The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma for one year?

I want to do a BTEC Level 3 in computer science for one year instead of two. By this I mean complete the first year and not continue with the second year. Is this possible, and if so, would doing it for one year still give me some UCAS points?

I will already (hopefully) have two A Levels at grade B so will already have some UCAS points, I just want a way of boosting my points up a bit. I'd just rather spend 1 year and not 2 doing BTEC if possible.

Sorry if this is a completely stupid question but I'm a bit in the dark at the moment.
:smile:
I believe doing one year is classed as a 'certificate' instead of a 'diploma'.

Back when I was on my first year of the extended diploma, I actually had two fellow students in my class doing exactly what you're suggesting; for the sole purpose of boosting their overall UCAS score to allow them to progress to Uni.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with someone at your desired or current place of education to discuss this with you in greater detail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ammejow
I want to do a BTEC Level 3 in computer science for one year instead of two. By this I mean complete the first year and not continue with the second year. Is this possible, and if so, would doing it for one year still give me some UCAS points?

I will already (hopefully) have two A Levels at grade B so will already have some UCAS points, I just want a way of boosting my points up a bit. I'd just rather spend 1 year and not 2 doing BTEC if possible.

Sorry if this is a completely stupid question but I'm a bit in the dark at the moment.
:smile:

Might be possible but you will need to check that the units you need are taught in the first year. If a core unit is second year then it would screw up your plan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Might be possible but you will need to check that the units you need are taught in the first year. If a core unit is second year then it would screw up your plan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the course summary it says that by the end of year one a 'Subsidiary Diploma in IT (6 Units)' and a '90 Credit Diploma in IT (9 Units)' will have been completed. Looking at the UCAS website it seems to imply they are worthy of some points so hopefully that's correct.
Thank you:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Adamwigan
I believe doing one year is classed as a 'certificate' instead of a 'diploma'.

Back when I was on my first year of the extended diploma, I actually had two fellow students in my class doing exactly what you're suggesting; for the sole purpose of boosting their overall UCAS score to allow them to progress to Uni.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with someone at your desired or current place of education to discuss this with you in greater detail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've been trying to get my head around all the different terms and it's confused the hell out of me that's for sure!

And that's exactly what my plan is as well so I hopefully I can do just that. I've tried to get in contact with the college and I'm waiting for a response.

Thanks for your help:smile:
I've just done one year of Level 3 Creative Meida and I received a 90 credit diploma so I assume those 90 credits will just be added into my UCAS application when the time comes. You will need to check though because some Level 3 programs are two years but a lot of my college ones were one year with the optional second year to do the Level 3 Extended Diploma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending