The Student Room Group

How is GCSE English graded?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how English is marked, and what standard of work is which grade?
So for example what would an example of grade C work be, and grade A. What's the difference between a C and a B, and are English exams more fairly marked my the examiners than your teachers? Or are teachers more soft when marking, and are English examiners really harsh? Thanks :smile: x
All my teachers for all subjects are harsh markers but that was to make us work a lot harder.
Reply 2
Here is a link to a page here you can find exemplar work for Edexcel GCSE English Lit. They have the marks awarded for at the end of the candidate's work and normally give a few pieces of work at different standards. :smile:

With regards t marking, I thunk teacher's are rather harsh. It makes sense for them to mark harsh though. If it's coursework and they are lenient, in moderation they risk being pulled up on it and some exam boards are knows to change everyone's coursework by the same amount they changed the one piece of coursework they moderated. For mocks, it makes sense the mark harsh to not give a false sense of security. In my mocks, the English department just changed the grade boundaries.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest