The Student Room Group

Rejected for access to HE?

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys. I'm starting my access level 2 next week and I'm 26. I know, cos being seemed "old" by teenagers is rather devastating, how it may seem scary at first being a mature student but like what was said in a prior post being 20 something means you'll be at the younger spectrum.

I'm doing psychology set with gcse maths and English.

I would rather spend am extra 12 months at college and get a better grade than rush my studies and maybe, fail or not achieve my goals. This is my opinion anyway.
First of all, sorry to hear that you've been rejected for an Access course! I know the feeling inside and out. I applied to do an Access to Nursing (at the time, that was my ambition) however I got rejected for not meeting their entry requirements and I also did not pass the maths assessment :frown:

I did not give up. When I heard about rejection, I came straight onto here for comfort (typical me) and somebody suggested Distance Learning Centre, which is an Access to HE provider and has no entry requirements but they DO recommend certain qualifications if you want to do a degree within the specified area (such as Social Work). They do IGCSE, GCSE and Equivalents.

The only downside is that they do not accept the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan, so you would have to fund the course yourself. You can pay it in one lump sum, or you can pay it in instalments. For me, I paid around £60 per month.

Failing that, you can try and look for Foundation courses, look at access courses with the OU or enquire about a pre-access programme, which SFE may fund for you. Best of luck with it all! Do not give up. You will get there! Be determined :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by sawyer12
btecs require 5 gcses, and the closest one is sheffield (70 odd miles away?)

i was rejected from the course even though i have maths and english
Reply 43
Original post by butterfly92xo
first of all, sorry to hear that you've been rejected for an access course! I know the feeling inside and out. I applied to do an access to nursing (at the time, that was my ambition) however i got rejected for not meeting their entry requirements and i also did not pass the maths assessment :frown:
i did not give up. When i heard about rejection, i came straight onto here for comfort (typical me) and somebody suggested distance learning centre, which is an access to he provider and has no entry requirements but they do recommend certain qualifications if you want to do a degree within the specified area (such as social work). They do igcse, gcse and equivalents.
The only downside is that they do not accept the 24+ advanced learning loan, so you would have to fund the course yourself. You can pay it in one lump sum, or you can pay it in instalments. For me, i paid around £60 per month.
Failing that, you can try and look for foundation courses, look at access courses with the ou or enquire about a pre-access programme, which sfe may fund for you. Best of luck with it all! Do not give up. You will get there! Be determined :smile:

hi yrs i m 53 but i was really keen to do it at the time itwas science and higher education and access course they refused me on all level2 full time classes i have maths and english is it my age

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending