The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew_Wiles
Im really struggling with step i don't think ill get into cambridge :frown:

Keep at it. Try STEP 1 2000, it's a nice paper, I managed to get decent solutions for about 5 of the pure questions so it was a good confidence booster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TirnanF
Keep at it. Try STEP 1 2000, it's a nice paper, I managed to get decent solutions for about 5 of the pure questions so it was a good confidence booster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This guy claimed to have proved the Riemmann hypothesis before.... Maths are being trolled tonight it seems.
This guy???

I am Andrew Wiles god amongst you all

Congratulations, your proof that you are a troll is significantly more succinct than your partial proof of the modularity theorem.
ur just jealous

Man, I am so jealous of you! I wish my life was so cool that I the best thing I have to do on a Thursday night is troll some random maths forum. Teach me your ways? How do you be so cool?

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
Man, I am so jealous of you! I wish my life was so cool that I the best thing I have to do on a Thursday night is troll some random maths forum. Teach me your ways? How do you be so cool?

Spoiler

lol u mad?
Original post by Zacken
The previous parts of the question used a certain substitution style, can you learn from the previous parts and try out a similar substitution (adapting it to this scenario)?

Is this from a STEP Question? If so, please could you tell me which one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubisoft
x24x+2x28x39=0x^2-4 x+\sqrt{2 x^2-8 x-3} -9= 0

Any ideas? without getting a quartic

Sorry I mean this question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uninerd789
Is this from a STEP Question? If so, please could you tell me which one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have access to the papers right now, but iirc it was STEP 2013 Q1. In any case, it was Q1 of a recent-ish paper! :smile:
Is step accepted in germany?
Original post by Zacken
I don't have access to the papers right now, but iirc it was STEP 2013 Q1. In any case, it was Q1 of a recent-ish paper! :smile:

Thanks a lot, I will check it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azhar Rana
Is step accepted in germany?

"Accepted" in what sense?

It's an entrance exam specific to Cambridge that has been "hijacked" by a very small number of British universities to allow them to make alternative or more flexible offers. It's not even "accepted" in Britain in the wider sense because most unis won't have a clue what it is, and it really isn't relevant to all but a few top uni courses :smile:
Original post by davros
"Accepted" in what sense?

It's an entrance exam specific to Cambridge that has been "hijacked" by a very small number of British universities to allow them to make alternative or more flexible offers. It's not even "accepted" in Britain in the wider sense because most unis won't have a clue what it is, and it really isn't relevant to all but a few top uni courses :smile:

Oh thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 1192

If your question is "can I sit STEP in Germany?", the answer is yes, but you may need to make early arrangements to find somewhere close to you.

British council is your best bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shamika
If your question is "can I sit STEP in Germany?", the answer is yes, but you may need to make early arrangements to find somewhere close to you.

Yes, I interpreted the question as "will German universities accept STEP?", but if the OP's talking about sitting STEP in Germany for Cambridge then there must be a (small) number of students who do this each year :smile:
Reply 1195
Original post by davros
Yes, I interpreted the question as "will German universities accept STEP?", but if the OP's talking about sitting STEP in Germany for Cambridge then there must be a (small) number of students who do this each year :smile:

Sure. I only wrote what I did in case the OP wasn't fluent in English and made a slight mistake in their question.

Of course, as asked your reply was completely correct :smile:

@physicsmaths: yes, I believe the British Council are usually the ones who organise STEP abroad but wasn't 100% so thanks :smile:
Original post by shamika

That's great, I am planning to study there for bachelors next year. My A levels weren't that good, Step might give an advantage to me hopefully :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
That's great, I am planning to study there for bachelors next year. My A levels weren't that good, Step might give an advantage to me hopefully :redface:

So can we be a bit clearer on this please?

You are a UK resident, but you want to study Maths in Germany - correct?

You will need to check carefully with the German universities what their requirements are. I would be surprised if they recognize STEP, never mind accept it, but that is just an assumption and I am prepared to be corrected :smile:
Reply 1198
Original post by davros

You will need to check carefully with the German universities what their requirements are. I would be surprised if they recognize STEP, never mind accept it, but that is just an assumption and I am prepared to be corrected :smile:

100% agree with this
Original post by davros

Nope, I will be doing Bachelors of Mechanical Engineering.
I am from Asia, Is it only done in the UK? :eek:. I really want to give this exam just so to increase my chances of my acceptance into the uni. There's is a fierce competition over there. Having more skill can give me upper hand in my application :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending