Fine Art BA /'16/ - help out a foreigner?

Watch this thread
faerieschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!
So, as I'm not from the UK, I have a lots of questions, and I truly appreciate all help, as I'm not sure where to find answers to my questions.

/ I'm 21 right now, finishing a BA English at university in Hungary, but I plan to apply for a Fine Art course for 2016 entry. I've studied art in high school as well as in local independent art schools, so I'd say I have a background, but I'm not sure if it's what they're looking for at UK unis./

I'm mostly interested in Scottish ones, as I gather they're free for Eu students as well? Otherwise I'm looking for good unis outside of London (unfortunately however good unis are there, life & accommodation would be far too expensive for me )

well my more specific questions are,
1) could you recommend me unis with good reputation for Fine Art (painting), that are located in cities that are affordable,

2) how paying for tuition fees work in England (like I've read something that you only have to start paying back when your monthly income reaches a certain amount?)

3) I'm particularly interested in ECA, GSA, Leeds, Newcastle, Reading, Brighton, Dundee, Birmingham city, Lincoln, Bath Spa for fine Art - do you know anything about them that could be of help? what they're looking for, what kind of artists/ styles they 'prefer', their reps, anything, really? ( I can't go to open days so anything would be really really useful for me!)

4) also a little portfolio advice - do they want to see the same from UK and non-UK students as well, or are they open to 'different' ways and sights?

(I could also show you some of my works if you think you could suggest me places based on them, otherwise I'm not sure where I could find out what's the best place for me. I'm looking for a place where there's individual tutoring for sure, and also individual study, with less paperwork.)

I really really appreciate every word, suggestion, impression, etc you can share, I'm starting to get a little confused after examining uni rankings and websites and videos and whatnot. and sorry for this enormous post ^-^"
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by faerieschild)
Hi!
So, as I'm not from the UK, I have a lots of questions, and I truly appreciate all help, as I'm not sure where to find answers to my questions.

/ I'm 21 right now, finishing a BA English at university in Hungary, but I plan to apply for a Fine Art course for 2016 entry. I've studied art in high school as well as in local independent art schools, so I'd say I have a background, but I'm not sure if it's what they're looking for at UK unis./

I'm mostly interested in Scottish ones, as I gather they're free for Eu students as well? Otherwise I'm looking for good unis outside of London (unfortunately however good unis are there, life & accommodation would be far too expensive for me )

well my more specific questions are,
1) could you recommend me unis with good reputation for Fine Art (painting), that are located in cities that are affordable,

2) how paying for tuition fees work in England (like I've read something that you only have to start paying back when your monthly income reaches a certain amount?)

3) I'm particularly interested in ECA, GSA, Leeds, Newcastle, Reading, Brighton, Dundee, Birmingham city, Lincoln, Bath Spa for fine Art - do you know anything about them that could be of help? what they're looking for, what kind of artists/ styles they 'prefer', their reps, anything, really? ( I can't go to open days so anything would be really really useful for me!)

4) also a little portfolio advice - do they want to see the same from UK and non-UK students as well, or are they open to 'different' ways and sights?

(I could also show you some of my works if you think you could suggest me places based on them, otherwise I'm not sure where I could find out what's the best place for me. I'm looking for a place where there's individual tutoring for sure, and also individual study, with less paperwork.)

I really really appreciate every word, suggestion, impression, etc you can share, I'm starting to get a little confused after examining uni rankings and websites and videos and whatnot. and sorry for this enormous post ^-^"
Here's some portfolio advice:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
My son did Fine Art Painting at ECA. He had a wonderful time, and still lives there. Edinburgh is reasonably affordable and has a capital city vibe on a budget, I think, He did an MA there after his BA. I'm not an expert in any kind of art whatsoever, but going by what he does and what the other students did for the degree shows, I'd say they are pretty open to whatever kind of art you do, as long as you're good at it. He certainly had a very good relationship with his tutors, who let him do his own thing with their blessing. He got a first, and has made a living of sorts out of it since then. I don't really know the details of the course as it wasn't me who studied there, and sons don't always tell you everything!

Of the universities you have listed, ECA, GSA, Leeds, Brighton, Reading and Dundee are probably the more well thought of within the art world.
faerieschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
Here's some portfolio advice:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
My son did Fine Art Painting at ECA. He had a wonderful time, and still lives there. Edinburgh is reasonably affordable and has a capital city vibe on a budget, I think, He did an MA there after his BA. I'm not an expert in any kind of art whatsoever, but going by what he does and what the other students did for the degree shows, I'd say they are pretty open to whatever kind of art you do, as long as you're good at it. He certainly had a very good relationship with his tutors, who let him do his own thing with their blessing. He got a first, and has made a living of sorts out of it since then. I don't really know the details of the course as it wasn't me who studied there, and sons don't always tell you everything!

Of the universities you have listed, ECA, GSA, Leeds, Brighton, Reading and Dundee are probably the more well thought of within the art world.
Oh this sound great, thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads