The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Car parking

Hello
Im starting Southampton solent in September, i was wondering is there anywhere else i can park my car for free, or cheaper than paying the 10.00 per week? As this is quite expensive, especially for students.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Not really I'm afraid. The halls are all in the city centre so parking is limited. Most places are 1 hour / 2 hour max or require a residents permit.

I agree it is expensive though. I didn't take my car with me in 1st year because of this.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Honestly unless you live more then 30 mins walk outside of the city centre, I would recommend leaving the car at home. Its too much hassle parking and with the one way systems in place its much quicker to get around by walking or bus. I've lived as afar away as Hill Lane and its still only 15/20min walk into town.
Hi DanDan9,
There are a number of streets away from the University and Halls that you can park for free, however, these are quite a few minutes walk away (at least from 'the Polygon'), and your Insurance Company probably wouldn't like the thought of that either.

However, the cost of parking at halls, is much better value for money than parking with a permit from the council (I'd be paying double that).

So if you do need your car, parking at halls will be your cheapest option, especially if your insurer will increase your premium for it being on a public street, instead of the car park at halls.

Cars are expensive to run, even when you're not using them, and not many students will bring them in their first years because of this.

-Adam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending