Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
B842 - Cannabis Legalisation Bill 2015, TSR Conservative and Unionist Party
A

B I L L

TO

Decriminalise the production, sale, possession and consumption of Cannabis in the United Kingdom.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Definitions
'Cannabis' refers to all plants of genus Cannabis.

2 Scope of Repeal
(1) Section 6 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 is hereby repealed, and of the same Act;
(2) Section 8(d).
(3) Hence, Cannabis may no longer be treated as a 'Class B' drug by the scope of the Act therein.

3 Sale of Cannabis
(1) Cannabis may not be sold to persons under eighteen years of age, and any person in breach of this is liable to a fine of £2,000.
(2) Cannabis on sale must be clearly marked as containing Cannabis.

4 Licenses For the Sale of Cannabis
(1) No person may sell Cannabis without first obtaining a license, which;
(2) Shall be granted by the Council Licensing Authority.

5 Taxation and Duties on Cannabis
(1) Duties on any imports of Cannabis, including seeds and plants, shall be 77%.
(2) Sales of Cannabis shall be at taxed 50%, not including Value Added Tax.

6 Cultivation of Cannabis
(1) Licenses must also be granted for the cultivation of Cannabis, which;
(2) Shall be granted by the Council Licensing Authority.
(3) Any person(s) in breach of this shall be liable to a fine of £10,000.
(4) Growers of Cannabis may be inspected at any time, and without warning, by the Cannabis Quality Commission.

7 Cannabis Quality Commission
(1) A Cannabis Quality Commission, under the directive of the Home Office, shall be appointed to ensure that all Cannabis produced is of a sufficient quality so as not to be unduly harmful to health.
(2) The Commission shall set minimum standards for the quality of Cannabis

8 Short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Cannabis Legalisation Bill 2015.
(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show

This is an issue that has been debated back and forth, and most are familiar with the arguments. Cannabis has been shown to be no more harmful than smoking cigarettes. It has been found that 40% of teenagers in the UK have smoked, or regularly smoke cannabis, according to the BBC. This is, of course, a significant number, and if we cannot stop people from consuming cannabis, it should instead be controlled and regulated.

Hence;
Section 3 ensures that only physical premises may sell Cannabis; thus, it is easier to obtain, and will effectively kill off demand for the dodgy street dealer who may try to move one on to harder drugs.

Sections 4 and 6 ensure that Cannabis growers must produce Cannabis of quality so as not to damage health, and they may only produce Cannabis (instead of other drugs as well) due to the constant threat of inspection.

Section 7 ensures the quality.

COSTING
Using data from the ONS, tax revenue from this bill is estimated at £4.7 billion (including VAT at 20%). This seems broadly reasonable - the corresponding figure for tobacco is around £12.3 billion p.a. It is not likely that any cannabis shall be imported in leaf form, but in terms of seeds, the revenue is estimated at £135m.

Sources

Misuse of Drugs Act 1971
Controlled Drugs Licensing

username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No. Legalising all of this will increase experimentation, increase consumption, and increase NHS costs associated with treating the people taking the drug; extra costs that will not be covered by any sales tax imposed because people will still go to the black market, or use their existing suppliers who can sell it cheaper.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The third bill to legalise cannabis this term?
N-R-G
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
No. Legalising all of this will increase experimentation, increase consumption, and increase NHS costs associated with treating the people taking the drug; extra costs that will not be covered by any sales tax imposed because people will still go to the black market, or use their existing suppliers who can sell it cheaper.
What NHS costs? Cannabis is medicinal.
GrimSower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am mostly in support of it. However, I think that people should be permitted to grow a small amount of plants (up to four, say?) for personal use without needing a license. Like the way people can brew their own beer, but need a license if they want to sell it.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by N-R-G)
What NHS costs? Cannabis is medicinal.
We both know the majority of cannabis users are using the drug through an addiction, not a medical need. Cannabis-related crime poses a £600m net cost on society, not including the cost of enforcement.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GrimSower)
Nope.
The statistics are against you because decriminalisation increases drug, this has been the case in Portugal. According to a national survey, in 1999 9.4% of young people used Cannabis in Portugal but in 2003, after legalisation, 15.1% of the same age group used Cannabis. Heroin, however, has decreased from 2.% to 1.8% but that increase is not as large as the Cannabis increase, and the average use of all drugs has increased from 12.3% in 1999 to 17.7% in 2003. These figures are not accurate but they do suggest legalisation led to an increase in drug use. In addition to use, crime considered to be strongly linked to drug use rose by 9% between 1999 and 2003 after decriminalisation took place.

There has been an increase in the uptake of drug treatment which confirms my initial point that legalisation increases the public costs of treatment, and there has been a reduction in drug related deaths, however, these deaths are more likely contributed to a general improvement in healthcare across Europe and campaigns encouraging people to seek treatment

In conclusion the information from the neutral report I have found reinforces my views against legalising drugs.
N-R-G
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We both know the majority of cannabis users are using the drug through an addiction, not a medical need. Cannabis-related crime poses a £600m net cost on society, not including the cost of enforcement.
I don't believe cannabis is addictive and the revenue created far exceeds the costs you quote. People enjoy cannabis and should be allowed to do so in peace.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by N-R-G)
I don't believe cannabis is addictive and the revenue created far exceeds the costs you quote. People enjoy cannabis and should be allowed to do so in peace.
With the increase in usage likely being double figures the costs will increase by more than revenue; Portugal has discovered this. Provide me with a counter report using a real life example to prove tax revenue will be greater than societal costs or I will have to stand by the report I have found.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay, the tax is far too high and the black market would continue to thrive.

In addition this makes no provision for lower taxation on medicinal marijuana.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Potheads assemble!

I'm most likely going to abstain.
N-R-G
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://norml.org/library/item/revenu...m-legalization is a good start.

With the increase in usage likely being double figures the costs will increase by more than revenue; Portugal has discovered this. Provide me with a counter report using a real life example to prove tax revenue will be greater than societal costs or I will have to stand by the report I have found.
GrimSower
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The statistics are against you because decriminalisation increases drug, this has been the case in Portugal.
"Cannabis Legalisation Bill 2015"

Your argument is invalid because decriminalisation and legalisation are completely different.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"The state of Colorado made so much money last year ($53m) that they may actually have to give everyone a small rebate (around $10, but the state legislature is scrambling to find a way to hold on to the cash), because the added revenue from marijuana taxes has given the state more money than it predicted." - from http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...o-legalisation

Edited to say - Looks like the Guardian misrepresented the facts somewhat. I shouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:
GrimSower
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by United1892)
Nay, the tax is far too high and the black market would continue to thrive.
Just like is has in Colorado?
It hasn't.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Absolutely aye. I've never been able to see why cannabis isn't legal when it's very easily obtainable and when alcohol and tobacco, which are both more dangerous, are. This will also help in the fight against harder drugs such as heroin and cocaine, because many drug dealers start off supplying people with cannabis and then when they know the person well they persuade them to try other things.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
While I don't support legalization myself its clear from the petition that I'm not going to win this one. Further, since the party has also voted for this, I shan't stand in their way.

As I serve the party membership, I follow the will of the party on this issue.

'Aye'
localblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Portugal's rise in cannabis use is consistent with an overall rise in Western Europe, so the increase in usage due to legislation point is invalid. Counter reports have already been provided by other members.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GrimSower)
Just like is has in Colorado?
It hasn't.
Colorado has a very low tax rate in comparison to this.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise