Is it ever okay or justified to loose it at work?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Recently, at work, I've found myself on the cusp of completely losing it. I've been in my job eight years (through leaving school aged 16 to post-university now 24). It was intended as a sort of stop gap- transitional thing.

However, because I live on-site at my place of work, and all of my immediate family works there it is easy and always has been. Therefore, I guess I stayed out of ease and convenience, as well as the fact it is easier said than done to get another job, particularly over the last two/three years with the youth unemployment issue.

In 2011 my former boss left because he had a nervous breakdown due to unruly staff, gossiping and the fact two other senior female colleagues below him had colluded against him, brazenly bullying him into submission.

He was driven to ill health- simply because one of said colleagues wanted the 'top job'. She went after him tooth and nail rather unscrupulously. He had a breakdown due to the stress of defending himself, and been screwed over by false accusations, sabotage and the board of directors taking colleagues side.

He left with a £30,000 payout- as part of an out of court settlement- as he was going to sue the company.

Meanwhile, I was sad because he was a great guy, and boss, one of which my mother and him went back 30 years (childhood mates).

Ever since, my new boss has been the new nightmare on the block. I can't even begin to describe or find the words to show how she is. 'Manipulative' would be one. She has fired so many people, in what I feel was unfair, she has victimised, bullied and twisted words of former workers. My mother told me, as soon as she learned of her appointment to manager, that things are gonna change around here.

Now, I am grinded down by the toxic atmosphere, so much so that when I'm on shift I am like a time bomb waiting to explode.

I've never been a violent person, though I have mental health issues, and have a tendency to go from 0 to 100 in a short space of time. Lately, I am less and less tolerable of my colleagues and the stress is starting to make me angry as a person.

Why is it socially unacceptable to lose it with people? Particularly if said person deserves all that is coming to them. (inc. my boss).
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Recently, at work, I've found myself on the cusp of completely losing it. I've been in my job eight years (through leaving school aged 16 to post-university now 24). It was intended as a sort of stop gap- transitional thing.

However, because I live on-site at my place of work, and all of my immediate family works there it is easy and always has been. Therefore, I guess I stayed out of ease and convenience, as well as the fact it is easier said than done to get another job, particularly over the last two/three years with the youth unemployment issue.

In 2011 my former boss left because he had a nervous breakdown due to unruly staff, gossiping and the fact two other senior female colleagues below him had colluded against him, brazenly bullying him into submission.

He was driven to ill health- simply because one of said colleagues wanted the 'top job'. She went after him tooth and nail rather unscrupulously. He had a breakdown due to the stress of defending himself, and been screwed over by false accusations, sabotage and the board of directors taking colleagues side.

He left with a £30,000 payout- as part of an out of court settlement- as he was going to sue the company.

Meanwhile, I was sad because he was a great guy, and boss, one of which my mother and him went back 30 years (childhood mates).

Ever since, my new boss has been the new nightmare on the block. I can't even begin to describe or find the words to show how she is. 'Manipulative' would be one. She has fired so many people, in what I feel was unfair, she has victimised, bullied and twisted words of former workers. My mother told me, as soon as she learned of her appointment to manager, that things are gonna change around here.

Now, I am grinded down by the toxic atmosphere, so much so that when I'm on shift I am like a time bomb waiting to explode.

I've never been a violent person, though I have mental health issues, and have a tendency to go from 0 to 100 in a short space of time. Lately, I am less and less tolerable of my colleagues and the stress is starting to make me angry as a person.

Why is it socially unacceptable to lose it with people? Particularly if said person deserves all that is coming to them. (inc. my boss).
I doesn't sound like this is a particularly healthy working environment for you to be in. If you were to loose it with her that would probably do a lot of harm to you and very little harm to her. Do you think that looking for another job would be an option for you? If you can keep your calm at work there is a good chance that you would be able to get a good reference. Another option would be to approach her boss with your concerns about the way that things and to explain the issues that you are having and see how that goes. Though I appreciate that this might not be easy to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (43)
27.56%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.97%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.05%

Watched Threads