valD
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone.
First of all I want to say that I am not sure if this question is suitable for this forum but I don't know where should I ask.
I'm first year of med school in Bulgaria and I LOVE it! Recently I read an article somewhere that stated that marijuana should be legalized because the intake of marijuana at home was the same as the drugs that are used in hospitals to ease pain /or so did the article say/. As far as i know the pain relievers work by blocking the prostaglandins /or their pathway/ that cause nerve impulses to transmit the pain signal.Thus the signals are blocked or numbed. So does marijuana work this way ? And what actually happens to the prostaglandinds-inhibitor complex in the body ?

theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
The cannabinoid compounds found in marijuana do indeed have pain relieving effects. However my understanding is that the main mechanism of analgesia by cannabinoids is within the CNS (while prostaglandins are chemicals that act peripherally at the site of pain), where they are involved in the activation of the PAG - an important pain control centre in the brain which mediates the endogenous opiate descending pathways - neurones which descend from the brain into the spinal cord and release pain-dampening natural opiates/endorphins onto pain pathways and reduce the transmission of pain pain signals at neural junctions, in order to mediate the pain response.

Interestingly however, there has been recent research into the analgesic effects of cannabinoids peripherally, and one mechanism which has been proposed is that they have actions on prostaglandins (PGs). PGs do not cause nerve impulse transmission, but they do cause inflammation and can increase the likelihood of a pain nerve ending/receptor reaching threshold and creating a nerve impulse. NSAID analgesics block the production of PGs, so reduce inflammation and pain (they block the enzyme COX-2 which is involved in making PGs). There is some research to suggest that cannabinoids may act in a similar way, by interfering in the PG synthesis pathway. However there is still ongoing research into the actual mechanisms involved and their implications, i.e. whether this is actually a viable analgesic effect.

If you are asking whether marijuana should be used as a pain killer - there is hope for the use of isolated cannabinoids, and some are in use already in certain countries. As with most therapeutic drugs, isolating the effective chemical and synthesising it on it's own is the safe and effective way of producing a drug that can be quality and dosage-controlled, and hopefully reduce the risks that marijuana itself carries (linked to psychosis and schizophrenia in susceptible individuals).

Some interesting articles:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430692/
https://juniorprof.wordpress.com/200...of-analgesics/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by valD)
Hello everyone.
First of all I want to say that I am not sure if this question is suitable for this forum but I don't know where should I ask.
I'm first year of med school in Bulgaria and I LOVE it! Recently I read an article somewhere that stated that marijuana should be legalized because the intake of marijuana at home was the same as the drugs that are used in hospitals to ease pain /or so did the article say/. As far as i know the pain relievers work by blocking the prostaglandins /or their pathway/ that cause nerve impulses to transmit the pain signal.Thus the signals are blocked or numbed. So does marijuana work this way ? And what actually happens to the prostaglandinds-inhibitor complex in the body ?

With regards to the prostaglandin blockers, are you thinking of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like aspirin, ibuprofen and diclofenac? These work by inhibiting cyclooxygenase 1 (constitutive) and 2 (inducible) enzymes, which convert arachidonic acid into various prostaglandins, some of which (PGE2 in particular) are known to produce pain. It is known that prostaglandins sensitises spinal neurons to pain, although the precise pharmacology (i.e. which receptors mediate this effect) is not yet known.

Paracetamol is another analgesic, although it does not work by inhibiting prostaglandin synthesis; its precise mechanism of action is not known. However, there are some theories involving inhibition of a potential 3rd isoform of cyclooxygenase (COX-3) being present in murine CNS, although this has not yet been isolated from human CNS.

Opioid analgesics, e.g. morphine and its derivatives, and fentanyl, work by mimicking the effect of endorphins - endogenous substances that are pain-relieving and euphorigenic. Opioids work as mu-opioid receptor agonists: these G-protein-coupled receptors are also coupled to an inward-rectifier K+ channel, which causes hyperpolarisation of neurons, leading to fewer pain signals being transmitted.

Hope this helps!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
And let's not forget the psychological component of pain, especially as that is the kind of patient who would need cannabis. Not everything can be explained in terms of while receptor groups
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
66.32%
No (43)
22.28%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.4%

Watched Threads