Should all a-level students do the same board? Watch

Poll: Should all A-level students take exams set by the same board?
Yes (61)
77.22%
No (6)
7.59%
Will it really matter? (10)
12.66%
This is just an excuse for poor results (2)
2.53%
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I personally think so.
games211
Rep:
?
ooops can a moderator please make the poll public ( i.e not hidden) thanks
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
games211
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)
I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have just realised how unfair it is.

Forexample : OCR chemistry f324-the same unit for AQA and Edexcel was much much easier in comparison.
games211
Rep:
?
bump
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, definitely. It would be much fairer. Whilst they try to standardise the boards, it obviously isn't going to be completely fair.
wightsnowolf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think that it's pretty stupid for there to be multiple boards, I think that all exams should be the same for everyone as that would give a better overview of how people compare to each other.
games211
Rep:
?
(Original post by wightsnowolf)
I think that it's pretty stupid for there to be multiple boards, I think that all exams should be the same for everyone as that would give a better overview of how people compare to each other.
Yes!
games211
Rep:
?
Also, I think schools shouldn't concentrate on teaching specifications from one exam board, I think it should be u pto the student to choose which exam board to pick!
Munrot07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by games211)
Also, I think schools shouldn't concentrate on teaching specifications from one exam board, I think it should be up to the student to choose which exam board to pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That just is not possible. Just using the main three exam boards if you have a class split into 3 sections each wanting a different exam board it just isn't possible to teach them all. You would end up teaching irrelevant information to different people to make sure everyone knew what they were doing. There would be triple the amount of practicals to be done (in the current system), different topics taught at different times, different requirements in the course. Completely unfeasible.
games211
Rep:
?
(Original post by Munrot07)
That just is not possible. Just using the main three exam boards if you have a class split into 3 sections each wanting a different exam board it just isn't possible to teach them all. You would end up teaching irrelevant information to different people to make sure everyone knew what they were doing. There would be triple the amount of practicals to be done (in the current system), different topics taught at different times, different requirements in the course. Completely unfeasible.
True but the items in bold justifies why having three different exam boards is unfair.
Munrot07
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True but the items in bold justifies why having three different exam boards is unfair.
I'm not against having one exam board...in fact I think it would be a great idea (just from a teaching perspective it helps...If a teacher is used to one exam board they will have to teach themselves new bits if they go to a school that wants them to teach a different one).

However what you suggested would make the already not ideal situation far worse.
games211
Rep:
?
I'm not against having one exam board...in fact I think it would be a great idea (just from a teaching perspective it helps...If a teacher is used to one exam board they will have to teach themselves new bits if they go to a school that wants them to teach a different one).

However what you suggested would make the already not ideal situation far worse.
But how long will that take? Would you be comfortable being in that class where the teacher has no idea of the current spec because they are used to another one?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Government (well Mr Gove actually) tried to introduce one board for GCSE English and Maths - it wasn't allowed as the exam boards claimed 'restraint of trade' as whoever won the contract would make the other two bankrupt.
Munrot07
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But how long will that take? Would you be comfortable being in that class where the teacher has no idea of the current spec because they are used to another one?
I think you missed the point of my post...I'm agreeing with you...I'm saying that having multiple exam boards is bad for teachers as they have to learn new ones which therefore impacts students this one exam board is better...
games211
Rep:
?
I think you missed the point of my post...I'm agreeing with you...I'm saying that having multiple exam boards is bad for teachers as they have to learn new ones which therefore impacts students this one exam board is better...
oh yeah loool I thought you were referring to the great idea lool sorry
games211
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
The Government (well Mr Gove actually) tried to introduce one board for GCSE English and Maths - it wasn't allowed as the exam boards claimed 'restraint of trade' as whoever won the contract would make the other two bankrupt.
LOOOOOOOL I am done!
Munrot07
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh yeah loool I thought you were referring to the great idea lool sorry
Nah...I really think one exam board would be a great idea for both students and teachers (and since I want to be a teacher and I do currently tutor I know how annoying different exam boards are).
Jessiocar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone un private the poll results!!
games211
Rep:
?
Nah...I really think one exam board would be a great idea for both students and teachers (and since I want to be a teacher and I do currently tutor I know how annoying different exam boards are).
Since you tutor would you be able to rank exam boards, say for biology, from easiest to hardest ( in your opinion)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (364)
59.09%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.36%
No- I want it (174)
28.25%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.31%

Watched Threads