The Student Room Group

Can I Take A-levels without GCSE or Equivalent?

I'm in America, moving to the UK in a year or so, and although I have high school experience (similar to GCSE), I haven't graduated. I'm completely capable and a very good student, I've just had interruptions in my life that have stopped me from being able to graduate, and I believe I'll have a better chance at, well, life, if I study in England.
If I come over to the UK, and want to take A-levels (I'm aiming to become a vet tech in the long run), would I be able to? And if so, would I be able to go to a uni with only A-levels?
I think for the most part, yes. The UK system is different in that after A Levels, you then do a degree. So whereas in the US you'd start law after college, in England you'd start much earlier at the age of 18.

I'm guessing to be a vet technician you may consider sciencey A Levels. Having 3 from Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology would be a good first step. You'd also need work experience to show dedication to the course. If you choose to do 4 A Levels, your final subject could be anything.

Have a check online though, I may be wrong about the A Levels needed
Reply 2
Original post by Big Blue Machine
I think for the most part, yes. The UK system is different in that after A Levels, you then do a degree.

So I might be able to do A-levels without a diploma? I guess a better way to pose this is: If a student drops out of GCSE, could they still move on to A-levels (if they're in the 16-18 age range)?
Original post by outfeeder
So I might be able to do A-levels without a diploma? I guess a better way to pose this is: If a student drops out of GCSE, could they still move on to A-levels (if they're in the 16-18 age range)?

Probably depends on the A level. For Geofraphy and Philosophy, I know people who didn't do those GCSEs. It largely depends on the sixthform college . What A Levels are you considering ?
Reply 4
Chemistry, Biology, and whatever else, something I'll actually enjoy.

If a student were to drop out and not achieve GCSE qualifications there is no way they would be accepted on to an a level study programme in a UK state school.

What you might be allowed to do will depend a lot on where you plan to study. A private college might take your prior study into account even though you have no qualification to show for it. They may expect to to take entry tests to demonstrate your ability. It's very unlikely that a UK state school would do so and they would probably insist you spend a year in some kind of study that demonstrates your ability to succeed at A level.

If you are, as you suggest, very capable you may be able to skip A levels if a you are a mature student and go straight into an access course that leads directly to your degree level study.

I assume you have worked out how you will fund your education in the UK. It will not be inexpensive for an international student and scholarships are not nearly as readily available or generous as they can be in the USA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm in America, moving to the UK in a year or so, and although I have high school experience (similar to GCSE), I haven't graduated. I'm completely capable and a very good student, I've just had interruptions in my life that have stopped me from being able to graduate, and I believe I'll have a better chance at, well, life, if I study in England.
If I come over to the UK, and want to take A-levels (I'm aiming to become a vet tech in the long run), would I be able to? And if so, would I be able to go to a uni with only A-levels?

You could but normally it's private sixth form/colleges that allow this where you'd have to pay thousands per term. That's if you want full time education, these are the only places I can really think of. My friend is in the same position as you but he had to take his GCSEs then he can move onto A levels and he is 21. You could also take the alternative route of joining tutor centres but this is like part time education and you'd have to self teach on the most part but you could join tutor sessions where you'd have three lessons a week then the days you are off, you'd self teach the material. It would not be thousands but it still would be quite pricey. Maybe in a month compared to the private school that may demand £4,500 or higher, you'd pay around £200 pounds.
Or you could just purely self teach as there are many resources online but I wouldn't advise this for science based courses where you may need to do practicals as it's very expensive to do independently. You could easily self teach maths as there is examsolutions but I'm not sure with other subjects. You'd have to register to a centre where you could sit these exams. Also you'd have to pay entry fees to the courses which is on the websites of the exam boards you may decide to use.
Honestly speaking though, as you may not be familiar with the system maybe it's best not to self teach as it could be harder for you to understand what is going on in terms of A levels. There are changes this year to some subjects meaning new specifications, new exam papers, new everything. The content is still the same but the whole system would change so maybe it's best you have someone to guide and lead you into the correct direction. It's a difficult situation, I think you should speak to someone who knows more about education and how things work. Good luck.
Chemistry, Biology, and whatever else, something I'll actually enjoy.

