Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any one thinking of doing, or has done the BUNAC Summer Camp / KAMP schemes (or similar schemes) for during the summer break next year from Uni ?

You get to go over to the states, do a bit of either Counselling, or do some admin/labour work at one of the many summer camps that go off Stateside - earn about $800, and then, if you want, travel - before getting yourself back to New York to get your plane home.

The flights are paid for - all you are responsible for is getting to Heathrow, and JFK (I think) for your flights.

You have to be a Uni student (or holding Unconditional Offers) to qualify for the special visa you get to do the work, which is why I'm not doing it this summer, but I am giving it some serious consideration for the break next summer.

Has to be a valuable experience ?

ReputationRep:
    i would be interested in that from next year after i start uni

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bunac.co.uk/uk/usa.asp

The two schemes we're looking at off there are Camp America, and KAMP.

One thing it doesn't say is when the Summer 04 application process begins, but I assume it won't be long after this Summer season ends.

I looked into doing camp america, i might next summer. I know someone whos doing it this year, they said it was hard work but an enjoyable experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, the website warns you that it's not a free holiday, but then you would be naive if you went over there with that attitude.

I can imagine it to be an enjoyable experience, and most probably a well welcome break after the first years worth of study.

ReputationRep:
    We had someone from BUNAC come and talk to us once, it was really quite interesting and I would definately think about it during my summer next year. However he said American kids could be a right pain in the backside sometimes!!! I suppose that goes with all kids anywhere you go!!!

THe other company that interested me was World Challenge. They offer all sorts of stuff from expeditions and trekking to teaching - I quite fancied going for an expedidtion in Eastern Europe for 4 months - its something that I'd quite like to do.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, and yes this IS my first post.
    My appologies for resurrecting an old thread.

Summer Camps.
    Well I worked at a summer camp during the summers of 1999 and 2000 in Massachusettes USA.
    The camp was a private camp with kids ranging from 6-16 yrs and from pretty wealthy backgrounds (e.g. one kid in my cabin, his dad was Brittney Spears agent). The kids attended camp for the full 9 weeks and the camp was all about sports.

Swimming, basketball,. baseball, hockey, water ski-ing, tennis... yada yada yada... all others sports included.

Working at that summer camp was the best 2 summers of my entire life... no kidding. And if I had the chance now (no longer a student, I'm a full time worker) I would go back every summer.

The experience you get and the friends you make are something I would recommend everyone try.
    I have made friends with so many different people all over the world that I could travel and not have to pay for accomodation to most parts of the globe. Also knowing how you worked with children and possibly did something possitive to reflect on their lives is truly an amazing feeling.

Ok the money is poor, but that's not what it's about... not for me anyway. I would work for free over there (if I had my own business that made me some decent money whereby I could). It's about bonding, laughing, having a great summer, making great friends, helping a child to swim on his or her own for the first time (I was a lifeguard/swim coach) and the chance for a summer in the sun. All these things make for a truly amazing time.

I went with Camp Counsellors USA ( CCUSA site ), and they looked after me all the way. At the time they paid the best too, which was a bonus.

I'd recommend a summer at a camp anyday to anyone with the courage and spirit of adverture to want to do something like this. If it's in your mind, go for it.... you'll only regret it later in life that you didn't even try.

All the best for Christmas everyone!!

DB

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do do the camp america thing, but after watching bowling for coloumbine i was freaked out about the attitute towards guns, what if theres a fat kid who doesnt wanna play sports and u force him to, then he comes back with a uzi

When did u get back from the camp?, did u have enough time to relax before starting uni again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VampireWithSoul)
    I would love to do do the camp america thing, but after watching bowling for coloumbine i was freaked out about the attitute towards guns, what if theres a fat kid who doesnt wanna play sports and u force him to, then he comes back with a uzi

When did u get back from the camp?, did u have enough time to relax before starting uni again?
    I never went to uni. I was just searching the net for 'summer camp forums' and this post came up.
    I only ever went to college, which is where I saw the advert. i highly doubt any kid would come back and uzi you. The thing with these camps is you dont 'make' the kid do sports. They dont have to, but are encouraged to. You'll find all them want to.

I came back on my first summer around mid to late August... my college course didn't start back up till September 15th or so... so I had a couple of weeks to myself.

Would HIGHLY recommend the experience to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Have to say that the BUNAC Summer Camp / KAMP schemes do look tempting

(Original post by Soulfish)

I spent summer on Camp America in the catskills mountains, NY. Nothing like Columbine - more like Dirty Dancing (if you remember that far back).
    Kids are great - so are the racoons and chipmunks (not keen on the skunks and bears though). Travelled after down to Florida keys - sun, sea.....
    seems like a long time ago now - but only 6 months to go and then I am going back! Camp America rocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulfish)
    I've been looking at Travellers Worldwide You dont have to be a Uni student or anything, and there's loads of different projects you can go on - from work experience in journalism and medicine, to conservation with baby elephants or teaching. You do have to pay, but its not a great deal considering what you get for it - and you can go anytime for any length of time.

I'm definitely going to look into the med placements in more detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandela)
    I spent summer on Camp America in the catskills mountains, NY. Nothing like Columbine - more like Dirty Dancing (if you remember that far back).
    Kids are great - so are the racoons and chipmunks (not keen on the skunks and bears though). Travelled after down to Florida keys - sun, sea.....
    seems like a long time ago now - but only 6 months to go and then I am going back! Camp America rocks.
    I'm so jealous. I'd love to go back. I stayed in Becket MA and it was the best I've ever had.

Summer camp rocks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starbuck*)
    I've been looking at Travellers Worldwide You dont have to be a Uni student or anything, and there's loads of different projects you can go on - from work experience in journalism and medicine, to conservation with baby elephants or teaching. You do have to pay, but its not a great deal considering what you get for it - and you can go anytime for any length of time.

I'm definitely going to look into the med placements in more detail.

I've just got back from a Travellers Worldwide placement. I went to Malaysia to do a teaching project and loved it- I was working at a seventh day adventist school, the strictnesss of which concerned me before I went. However, people are lovely, not too heavy a teaching load, plenty of time to travel at weekends and afterwards.
    The office were also really supportive. I did wonder what all the money went on- mainly wages in the UK office I think. However, although feeling slightly ripped off the project was lifechanging, and cheaper than Raleigh or I-to-I etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is an old thread! Anyway, since I am interested in these summer camps I might as well ask a question.... could anyone tell me whether there are decent positions for people who aren't particularly good at sports?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Wow, this is an old thread! Anyway, since I am interested in these summer camps I might as well ask a question.... could anyone tell me whether there are decent positions for people who aren't particularly good at sports?
    You could always do one of those summer camps for fat kids...

I met a group of brits doing a summer camp in cape cod (I think they're summer camp was elsewhere, they were just on vacation). They seemed to have had a good time there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    You could list your skills as anything - sports, arts and craft, music (cue: 'this one summer, at band camp...') or even no particular area at all.

ReputationRep:
    I worked at a girl scout camp and it was fun. Very basic though. Lived in a tent for 8 weeks! no flushing loos! But I had a fun time and got to go on lots of free trips (Niagara falls, Empire state building etc etc.) I think I was lucky though. I know someone who had to live in a cabin with eight 13 year olds in a field in the middle of Iowa for 2 months. I didn't have to share a tent with the kids (the tents were big and we had camp beds in them, so not all that bad.) and we had different kids each week. My kids were fine but on the flight back I met a girl who had been to a camp for young offenders! She had to go on a course to learn how to restrain and disarm them, but actually never needed to use these techniques! I went with Camp America and I have to say they are totally disorganised so maybe BUNAC would be a better bet?

I am TOTALLY not into sports. Just don't tick sports on the form! At my camp we did have to swim though. In a cold lake every day! We didn't have any hot showers anyway so it was better than a cold shower.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.