of your argument is rubbish. People in Calais are so desperate they risk getting killed to get to Britain. do you think ID cards will be any deterrent?

You seem to be ignorant of how illegal immigrants can get jobs in the UK. A lot of illegals join established communities in Britain and use word of mouth to get jobs in the black economy like picking crops or labouring.

A lot of illegals already have friends and relatives and people from the same town or village in the UK who are under strong social pressure and family obligation to give them jobs and help them stay in the country. These people would not be deterred by fines or even the faint risk of prison.

ID cards would not have prevented the bombings in London 10 years ago, the vile murder of Lee Rigby or idiots going to Syria to join ISIS. All thes criminals were legally in this country.
Reply 47
Original post by Marco1
Please stay on the subject and try not to get silly.

Why is it silly for the police to have cameras in your home, what have you got to hide? Cameras linked to the police are helpful if your home was broken into or you are murdered by illegal migrants. You should welcome the police attention.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Why is it silly for the police to have cameras in your home, what have you got to hide? Cameras linked to the police are helpful if your home was broken into or you are murdered by illegal migrants. You should welcome the police attention.

Nice hyperbole. What's the connection between ID cards and having cameras in the home.
Reply 49
Original post by Maker
You seemed have shyed away addressing the privacy issue? Why?

eh? How do think it works in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium . . . .? Do you think their lives are compromised due to your perceived 'privacy issues'? Get real. This is important!

Original post by Maker
The rest of your argument is rubbish. People in Calais are so desperate they risk getting killed to get to Britain. do you think ID cards will be any deterrent?

If you say so then :wink: Have you not been reading my posts to you because I made it very clear that I think ID cards WILL be a deterrent. It's the primary reason they choose Britain, it seems, over other countries. Without ID cards they can fly under the radar.

Original post by Maker
A lot of illegals already have friends and relatives and people from the same town or village in the UK who are under strong social pressure and family obligation to give them jobs and help them stay in the country. These people would not be deterred by fines or even the faint risk of prison.

Not really. ID cards are exactly what illegals and their sympathisers don't want because it will obviously make it more difficult.

Original post by Maker
ID cards would not have prevented the bombings in London 10 years ago, the vile murder of Lee Rigby or idiots going to Syria to join ISIS. All thes criminals were legally in this country.

You don't know that for sure but the strong reasons for ID cards have already been put forward by myself. If you won't acknowledge that then we are standing on opposite sides of an unbreachable ravine.
Something like ID cards is a good idea, however getting the balance between privacy and security seems to be the problem. We already had national insurance number cards, what if it was used in the same sort of way?

To get access to any state services you could have to present your ID card, in the same sort of way as a national insurance number but expanded, it would ensure state services are less open to abuse without going over the top. For example when you get a job you need to prove your right to work in the UK, this typically requires a few documents. ID cards could simplify this process and could reduce the need for individual cards for individual services from the government such as driving licenses.
Reply 51
Original post by TeeEm
many countries have ID cards, some of them are liberal..

when I first came to the UK (1981) I was shocked to find that a credit card was accepted as a form of ID!

It still is! (2015)
Reply 52
Original post by CASWGU
It still is! (2015)

in most countries in the world if you were asked for ID and you were to show a credit card, they would have laughed at you ...
Reply 53
Original post by TeeEm
in most countries in the world if you were asked for ID and you were to show a credit card, they would have laughed at you ...

Yeah, it is crazy haha. It's not accepted everywhere but certain things like collecting a parcel from a post office when you haven't been home, they'll accept debit/credit card.
I'm not against the idea. It would simplify confirming a person's identity for a whole range of issues. No more hassles applying for a passport or a driver's license, easy for employers and landlords to confirm who you are and that you have right to remain or be employed.

However I'd hate for it to made compulsory to carry it at all times. Also with the costs involved in introducing it, is it all really worth it?
Reply 55
Original post by Marco1
eh? How do think it works in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium . . . .? Do you think their lives are compromised due to your perceived 'privacy issues'? Get real. This is important!

If you say so then :wink: Have you not been reading my posts to you because I made it very clear that I think ID cards WILL be a deterrent. It's the primary reason they choose Britain, it seems, over other countries. Without ID cards they can fly under the radar.

Not really. ID cards are exactly what illegals and their sympathisers don't want because it will obviously make it more difficult.

You don't know that for sure but the strong reasons for ID cards have already been put forward by myself. If you won't acknowledge that then we are standing on opposite sides of an unbreachable ravine.

If you can prove to me illegal immigrants can't get jobs in Germany, France, Belgium, Italy or Spain and there are no terrorists in any of those countries, you might have a case. Although Germany seems to be very popular with illegal immigrants who do a lot of work in low skill sectors like agriculture and services.

http://www.humanityinaction.org/knowledgebase/239-breaking-the-silence-an-honest-discussion-about-illegal-immigration-to-germany

Although there was that Charlie Hepdo attack a few months ago in France that ID cards did not prevent.

So if the UK did have ID cards like Germany and France, we would also have illegal workers and terrorists like Germany and France.
Reply 56
Original post by Swanbow
I'm not against the idea. It would simplify confirming a person's identity for a whole range of issues. No more hassles applying for a passport or a driver's license, easy for employers and landlords to confirm who you are and that you have right to remain or be employed.

However I'd hate for it to made compulsory to carry it at all times. Also with the costs involved in introducing it, is it all really worth it?

There is no point in having an ID card if its not compulsory to carry one at all times is it?
Original post by TeeEm
please do not patronize me.

1438625013178.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58

Well it is kind of funny....
Will the ID cards stop illegal immigrants? Will it make it easier to deport those who have gained entry illegally?

If not then they are a waste of time and more importantly money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending