The Student Room Group

Am I entitled to minimum age on internship?

Hi,

I recently started an internship for the summer before I go back to university in September and begin my final year.

It's a paid internship and I am working on real projects/completing work for real clients and is full time (Mon-Fri 8 hours a day). I haven't been told my wage and I haven't asked (I don't want to come across wrong - I'm grateful for the experience), although I received my first payment a couple weeks ago I'm not sure if it was for the two weeks I was employed for at the end of June or if it was a months pay as I happened to receive it in my 4th week of employment (although they were sorting my pay out well before this so I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or if it's actually a months pay).

For the hours I completed in a month, judging by my last payment it'd mean the pay is well below minimum wage for my age (I'm 20). It'd mean my wage is around £3 when it should be £5.13 minimum. I only received that first pay two weeks ago, so I'm not sure if I'm being paid at the end of each month or the end of MY month (so in two weeks time).

Payday was yesterday and I haven't received anything so now I'm afraid that I will be paid in two weeks time and it will be the same as my last payment which was well below minimum wage.

So am I entitled to the national minimum wage? Is it possible I'm on the apprentice minimum wage (eventhough it's not an apprenticeship)?

I have read the articles on the government website regarding interns (here) and it looks as if I'm entitled to minimum wage although it does say that student internships aren't entitled to minimum wage - this internship isn't part of my course so I don't think this applies to me?

If anyone could clear this up for me I would appreciate it,

Cheers
Don't think so, they usually tell you before you start. I've been looking at internships recently and I'm certainly I've seen several that state they don't pay a wage as such, but would give stripends to cover your living costs such as food and accommodation, but isn't pay. These are more for student internships. Like you say I would suspect that a graduate internship cannot work in a similar way.

That said, might be worth inquiring further. I'm not 100% certain.

Lots of overseas internships will work like this since it essentially allows you to work for them without needing to get a working visa, you can apply for an educational one instead.
So the matter of you being paid or how much should have been in your contract. But, if you really don't know, I think you should just talk to your employer. It shouldn't make you come across "wrong" if you're serious and careful about the discussion rather than just demanding more money. Just explain that you aren't clear how much time your pay check covered (2 or 4 weeks, though again is this not on the wage slip?) because if it's for all of your time then it would seem that you're being paid less than minimum wage, which isn't really legal. Your internship isn't a part of your course so it seems you are entitled to minimum wage. Approach your employer with an aim to discuss or enquire about your wage slip, not challenge and debate it. You should get a clear answer.
Reply 3
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Don't think so, they usually tell you before you start. I've been looking at internships recently and I'm certainly I've seen several that state they don't pay a wage as such, but would give stripends to cover your living costs such as food and accommodation, but isn't pay. These are more for student internships. Like you say I would suspect that a graduate internship cannot work in a similar way.

That said, might be worth inquiring further. I'm not 100% certain.

Lots of overseas internships will work like this since it essentially allows you to work for them without needing to get a working visa, you can apply for an educational one instead.

This internship was advertised as paid though and I also received a payment two weeks ago (of which I'm not clear if it was for two weeks or 4). It's also not a student internship and is advertised as full time work Mon-Fri (40 hours a week/160 a month).

Original post by sliceofcake
So the matter of you being paid or how much should have been in your contract. But, if you really don't know, I think you should just talk to your employer. It shouldn't make you come across "wrong" if you're serious and careful about the discussion rather than just demanding more money. Just explain that you aren't clear how much time your pay check covered (2 or 4 weeks, though again is this not on the wage slip?) because if it's for all of your time then it would seem that you're being paid less than minimum wage, which isn't really legal. Your internship isn't a part of your course so it seems you are entitled to minimum wage. Approach your employer with an aim to discuss or enquire about your wage slip, not challenge and debate it. You should get a clear answer.

I didn't receive a wage slip, I assumed the reason for this was because it was midway through the month and I would receive a wage slip when my pay for the month comes. I will talk to them tomorrow and just ask for some clarity on the subject as I really need to know whats coming into my bank as I'm back at uni next month so I need to keep on top of my finances. I'm pretty sure now that I am entitled to minimum wage after reading more on the subject online. It's a little confusing when it comes to internships though.

Thanks for your replies!
Original post by JayElDee
Hi,

I recently started an internship for the summer before I go back to university in September and begin my final year.

It's a paid internship and I am working on real projects/completing work for real clients and is full time (Mon-Fri 8 hours a day). I haven't been told my wage and I haven't asked (I don't want to come across wrong - I'm grateful for the experience), although I received my first payment a couple weeks ago I'm not sure if it was for the two weeks I was employed for at the end of June or if it was a months pay as I happened to receive it in my 4th week of employment (although they were sorting my pay out well before this so I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or if it's actually a months pay).

For the hours I completed in a month, judging by my last payment it'd mean the pay is well below minimum wage for my age (I'm 20). It'd mean my wage is around £3 when it should be £5.13 minimum. I only received that first pay two weeks ago, so I'm not sure if I'm being paid at the end of each month or the end of MY month (so in two weeks time).

Payday was yesterday and I haven't received anything so now I'm afraid that I will be paid in two weeks time and it will be the same as my last payment which was well below minimum wage.

So am I entitled to the national minimum wage? Is it possible I'm on the apprentice minimum wage (eventhough it's not an apprenticeship)?

I have read the articles on the government website regarding interns (here) and it looks as if I'm entitled to minimum wage although it does say that student internships aren't entitled to minimum wage - this internship isn't part of my course so I don't think this applies to me?

If anyone could clear this up for me I would appreciate it,

Cheers

If its not a charity, your placement is longer than two weeks and you are doing real work then yes you are entitled to at least the minimum wage regardless of whether its an 'internship' or not. However some companies do still try and pull a fast one getting interns to work for free as they figure people will be too desperate for the experience to complain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending