The Student Room Group

What if my actual results are worse than my mocks?

I did really well in my mocks, getting 4 A*s, 2 Bs and the rest being As. I got them because we had all our mock exams really close together and I basically spent the whole 2 weeks off YouTube and Steam so I could spend the night before each exam going through the revision guide for that exam. I sort of did that for my actual exams but they were further apart and I don't feel like I put myself under the same amount of stress due to the sense of security my mocks gave me. I spent half my time revising and the rest binge watching Once Apon A Time and Community on Netflix. I went into each exam with confidence and didn't feel very out of my depth in any of them but I do worry that I've wasted potential a bit. Anyone here done a similar thing and how did your results turn out in the end?
Reply 1
It'll be fine, you'll still get into your chosen college, they're not hard to get into, at least shouldn't be for you from the sounds of your mocks
Original post by Mr...
If your results are lower than predicted grades/mocks then you're likely to be reject by your choice sixth form depending on the competition/course/school/requirement

Im staying on at the same sixth form as my high school. They like me so I should be allowed in with any results within reason, I'm just more scared of disappointing myself.
Glorious Fellow PCMR brother, I am sure you have done fantastic if you've got those grades in mock, stop worrying! In the meantime relax and pray to our Lord and Saviour Gabe, that we get good grades.
I have the same worry. I did work harder for my real exams but I still am worried my mock results will have been better, which would be so frustrating! We've just got to wait it out I guess :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I did my 1st year AS exams and smashed my mocks comfortably but under real exam-pressure, something which you cannot replicate in mocks/practice I'd say I slightly underperformed. But then again most people would marginally dip under exam-pressure. Hopefully we're all fine :tongue:
Reply 6
There's little point in worrying about it. If I were in your place, I'd worry slightly maybe for a few days. I just got over my exam worry. It took about a week of saying to myself: "it'll be all okay, no one will judge you."

Literally, if you do worse than your mocks, I think you will be the only one that's disappointed (you shouldn't be though). If you're worried about people judging (I usually am), teachers and students won't remember what you got for your mocks, so you're fine.

And finally, if you feel you've wasted potential, it's great you've realised now. GCSEs compared to A levels aren't that important - but still important of course. It's good that you've realised you may need to work harder or differently to make yourself feel better.

It's your life, take control of it and make sure you will be happy with the outcomes.
Reply 7
Original post by Thesockmonster2
I did really well in my mocks, getting 4 A*s, 2 Bs and the rest being As. I got them because we had all our mock exams really close together and I basically spent the whole 2 weeks off YouTube and Steam so I could spend the night before each exam going through the revision guide for that exam. I sort of did that for my actual exams but they were further apart and I don't feel like I put myself under the same amount of stress due to the sense of security my mocks gave me. I spent half my time revising and the rest binge watching Once Apon A Time and Community on Netflix. I went into each exam with confidence and didn't feel very out of my depth in any of them but I do worry that I've wasted potential a bit. Anyone here done a similar thing and how did your results turn out in the end?

Yes oh my word.

We're basically siblings now.
this is what im feeling right now going through my gcses. How did you do in your actual exams? I know this is 8 years ago but still
Original post by seagull11
this is what im feeling right now going through my gcses. How did you do in your actual exams? I know this is 8 years ago but still

Hey, no worries my friend. I did absolutely fine in the real thing - actually did a couple of grades better. It's so funny looking back on this post having been through A levels and University. I was absolutely overthinking it and desperate for reassurance.

If cramming the night before with the help of CGP revision guides worked for you in mocks then it will probably work just as well in the real thing. I also found that praying before, during and after the exam really helped me 😁

