The Student Room Group

commuting to uni and freshers

Hi there,
I am planning on commuting to uni because it will save me a lot of money as i won't be paying for halls and also in london i simply cannot afford halls. Does anyone commute to uni and also how does it affect your social life and freshers? I am worried that i will struggle to meet people in freshers as i am unlikely to be able to go to events that go on late in the night due to the trains.
Original post by boing360
Hi there,
I am planning on commuting to uni because it will save me a lot of money as i won't be paying for halls and also in london i simply cannot afford halls. Does anyone commute to uni and also how does it affect your social life and freshers? I am worried that i will struggle to meet people in freshers as i am unlikely to be able to go to events that go on late in the night due to the trains.

Realistically, your freshers experience will probably be a bit different, especially if you're limiting yourself to coming home on the last train in London. There will be daytime events too, and some events where attending in the early evening then leaving will work fine. You will get to meet people if you make the effort to be outgoing, but obviously you will miss out on things.

Freshers is only one week though, and most people don't make their best friends during freshers week. You will make friends and meet people, and once you have friends, you will have somewhere to stay for nights out, and be able to join in with most things.

Joining a society early on is probably a really good idea, as this will give you some planned social events to attend.
It'll affect freshers quite a lot as most of it is bonding with flatmates, you might end up hanging out with some coursemates but not nearly as much and societies don't really meet until the first or more likely second week of term.

For social life as a whole, you'll find everything a bit more inconvenient as you'll likely have to make a bigger trek to any meeting place. You'll also miss out on a few house parties.

On the matter of other effects, if you're commuting quite far it will really tire you out and consider that commuting to London is rather expensive and it may work out cheaper to go to and stay at a non London uni.
All the bonding I did with my friends happened throughout the year. Barely any happened during freshers' week. Freshers' week is fine but two weeks in people aren't going to care if you went to said event at Ministry or whatever.

I go to a London uni too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending