can someone explain the new a level reforms as simply as possible?

Watch
hollyxjay
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am (hopefully) starting A levels a year late than I should be since I did my GCSEs in summer 2014 but I decided to do something else for 14/15 and am hoping to start A levels this September instead. But doesn't this mean that I will be effected by the new A Levels reforms where as people I know who has just finished AS wont?

If so can someone please explain it to me? Is there any point in buying revision guides now if everything will be changing? I just for get what's going on idk
SH0405
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by holly1798)
I am (hopefully) starting A levels a year late than I should be since I did my GCSEs in summer 2014 but I decided to do something else for 14/15 and am hoping to start A levels this September instead. But doesn't this mean that I will be effected by the new A Levels reforms where as people I know who has just finished AS wont?

If so can someone please explain it to me? Is there any point in buying revision guides now if everything will be changing? I just for get what's going on idk
This may clear things up. Slightly.

Click here
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by SH0405)
This may clear things up. Slightly.

Click here
I'm still kind of confused....
SH0405
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The specifications for this coming year are changing, and there's also reform to come. I think it's the content itself that you're asking about. In terms of the revision guides, make sure they're specific to your course. I'm not sure if they'll be available yet though. Have a look through the specs too.
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which A levels will you be doing?
markvr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From what I know of it AS and A2 levels will no longer be linked by necessity anymore. They'll become standalone qualifications. That is, you won't need to do an AS in order to an A2. This will of course mean that all of the exams for the standalone A2 qualification will take place at the end of the 2 years.
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Which A levels will you be doing?
Providing I get in and the college are happy with my new grades I will hopfully be doing Law, Goverment and Politics, Communication and Culture I need a C and I need to up my grade from a C to a B in English to do G&P and Law
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Providing I get in and the college are happy with my new grades I will hopfully be doing Law, Goverment and Politics, Communication and Culture I need a C and I need to up my grade from a C to a B in English to do G&P and Law
No changes for law and gov. and politics yet, so you'll be doing AS exams in your first year then A2 in your second year. I thought that communications and culture was being scrapped altogether though, but I'm not sure.
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
No changes for law and gov. and politics yet, so you'll be doing AS exams in your first year then A2 in your second year. I thought that communications and culture was being scrapped altogether though, but I'm not sure.
That is honestly so much relief! I really hope I get the B in English now so I can do those two subjects. I'm not really bothers about communication and culture, I am thinking about doing RE anyway since I throughly enjoyed that at GCSE
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is honestly so much relief! I really hope I get the B in English now so I can do those two subjects. I'm not really bothers about communication and culture, I am thinking about doing RE anyway since I throughly enjoyed that at GCSE
I've just had a look at the AQA website; it says that the last exams for communication and culture is 2018, so you can take this. If you take RE this year, the same applies, it isn't changing until 2016, so all of your A levels will follow the current system. I'm not sure if you can resit modules though.
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
I've just had a look at the AQA website; it says that the last exams for communication and culture is 2018, so you can take this. If you take RE this year, the same applies, it isn't changing until 2016, so all of your A levels will follow the current system. I'm not sure if you can resit modules though.
Thanks so much for helping me out! That's made me feel a lot beater about my subject choices since I know that they are very hard and complex and the thought of doing AS and A2 at the same time I really don't think I would be able to work with the subjects. Fingers crossed that I get in now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.16%
Less motivated (190)
68.84%

Watched Threads