Have you considered getting the GCSE's first? IId really recommend you at least learnt the GCSE Chemistry Biology and maths content, it will make A Level easier. It's a big enough jump for GCSE students !
Reply 8
I am student from one of the EU countries and I don't have GCSEs. Despite that College in UK allow me to do A-levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I also don't pay for my studies.
Reply 9
If you are looking to be a vet technician then you may want to check the entry requirements for any unis etc you are thinking of applying to as they may have some GCSE requirements as well as A level ones. A lot of courses ask for GCSE maths and English, and science based courses can also ask for science GCSEs. I'm not sure if you would be exempt if you did the right A levels (you would need to contact the individual unis).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi Snuvisol

I am also from EU and looking to do science and biology A levels, however I have no GCSE's.

Would be interesting to know what documents did the college ask you for and how did you manage to get on a free course?

Drop me a message please, I would really like to speak to someone who's in similar situation.

Looking forward hearing from you!

Auss
Reply 11
if you haven't graduated then you won't have the maths and English requirements for university. So you would probably need to take those as GCSEs. Even people on access courses need to have those or the equivalent.
An access course is actually something I would recommend for you as many sixth form and further education colleges have quite strict entry requirements that may bar you from enrolling and taking A levels. That said, they may offer you a place based on your transcripts and on the proviso that you take maths and English GCSEs. You'll just have to investigate.
Original post by Aussie_
Hi Snuvisol

I am also from EU and looking to do science and biology A levels, however I have no GCSE's.

Would be interesting to know what documents did the college ask you for and how did you manage to get on a free course?

Drop me a message please, I would really like to speak to someone who's in similar situation.

Looking forward hearing from you!

Auss

I applied through internet, then college gave me interview. I brought all of the documents that I get in my country but they said that they don't care about them. I explained my situations and they basically gave my chance. You must make sure that any equivalents you got are not the same as A levels. There is some law saying that you cannot do the same course twice. Mine were 'more like AS, not A-levels' so they allow me to do this free. And since you need to do AS AND A2 to get A-levels.... Or maybe I was just lucky :smile:
But I think that they don't regret their decision as I get AAA in my AS level exams:smile:
Ohh.. and Universities always asking about ALL of you exams, no matter which country it was done..
If you don't have GCSE English you must do IELTS before starting the Uni. It have to be at least score 6 but for some courses 7.5
Can I do a level RE without doing GCSE re? Will it be hard
I have a similar question .So I am from Romania and I moved to UK in September. The school I go to was rubbish enough to put me in year 10 even though I already did both year 10 and 11 but I didn't quite finish it . And now I have to take gcse . I need to mention that I turned 16 in April and I just feel weird . So I was wandering it it would be possible for me to go to a levels from next year instead of y11 gcse
i did o.levels 1 year ago now i want to do A.level direct . can i do?
Original post by mansoor pervez
i did o.levels 1 year ago now i want to do A.level direct . can i do?

Original post by denisa_kiraly
I have a similar question .So I am from Romania and I moved to UK in September. The school I go to was rubbish enough to put me in year 10 even though I already did both year 10 and 11 but I didn't quite finish it . And now I have to take gcse . I need to mention that I turned 16 in April and I just feel weird . So I was wandering it it would be possible for me to go to a levels from next year instead of y11 gcse

Make a new thread
Read something other day, after British universities. 5 years after a degree, average wage £35000. I earn at least that working in construction a year. Usually about £55000. I have no GCSE'S . Only an NVQ. If you apply yourself can do anything
Original post by snuvisol
I am student from one of the EU countries and I don't have GCSEs. Despite that College in UK allow me to do A-levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I also don't pay for my studies.

Hi!
Could you provide more info on how you are not paying for your studies? I don't have GCSEs either as I am from the EU. I want to get into teaching secondary maths, but the get into teaching people keep telling me without a degree in maths or GCSEs I won't be able to, although other people say it's possible. I am a bit confused. :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest