What should we do about the migrant crisis in Calais?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Views range from giving them all amnesty in the UK to forcefully deporting them or shutting down the Channel Tunnel. What is your view on what we should do?
Ed's Balls
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stop handing out benefits so easily.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Friar Chris, I want to know your opinion on this when you have a chance. :flower2:
Friar Chris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
Friar Chris, I want to know your opinion on this when you have a chance. :flower2:
In a nutshell:

1. Asylum Seekers - genuine ones - are required by the Convention on Human Rights to be offered asylum in the first safe country in which they land or arrive. For all of those in Calais, therefore, it's at least France, if not other countries they've crossed. We do NOT have any legal obligation to take them on.

2. Economic/Social Migrants - have no right to come into the UK more than any other prospective immigrant. It's not our problem they've decided to come to Calais to try and force their way in illegally, when most immigrants have to go through the official application channels and be approved or denied.

3. Causes - the BBC likes to make out this is all people fleeing from IS or instability e.g. in Libya. These camps have been there for years - at least a decade; I remember seeing them once as a child coming through Calais, and I remember the BBC news from years ago. It is not the case that these are all victims of terror or persecution and worthy of asylum; and even if they were all genuine asylum seekers, they should have been processed long ago in the safe country they initially landed in. It's a chronic problem, and yes it damned well is because the UK is seen as a cosy place to live off the taxpayer's expense.

For a very long time, the UK has been renowned as a soft touch when it comes to how actively we find and deport illegal immigrants, as well as how generous we are with those who do get legal immigration status. The UK is seen as an easy way to a comfortable life, and contrary to what certain lefty types insist, we do not have a responsibility to share that with everyone and anyone who wishes to come here. Even watching BBC interviews, the migrants in Calais say they've come across Europe to get into the UK, as they're told it's an easy place to go and be provided for in.

4. Travel - migrants don't apparate to Calais. There are numerous reports, including from migrants themselves, that European countries provide them with free travel onwards in exchange for not settling in their own country. Through Turkey and the Balkans many are given free rail travel through various countries aiming for France, Germany and to Calais to attempt to get to the UK. If you're an EU-federal type who thinks that we're all one country then you probably think this is appropriate, but that means I think you're an imbecile. We have no obligation to share the burdens of mainland Europe, and we shouldn't screw ourselves over by doing so when there is no burden with which we need their assistance in return.

5. Security Arrangements - have been historically, and still are, ridiculously lax. The attempts to up-regulate security on lorries entering the UK got some new kit, but if you read what the local police and crime commissioners around Folkestone have been saying, huge numbers still get through almost totally unhindered and only a part are later noticed by police, often getting out of goods vehicles inland at motorway service stations where the lorry drivers have stopped. It's half-assed, and it needs completely taking over and a comprehensive procedure put in place for total security screening.

6. Calais itself - It's pretty obvious with the French neither deporting them nor granting asylum to those genuinely in need, that the French are simply happy to try and pass off responsibility for these people, just like those in the chain of countries through which they've already travelled. The camps need clearing - by the Calais and French authorities, and their requests for asylum properly processed, or else deported back either to the country in which they first landed for asylum, or back to their country of origin if they are not assessed to be in genuine need of asylum.

Hell, that's generous considering it'd have to be paid transport for them, and if there's anything the UK should do it's to subsidise these processing costs for the French government to help incentivise them actually processing these migrants properly.
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Friar Chris)
In a nutshell:

1. Asylum Seekers - genuine ones - are required by the Convention on Human Rights to be offered asylum in the first safe country in which they land or arrive. For all of those in Calais, therefore, it's at least France, if not other countries they've crossed. We do NOT have any legal obligation to take them on.

2. Economic/Social Migrants - have no right to come into the UK more than any other prospective immigrant. It's not our problem they've decided to come to Calais to try and force their way in illegally, when most immigrants have to go through the official application channels and be approved or denied.

