The Student Room Group

***** Dental Hygiene + Therapy 2016/17 *****

Yoyoyo, anyone applying to uni for dental hygiene + therapy for 2016 intakes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mayramx
Yoyoyo, anyone applying to uni for dental hygiene + therapy for 2016 intakes?

yes hopefully
Reply 2
Yes I am!
Reply 3
Original post by abbeyy29
Yes I am!

Woo! Where have you guys applied for or are going to apply?
I intend to apply to sheffield, essex, newcastle + birmingham - Finding it hard doing personal statements etc, got a looooong way to go :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I've applied for Sheffield. Sent my application this weekend and spent aaaages on it! Good luck with yours!
Oh im going to feel so left out im the only guy. And just a tip watch out for the unis and make sure you check the title of the course because the is a big difference between the diploma and then BSc
Reply 6
I've applied for Sheffield. Sent my application this weekend and spent aaaages on it! Good luck with yours!

I'm still filling the form for Sheffield, its lonngg - hopefully I get it done before this week, well I hope :frown:
What are your backgrounds - are you guys dental nurses or straight from a levels?
Reply 7
Original post by moneymania999
Oh im going to feel so left out im the only guy. And just a tip watch out for the unis and make sure you check the title of the course because the is a big difference between the diploma and then BSc

Yeah BSc is a degree thing and takes 3years - whereas the diplomas usually take 2years and is easy. I think if you have the grades and experience its best to take the BSc - looks good on the CV etc. However their both the same thing etc.
Don't worry we wont bite, I'm sure theres loads of guys applying - although I havent actually meet a male hygienist before - hmmmms how strange :/ :biggrin:
Lol I more want to be a dental therapist and prefer that title.
Original post by Mayramx
Yeah BSc is a degree thing and takes 3years - whereas the diplomas usually take 2years and is easy. I think if you have the grades and experience its best to take the BSc - looks good on the CV etc. However their both the same thing etc.
Don't worry we wont bite, I'm sure theres loads of guys applying - although I havent actually meet a male hygienist before - hmmmms how strange :/ :biggrin:

What? Already sent it. Sorry im confused can you explain what you mean you sent it.
Reply 10
Hi yeah I want to but am unsure what access course to do this year :/
I'm a dental nurse already but I think I'm in need of some more qualification before applying
Oh but how should I apply for this is it through ucas
What? Already sent it. Sorry im confused can you explain what you mean you sent it.

Yes I posted my application, for Sheffield you apply directly to the school of dentistry, not through ucas x
Original post by Mayramx
I'm still filling the form for Sheffield, its lonngg - hopefully I get it done before this week, well I hope :frown:
What are your backgrounds - are you guys dental nurses or straight from a levels?

Yeah it's worth spending plenty of time on it though! :smile: I'm a dental nurse with 5 years experience, sedation nursing, oral health education and overseas volunteer dental work. How about you? X
Oh I think there's some confusion. Im going into year 13 so what are my options?
Reply 15
Yeah it's worth spending plenty of time on it though! :smile: I'm a dental nurse with 5 years experience, sedation nursing, oral health education and overseas volunteer dental work. How about you? X

Yeaah - It'll be worth it in the end - I hope - eek :redface:
Samee - I'm doing dental nursing too - been doing it for 2years now - still doing the course - hoping to do a distance learning alevel in biology or foundation course - hmms.
That's alot of experience youve got Have you got alevels aswell + how was the overseas volunteering? had a look online the other week - seems scary - hmms :tongue:
Reply 16
Oh I think there's some confusion. Im going into year 13 so what are my options?

Year 13 - what options are you taking - don't you apply through ucas and school?
Through alevels you need to have points - i think to get in - hmmmmms :s-smilie:
Original post by Mayramx
Yeaah - It'll be worth it in the end - I hope - eek :redface:
Samee - I'm doing dental nursing too - been doing it for 2years now - still doing the course - hoping to do a distance learning alevel in biology or foundation course - hmms.
That's alot of experience youve got Have you got alevels aswell + how was the overseas volunteering? had a look online the other week - seems scary - hmms :tongue:

Ok, are you doing your alevel/ foundation course before you apply? I have got a levels but they are rubbish so don't count! 😁 yeah I did volunteering with Dentaid, it was an amazing experience and such a good cause. Definitely do it if you get the chance!
Reply 18
Ok, are you doing your alevel/ foundation course before you apply? I have got a levels but they are rubbish so don't count! 😁 yeah I did volunteering with Dentaid, it was an amazing experience and such a good cause. Definitely do it if you get the chance!

Nope - not taking any alevels atm or foundation course :redface:
Course they do - what alevels have you got - every little helps/ counts - like tesco say :colondollar:
What country/place did you go to, to volunteer? How long did you go for>? still wondering, I know I won't get in next year for uni - so will probs do that and alevels - I do know someone who got into uni dhdt course with no alevels etc - just 3years experience of dental nursing :biggrin::colonhash: lo l
Reply 19
Hi, I'm a dental nurse with 13 years experience. I have the dental nurse qualification, dental radiography, GCSE maths and English and I start the access to science course this September. Do you know which Uni's take applications with predicted grades? Most I've looked at say you must have already achieved the grades 😩

Quick Reply

Latest