The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex - Psychology freshers

Hey all.

Anyone planning on studying Psychology this October at Essex? Would be really nice to get to know some people so that this whole university thing is less scary :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CeeLou
Hey all.

Anyone planning on studying Psychology this October at Essex? Would be really nice to get to know some people so that this whole university thing is less scary :wink:

Hey, due to not getting into my firm choice it looks like I'll be studying psychology at Essex now, so hello :smile:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MonicaG12
Hey, due to not getting into my firm choice it looks like I'll be studying psychology at Essex now, so hello :smile:

Well hey! Where are you from?

Sucks that you weren't going where you were expecting to go but I'm sure you'll Essex. I swear every time I've visited the campus I've seen several bunnies about and who couldn't love that? Plus the department is really good!
Original post by CeeLou
Well hey! Where are you from?

Sucks that you weren't going where you were expecting to go but I'm sure you'll Essex. I swear every time I've visited the campus I've seen several bunnies about and who couldn't love that? Plus the department is really good!

I'm from Norwich, I wanted to go to the UEA but exam results said no....so alas Essex accepted me haha. The campus is covered with animals I swear, so I know what you mean! Don't they have a cat there too? (Looking like a cat obsessed person by my icon too...oops)
Essex was my insurance too, so it looks like I'll be going there in September!
Reply 5
I'm from Norwich, I wanted to go to the UEA but exam results said no....so alas Essex accepted me haha. The campus is covered with animals I swear, so I know what you mean! Don't they have a cat there too? (Looking like a cat obsessed person by my icon too...oops)

Ahh cool, so not very very far away then. I feel so happy I had a gap year and didn't have to stress out today over results. Emotions would be all over! You excited about uni being all confirmed and official and everything now then? It's not long at all now just over a month :0

Oh my god, yeah the campus cat! It's a twitter actually, which I find more hilarious than I care to admit. I'm obsessed with cats a swell so it's cool. In my opinion if you don't like cats you have no heart :P I'll even admit that the fact the campus cat looks a heck of a lot like my Luna made me like Essex even more.
Reply 6
Original post by RedVines14
Essex was my insurance too, so it looks like I'll be going there in September!

Excited? Nervous? Both? :P
Original post by CeeLou
Excited? Nervous? Both? :P

I'm pretty excited actually - I thought I would be super upset if I didn't get into my firm (Leicester), but after looking at what Essex has to offer I'm beginning to think it's all been for the best :smile: (Although I'm not sure which accommodation to choose)
Original post by CeeLou
Ahh cool, so not very very far away then. I feel so happy I had a gap year and didn't have to stress out today over results. Emotions would be all over! You excited about uni being all confirmed and official and everything now then? It's not long at all now just over a month :0

Oh my god, yeah the campus cat! It's a twitter actually, which I find more hilarious than I care to admit. I'm obsessed with cats a swell so it's cool. In my opinion if you don't like cats you have no heart :P I'll even admit that the fact the campus cat looks a heck of a lot like my Luna made me like Essex even more.

I was all worried to start with because I was mentally set on going to the UEA but I'm happy I didn't have to go through clearing so I'm feel okay now....I'll probably be more excited as the time comes!

P.S if you see a female with cat shoes (vans with cats on them) then that's most likely to be me (I promise I'm not a crazy cat lady!)
Reply 9
Original post by RedVines14
I'm pretty excited actually - I thought I would be super upset if I didn't get into my firm (Leicester), but after looking at what Essex has to offer I'm beginning to think it's all been for the best :smile: (Although I'm not sure which accommodation to choose)

Yeah - I think wherever people end up going they feel happy and wouldn't change it because they end up really enjoying how things turned out. Least that's been the case for my friends last year when they ended up at their insurance or going through clearing.

Well i'm in south towers because they're the cheapest and I don't have much student loan. Kinda liked the feel of them too :smile: But all the accommodation looked neat to be fair. My fingers crossed I don't end up having flatmates from hell though. Knowing my luck it's gonna be interesting seeing who I'm living with for the next year :P
Reply 10
I was all worried to start with because I was mentally set on going to the UEA but I'm happy I didn't have to go through clearing so I'm feel okay now....I'll probably be more excited as the time comes!

P.S if you see a female with cat shoes (vans with cats on them) then that's most likely to be me (I promise I'm not a crazy cat lady!)

I'll keep an eye out for ya! And if you see a female trying to steal the campus cat and smuggle it away to her room then that's most likely to be me :wink:
Won't be a fresher (will be going into 3rd year), but just wanted to say, welcome guys!
Reply 12
Original post by Pathway
Won't be a fresher (will be going into 3rd year), but just wanted to say, welcome guys!

Thanks!
Any tips you're willing to share?
Original post by CeeLou
Thanks!
Any tips you're willing to share?

Study hard, play hard. :wink:

Nah, but really. This year is meant for you to settle in, get everyone on a level playing field. So be as chilled out as possible. You're all going to be fine. Any issues come to 2nd/3rd years, or your personal tutors or the relevant lecturer.

Also, please don't burn things at 3AM - you will make enemies like that, aha!

To those who had Essex as your insurance choice, don't sweat. It was my insurance choice as well, and I'm happy I got in here. It's an amazing university with wonderful people.

Hope you'll all be happy here. :yep:
Reply 14
Hi guyssss,
Essex was my firm, so i was proper pleased when I got in!
I'm going to do Psychology with a year abroad and staying at South Towers Bertrand Russel, where are you guys going to be living? :smile:
Original post by Zoeee1
Hi guyssss,
I'm going to do Psychology with a year abroad and staying at South Towers Bertrand Russel, where are you guys going to be living? :smile:

I'm living in The Meadows! I'm surprised how quickly they sent me an accommodation offer, it was literally half an hour after I sent it off
Reply 16
Original post by Zoeee1
Hi guyssss,

Nice! Same tower as me. So I guess I'll see you around a lot :smile:
If anyone is still in need of accommodation, we've got a house of 4 girls looking for another person☺️ It's £360 a month, cheaper than the nice halls on campus and a kingsize room☺️ Message me on Facebook for more info - Bex Matticks
I'm also doing psychology and living km the south towers :smile:
Reply 19

Hey! We're on the same boat!! I wanted to go to UEA but they rejected me so I got into Essex which was my insurance choice!!

Quick Reply

Latest