3. Causes - the BBC likes to make out this is all people fleeing from IS or instability e.g. in Libya. These camps have been there for years - at least a decade; I remember seeing them once as a child coming through Calais, and I remember the BBC news from years ago. It is not the case that these are all victims of terror or persecution and worthy of asylum; and even if they were all genuine asylum seekers, they should have been processed long ago in the safe country they initially landed in. It's a chronic problem, and yes it damned well is because the UK is seen as a cosy place to live off the taxpayer's expense.

For a very long time, the UK has been renowned as a soft touch when it comes to how actively we find and deport illegal immigrants, as well as how generous we are with those who do get legal immigration status. The UK is seen as an easy way to a comfortable life, and contrary to what certain lefty types insist, we do not have a responsibility to share that with everyone and anyone who wishes to come here. Even watching BBC interviews, the migrants in Calais say they've come across Europe to get into the UK, as they're told it's an easy place to go and be provided for in.

4. Travel - migrants don't apparate to Calais. There are numerous reports, including from migrants themselves, that European countries provide them with free travel onwards in exchange for not settling in their own country. Through Turkey and the Balkans many are given free rail travel through various countries aiming for France, Germany and to Calais to attempt to get to the UK. If you're an EU-federal type who thinks that we're all one country then you probably think this is appropriate, but that means I think you're an imbecile. We have no obligation to share the burdens of mainland Europe, and we shouldn't screw ourselves over by doing so when there is no burden with which we need their assistance in return.

5. Security Arrangements - have been historically, and still are, ridiculously lax. The attempts to up-regulate security on lorries entering the UK got some new kit, but if you read what the local police and crime commissioners around Folkestone have been saying, huge numbers still get through almost totally unhindered and only a part are later noticed by police, often getting out of goods vehicles inland at motorway service stations where the lorry drivers have stopped. It's half-assed, and it needs completely taking over and a comprehensive procedure put in place for total security screening.

6. Calais itself - It's pretty obvious with the French neither deporting them nor granting asylum to those genuinely in need, that the French are simply happy to try and pass off responsibility for these people, just like those in the chain of countries through which they've already travelled. The camps need clearing - by the Calais and French authorities, and their requests for asylum properly processed, or else deported back either to the country in which they first landed for asylum, or back to their country of origin if they are not assessed to be in genuine need of asylum.

Hell, that's generous considering it'd have to be paid transport for them, and if there's anything the UK should do it's to subsidise these processing costs for the French government to help incentivise them actually processing these migrants properly.
Corr, what an answer:sogood:
Friar Chris
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
Corr, what an answer:sogood:
I'm sorry if that excited you a little :pierre:
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
I'm sorry if that excited you a little :pierre:
I just wasn't expecting it to be so big! :pierre:
The two eds
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there are a number of things. Firstly Europe should stop accepting illegals into the EU and giving them access to travel around Europe without ID. The Italians and Greeks have on a number of occasions handed temporary visas giving migrants access to travel around continental Europe.

We must accept these migrants in Calais are illegal and should be deported right away.

The camp should be destroyed, it's only attracting more people.

The army should be regulating the Euro tunnel and inspecting vehicles more thoroughly.

Britain should immediately remove all rights for migrants to claim benefits upon entering the UK

The EU needs to invest in a large scale detainment centre and prison to hold these people

The French need to grow a pair and insert authority on these ravages. After the terror attacks they had around 90,000 officers and army personnel on the ground. They could easily send a few thousand to clear the mess in Calais

Any illegal found in the UK needs to be immediately arrested and deported

Finally we need a god damn PM and government with a spine to actually sort out this swarm
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The immigrants are just criminals causing lots of damage to the economy. Nobody can just force their way into another country without doing it legally and being a migrant doesn't justify what they are doing regardless of claims saying they are all fleeing persecution etc
demx9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The two eds)
We must accept these migrants in Calais are illegal and should be deported right away.
deport where ? most of them destroy their documents so its impossible to know where they came from
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by demx9)
deport where ? most of them destroy their documents so its impossible to know where they came from
To Iraq or Syria
demx9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To Iraq or Syria
what do you think of this video?

honeyglazer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm more than happy for there two be a new tier for low-skilled factory work. We import way too much and we have the knowledge and technology to manufacture except no one in this country likes to do hardcore manual labour.

I think its a good idea if we set up a new economic zone in Calais where more of our goods can be manufactured instead of being shipped it 5/6 different countries in the global manufacturing chains. These people wouldn't mind being paid £1 per hour if it meant they would be safe and can work/send the money back home. I am completely opposed to any of them being let in to the UK although most lorry drivers who pass through calais are earning quite a holiday pay transporting them.

We, in the UK should go after the money of the criminal gangs that transport the thousands daily and then reuse the capital gained in the process to go after other illegal industries such as sex trafficking, drugs, weapons transport etc. It would be great if some people with brains replaced the clearly coked up leaders of the police/government.We need to export more and IT would be a win-win-win situation.
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by demx9)
what do you think of this video?

I don't know, just looks like a bunch of nutters
honeyglazer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there are a number of things. Firstly Europe should stop accepting illegals into the EU and giving them access to travel around Europe without ID. The Italians and Greeks have on a number of occasions handed temporary visas giving migrants access to travel around continental Europe.

The camp should be destroyed, it's only attracting more people.

The army should be regulating the Euro tunnel and inspecting vehicles more thoroughly.

Britain should immediately remove all rights for migrants to claim benefits upon entering the UK

The EU needs to invest in a large scale detainment centre and prison to hold these people

The French need to grow a pair and insert authority on these ravages. After the terror attacks they had around 90,000 officers and army personnel on the ground. They could easily send a few thousand to clear the mess in Calais

Any illegal found in the UK needs to be immediately arrested and deported

Finally we need a god damn PM and government with a spine to actually sort out this swarm
The Dutch have a rule of you must pay in before you take. I believe however that this applies to all people including dutch citizens. I guess we would have too many people who never contribute about their human rights being taken away.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well don't look at me, I'm not gonna drive to Calais and put myself in the path of some crazed illegal on the road to freedom
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For a very long time, the UK has been renowned as a soft touch when it comes to how actively we find and deport illegal immigrants, as well as how generous we are with those who do get legal immigration status. The UK is seen as an easy way to a comfortable life, and contrary to what certain lefty types insist, we do not have a responsibility to share that with everyone and anyone who wishes to come here.
I'm pretty left-wing on most issues yet agree that this is a salient point.
AndyChow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
putting electricity on the eurostar fences, this will discourage any migrants, of course the human rights groups would go bonkers and cry so not a good option.

On a serious note, UK is a country that promotes humanitarianism and generosity, this has been exploited and backfired on itself. All we can do is set up checkpoints and preventing them enter the tunnel, once they're through nothing you can do as UK sticks to human rights law so much
Whydididothis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
BY AWESOMEPERSON7, 9 DAYS AGOGirl- Do you think I’m pretty?Boy- NOGirl- Do you want to be with me forever?Boy- NOGirl- Do you even like me?Boy- NOGirl- Would you cry if I walked away?Boy- NOshe heard enough and walked awayhe grabbed her armBoy- Your not pretty…. your beautifulI don’t want to be with you forever……. I need to be with you foreverI don’t like you….. I love youI wouldn’t cry if you walked away… I would die if you walked awayBoy- Please stay with meGirl- I willtonight at midnight your true love will realize he loves yousomething good will happen to you @ 1-4 p.m.tomorrow it could be anywhere!!!!!get ready for the shock of your life!If you don’t post this on 5 other comments.. you will have bad luck in love for the next 10 yearBad Words!
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Views range from giving them all amnesty in the UK to forcefully deporting them or shutting down the Channel Tunnel. What is your view on what we should do?
demx9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know, just looks like a bunch of nutters
the point is we should be much more worried of corporations taking away power from our democracies than poor immigrants seeking a better home
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads