Is the far right in Britain now less organised?

Watch
RedStar98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For my Extended Project I'm writing about the far right in the UK and I was just interested in the opinions of people here.
What do you think of the BNP as they are now in 2015 in regards to mainstream British politics?
Do you know much about any small far right parties or groups?
In general, would you the far right are now less organised?

Thanks for your help
Drunken Bard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RedStar98)
For my Extended Project I'm writing about the far right in the UK and I was just interested in the opinions of people here.
What do you think of the BNP as they are now in 2015 in regards to mainstream British politics?

Thanks for your help
The far right now has echoed into what Mussolini's blackshirts were in Italy, street thugs.

And before someone says it, UKIP are not Far Right.
Politikal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UK far right has always bemused the British, we laughed at Mosley in his funny uniform.
However, there is not much of a need for far right parties as the anti mass immigration position is now mainstream and catered for by UKIP, and they have enabled mainstream parties like the Conservatives to slowly inch towards an anti immigration position (long way to go though). Labours study of 7 swing seats released last week (see The Guardian) found the key opposition on the door step was around the topics of immigration and welfare, and this from former and current Labour voters. Labour are still battling with what to do about this.

Worth pointing out the far right are now in Government, or close to being in, in various EU nations such as Denmark, Holland, Finland, Sweden, Norway, France.

This is as a result of the liberal establishment relentlessly ignoring the people's concerns and desire for genuine democracy (few people want mass immigration).
Politikal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Something you may want to consider;
The EDL years ago kept asserting mass abuse of white girls by Asian gangs was taking place. Notably Jeremy Paxman kept raising eyebrows and was very dismissive when the former EDL leader repeatedly try to bring this up in a Newsnight interview (I think this was 2011).

Now of course it runs out the EDL was correct all along, and in council after council mass abuse is being uncovered, most notably Rotherham.

I mention this as a typical lecturer would of course try to ensure no such facts as this are illuminated as they ill fit with a typical lecturers world view.
Politikal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here you go, 2011, EDL leader warning about underage white girls being raped and pimped, ignored by the Liberal chaterati;

Mentions this at 6.06 (and other parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96elyZaxq8
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's probably more organised in that the weight of the far right is behind UKIP (although not all Kippers are far-right, before anyone jumps down my throat) now where previously it was split between them, the BNP and other minor parties. (When did you last hear about the National Front in the UK?) This can be seen by the enormous decline in the BNP vote from 2010 to 2015 - from over half a million to only 1667. (This is arguably the most significant change of any major-ish party.)
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Worryingly, the far left seems to be picking up the mantle of the far right
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drunken Bard)
The far right now has echoed into what Mussolini's blackshirts were in Italy, street thugs.

And before someone says it, UKIP are not Far Right.
If by far right you mean fascist then sure, although some of their supporters do express fascist like sentiments, you can imagine those are the sorts of people fascist movements of old would have attracted (and for balance I'd probably add people like Galloway to that list). Douglas Carswell is a very right libertarian. That doesn't make him a fascist however, at all. Carswell represents what UKIP should be imo. Instead they got all this horrible social conservatism going on :-/

Fascism to me seems like a version of extreme centrism where economic and social hierarchies are maintained via a strict state. Is also extremely socially conservative.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The simple answer is Yes.

Most activists have left the BNP and splintered.

Most voters have backed Ukip.
Drunken Bard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
If by far right you mean fascist then sure, although some of their supporters do express fascist like sentiments, you can imagine those are the sorts of people fascist movements of old would have attracted (and for balance I'd probably add people like Galloway to that list). Douglas Carswell is a very right libertarian. That doesn't make him a fascist however, at all. Carswell represents what UKIP should be imo. Instead they got all this horrible social conservatism going on :-/

Fascism to me seems like a version of extreme centrism where economic and social hierarchies are maintained via a strict state. Is also extremely socially conservative.

Only reason for that is the fact UKIP is the only party who wishes to limit European migration, which in itself isn't racist.

If the Tories turned around tomorrow and suggested the same thing, you would probably have a good bunch of racists in the Conservative party tomorrow.

It's unfortunate their party got hijacked by racist loonies and Tory dinosaurs, you can tell Farage hates half of his party.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RedStar98)

Thanks for your help
The BNP are a hard left party with an economic policy reminiscent of France's National Front (who are also hard left).

Perhaps you could write about the internationalist left's conceit that any policy platform which differs from "Open borders" is a "far-right" agenda (which in itself is just politically correct speak for "unacceptable").
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Basically I think as had been mentioned you need to distinguish between economic conservatism and social conservatism- the two are by no means the same thing.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Far right is in peril in the UK.

National Front are non-existent. Combat 88 have withered away. The BNP has internally combusted. EDL is a lot less active since Tommy Robinson left.

The only group with any momentum is Britain First, who are essentially keyboard warriors with no real established grass roots presence. They turn up in a town, protest against a mosque or something, and then bugger off. Their support is too geographically spread and not in personal contact that they will never really reach the heights of the National Front, or even the BNP. The internet as a medium to attract support is important, but flawed if you depend on it entirely.

And for all the casual members and swing voters that these groups previously attracted, UKIP has filled the void being a much more palatable alternative who focus on similar issues and actually have some influence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (123)
41.55%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (33)
11.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.43%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (66)
22.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.42%

Watched Threads