The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duke Glacia
thanks.

Lmao, you pick literally the one question on that paper I haven't done :tongue: I'll give it a go now. Given that I apparently preferred stats to it, I don't have high hopes though...

(IMO this is one of my favourite papers - not so much due to ease, but due to how interesting almost all the questions are. There's a lot of gems in here, especially applied.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Lmao, you pick literally the one question on that paper I haven't done :tongue: I'll give it a go now. Given that I apparently preferred stats to it, I don't have high hopes though...

(IMO this is one of my favourite papers - not so much due to ease, but due to how interesting almost all the questions are. There's a lot of gems in here, especially applied.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the 10th one was pretty cool. (collisions)
Yeah the 10th one was pretty cool. (collisions)

I have to admit it was quite satisfying for a mechanics question! :smile:
Has anyone done this?

I find questions like this so hard due to there being so many different variables to think about at the same time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Louisb19
Has anyone done this?

I find questions like this so hard due to there being so many different variables to think about at the same time.

This looks like olympiad - tagged appropriately
Reply 3985
Has anyone done this?

It's IMO 2015 question 6. Pretty much no one got it in the paper if I recall correctly. It's actually got something to do with juggling (don't ask me how, I don't remember the details).
Original post by shamika
It's IMO 2015 question 6. Pretty much no one got it in the paper if I recall correctly. It's actually got something to do with juggling (don't ask me how, I don't remember the details).

I spent far to long on it and haven't really got anywhere. I refuse to look at the solution.

Imo questions are very hard indeed.
I spent far to long on it and haven't really got anywhere. I refuse to look at the solution.

Well, youve chosen a question 6 to do... And it looks unconventional. You may want to bail out now while you can and try a q1 or 4, they are much easier than q3 or 6 but still hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3988

So I remembered that I looked at the solution when it first came out last year, and also what it's got to do with juggling :tongue:

If you're still trying, my hint would be to fully understand what the first two conditions are and how they constrain the values of the a_i. (This is now very off topic so let's move the conversation elsewhere.)
Original post by shamika

r u Geoff smith ? or UK imo team trainer?
Reply 3990
r u Geoff smith ? or UK imo team trainer?

No and no lol! I work as an actuary these days, but generally know what's going on either through TSR (eg Gregorious lectures in York) or through friends I made at uni.
Original post by shamika
No and no lol! I work as an actuary these days, but generally know what's going on either through TSR (eg Gregorious lectures in York) or through friends I made at uni.

Oh ! apologies.
Your an actuary !!! thaz isanely cool. :adore:
does STEP II 2001 Q6 require FP3 knowledge or am i just being dumb with the sub? Also Q7 on that paper seems to require FP1? is this an old spec type paper?
Original post by DylanJ42
does STEP II 2001 Q6 require FP3 knowledge or am i just being dumb with the sub?

Uhm, I did it before starting FP3. Everything you need should be in the formula booklet.

Also Q7 on that paper seems to require FP1? is this an old spec type paper?

Complex numbers used to be on normal A-Level back then, I think.
Original post by Zacken
Uhm, I did it before starting FP3. Everything you need should be in the formula booklet.

Complex numbers used to be on normal A-Level back then, I think.

Alright I'll keep trying, i may be back in awhile asking for a hint with the sub though :laugh:

hmm ill only do it if im stuck for a 6th question to do, otherwise its kind of a cheat

thank you for your fast reply btw :biggrin:
Alright I'll keep trying, i may be back in awhile asking for a hint with the sub though :laugh:

hmm ill only do it if im stuck for a 6th question to do, otherwise its kind of a cheat

Oh, I didn't notice that it was a fast reply. :biggrin:

Which part are you stuck on with Q6, btw? For (i) and (ii) do the "I'll sub the ugly part out".

Q1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 are very nice - so you needn't be stuck. :-)

Q6 is a very nice question and the subs are quite smart - it's really rewarding to doit by yourself so definitely hold off for as long as possible before asking for a hint!
Original post by Zacken
Oh, I didn't notice that it was a fast reply. :biggrin:

Which part are you stuck on with Q6, btw? For (i) and (ii) do the "I'll sub the ugly part out".

Q1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 are very nice - so you needn't be stuck. :-)

Yea ive done 1,2,3, (mostly 5, ill come back to it) and usually i can do the integration so i was hoping Q6 would be do-able too

Also whilst you're here, would you advise pure only for STEP II as an approach, or do you think its beneficial to have a backup applied? Asking because I cant even understand the stats step II questions most of the time, nevermind answer them, so im wondering whether i should just do pure only haha

Original post by Jordan\
Q6 is a very nice question and the subs are quite smart - it's really rewarding to doit by yourself so definitely hold off for as long as possible before asking for a hint!

ill definitely give it a good go :biggrin: it looks so obvious which is the frustrating part :banghead:, maybe after enough staring at it it will come to me :laugh:
Yea ive done 1,2,3, (mostly 5, ill come back to it) and usually i can do the integration so i was hoping Q6 would be do-able too

Also whilst you're here, would you advise pure only for STEP II as an approach, or do you think its beneficial to have a backup applied? Asking because I cant even understand the stats step II questions most of the time, nevermind answer them, so im wondering whether i should just do pure only haha

Ooh, I know where you're getting stuck on Q5.

Spoiler

For STEP II, you should usually be able to get by with only pure, but definitely keep an eye out for the odd stats question which is only pure integration (especially PDF's) or a context that you can transform into a pure question that's integration, or a series question that might as well be pure.
Original post by Zacken
Ooh, I know where you're getting stuck on Q5.

Spoiler

For STEP II, you should usually be able to get by with only pure, but definitely keep an eye out for the odd stats question which is only pure integration (especially PDF's) or a context that you can transform into a pure question that's integration, or a series question that might as well be pure.

I will keep that in mind once I come back to it

thats what i was hoping to hear :laugh: step I stats is usually nice, but step II stats is... :afraid:

first part done of Q6 btw :banana: now to (hopefully) finish it

Latest

Trending

Trending