My main advice now though is to not go into A levels with that last minute cramming mindset as the content is much more intricate and difficult to grasp without doing the work of learning it properly as you go. To quote Jeff Winger from Community (since I referenced that show in the original post) "The funny thing about being smart is you can get through most of life without ever having to do any work”. This was certainly the case for me with GCSEs in that I found the content easy to understand but just a pain to memorise for the exams. With A levels though it's really important to get WAAY more familiar with each bit of content as you go as everything builds on itself as it goes (e.g. if I'd really taken in at the start of physics that everything is about energy being maintained in a system then it would've seriously helped me). Take time each week to read back over your notes and do all the same memory techniques you're currently only doing a few days before exams - that will help you so much. If I'd done that I think I would have come out with my predicted grades of AAB instead of BBC.
Original post by Thesockmonster2
Hey, no worries my friend. I did absolutely fine in the real thing - actually did a couple of grades better. It's so funny looking back on this post having been through A levels and University. I was absolutely overthinking it and desperate for reassurance.
If cramming the night before with the help of CGP revision guides worked for you in mocks then it will probably work just as well in the real thing. I also found that praying before, during and after the exam really helped me 😁
My main advice now though is to not go into A levels with that last minute cramming mindset as the content is much more intricate and difficult to grasp without doing the work of learning it properly as you go. To quote Jeff Winger from Community (since I referenced that show in the original post) "The funny thing about being smart is you can get through most of life without ever having to do any work”. This was certainly the case for me with GCSEs in that I found the content easy to understand but just a pain to memorise for the exams. With A levels though it's really important to get WAAY more familiar with each bit of content as you go as everything builds on itself as it goes (e.g. if I'd really taken in at the start of physics that everything is about energy being maintained in a system then it would've seriously helped me). Take time each week to read back over your notes and do all the same memory techniques you're currently only doing a few days before exams - that will help you so much. If I'd done that I think I would have come out with my predicted grades of AAB instead of BBC.

Yeah I'm the same right now as you were 8 years ago, got good mock grades but now it's GCSE season and I'm still relaxing like crazy, I thought I would be really stressed around this time but I'm not... I've got French tomorrow and spent about 2 hours revising and the whole rest of the day just going on my phone and YouTube since the morning.
Original post by studyfor9s
Yeah I'm the same right now as you were 8 years ago, got good mock grades but now it's GCSE season and I'm still relaxing like crazy, I thought I would be really stressed around this time but I'm not... I've got French tomorrow and spent about 2 hours revising and the whole rest of the day just going on my phone and YouTube since the morning.

ok this is really funny because that is the exact same thing i did the day before my french gcse on friday. I kept scrolling through reddit and ended up staying awake till 12 trying to memorise all my general convo questions. i feel ive gotten good grades for mocks but i literally did more revision for my mocks than i did for my actual gcses now that theyre here, so i dont know what to feel anymore
Original post by seagull11
ok this is really funny because that is the exact same thing i did the day before my french gcse on friday. I kept scrolling through reddit and ended up staying awake till 12 trying to memorise all my general convo questions. i feel ive gotten good grades for mocks but i literally did more revision for my mocks than i did for my actual gcses now that theyre here, so i dont know what to feel anymore

yh, for my mocks I did very little revision but still got decent grades except for french which I got a 6. i started quite late compared to others for actual gcse revision, i think i started late March or early april, but even then i was procrastinating a lot, which im still doin rn. its half past 12 and i was watching yt on my chromebook before comin on here js to see some stuff, but gcses have been not bad so far despite this. even geography paper 1, which i didnt revise for at all apart from the 1hr i had to revise at home between the chem paper in the morningn and the geog paper, was quite easy apart from the coastal management and river management scheme questions which i js made up lol
Original post by studyfor9s
yh, for my mocks I did very little revision but still got decent grades except for french which I got a 6. i started quite late compared to others for actual gcse revision, i think i started late March or early april, but even then i was procrastinating a lot, which im still doin rn. its half past 12 and i was watching yt on my chromebook before comin on here js to see some stuff, but gcses have been not bad so far despite this. even geography paper 1, which i didnt revise for at all apart from the 1hr i had to revise at home between the chem paper in the morningn and the geog paper, was quite easy apart from the coastal management and river management scheme questions which i js made up lol

By "actual gcse revision" do you mean hours of revision or that this was the first time you've revised since the beginning of year 10? I've only really revised for mock exams and the odd revision here and there but I didnt start properly revising until like halfway through the first week of april. And then I got my mock results and I was happy so I got too overconfident and completely stopped revising in the next two weeks. I mean I still cant bring myself to revise but yeah
Reply 14
i am literally having the same problem right now. i am taking my gcses right now and its the half-term so that means after half-term its paper 2. i used the most of gcses watching youtube or reading manhwa/manga and my friend did the same thing except she watched x0 kitty lol. and during the weekend i watched youtube as well as read manga.

Latest

Trending

Trending