Should ICT be the new maths? Watch

Shamoo28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Now we all know maths is a compulsory subject till we're 16 (for most) because it's used everywhere

But ICT is becoming inevitable as well, now that we're more exposed to technology... So do you feel that ICT should be introduced as a compulsory subject?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes.
Iqbal007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Shamoo28)
Now we all know maths is a compulsory subject till we're 16 (for most) because it's used everywhere

But ICT is becoming inevitable as well, now that we're more exposed to technology... So do you feel that ICT should be introduced as a compulsory subject?
No, I remember doing ICT through secondary school.......isn't exactly hard is it, just learning how to use Microsoft office and some other stuff.

ICT is too basic in my opinion, something you learn by using a computer by yourself and can be learned when using computers via other subjects easily.
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
No, I remember doing ICT through secondary school.......isn't exactly hard is it, just learning how use Microsoft issue and some other stuff.

ICT is too basic in my opinion, something you learn by using a computer by yourself and can be learned when using computers via other subjects easily.
Technology is also quickly developing, surely teaching kids how to use basic software, or even a more complicated application at a high level would be beneficial in the long run, no?
spurs9393
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No. Technology develops so quickly that the software you would be taught at the age of 15, will surely be different to the software being used around five to ten years later when you enter employment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
Technology is also quickly developing, surely teaching kids how to use basic software, or even a more complicated application at a high level would be beneficial in the long run, no?
I knew how to use things like word, powerpoint and publisher from primary school as I had been exposed to it.....it was only until secondary I was exposed to Excel, and obviously I learnt how to do more with the others.

However, I'll be honest I learnt through some silly ICT lessons like making a game using the powerpoint, which is so meaningless. I prefer the learning of such software to be done in a proper applied manner. So for example in Maths we would have to create charts, etc using Excel which is a far better way to learn it. Computer usage is already incorporated into normal classes there is no need to expand it. Or in other classes we would have to create clear and presentable powerpoints which is far more beneficial.

The next issue is the use of software like Photoshop, dreamweaver, etc again didn't think much of it, I wasn't going into graphics or designing.

However, all that said ICT teaches you the very basic and barely expands on the usage/functionality of Office , not that long ago I had to sit a bunch of tests involving word and excel run by Fastpath ISV which are used by some firms to test potential employees. I did do well in the basic test, but if a GCSE kid did it he would've gotten below 50% and pprobably even lower, I got close to 70% on the intermediate. Thats the difference in real world usage versus what they teach you.
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ICT in secondary school was a joke. It's nothing like what computing is. I've learnt more about computing outside of school than I did inside. I'm thinking of starting to learn to code in my spare time to boot.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
I knew how to use things like word, powerpoint and publisher from primary school as I had been exposed to it.....it was only until secondary I was exposed to Excel, and obviously I learnt how to do more with the others.

However, I'll be honest I learnt through some silly ICT lessons like making a game using the powerpoint, which is so meaningless. I prefer the learning of such software to be done in a proper applied manner. So for example in Maths we would have to create charts, etc using Excel which is a far better way to learn it. Computer usage is already incorporated into normal classes there is no need to expand it. Or in other classes we would have to create clear and presentable powerpoints which is far more beneficial.

The next issue is the use of software like Photoshop, dreamweaver, etc again didn't think much of it, I wasn't going into graphics or designing.

However, all that said ICT teaches you the very basic and barely expands on the usage/functionality of Office , not that long ago I had to sit a bunch of tests involving word and excel run by Fastpath ISV which are used by some firms to test potential employees. I did do well in the basic test, but if a GCSE kid did it he would've gotten below 50% and pprobably even lower, I got close to 70% on the intermediate. Thats the difference in real world usage versus what they teach you.
So this is an argument to improve the teaching of ICT in school then, not an argument to diminish it.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by offhegoes)
So this is an argument to improve the teaching of ICT in school then, not an argument to diminish it.
Yes improve it, make it useful...however it does not need to become compulsory as the current stuff taught are things any child learns on his own when they start playing with computers, when they have to do assignments, computer sessions in other subjects, etc.
ivybridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I learnt how to use technology myself - you really don't need a class in ICT you just grow up using the stuff and that''s how you learn.
username1551801
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not everybody uses computers often enough to benefit from making ICT a compulsory subject.
If you seek to learn about computers, there are plenty of basic books you pick up at shops to teach you, learning the basics of how to use your computer and applications isn't difficult if you're interested. The complicated stuff however, you need to be passionate about, but they aren't tasks that an average person will encounter.
RyJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Programming/Software Development, like languages (and I also think this should be taken more seriously; British people are too lazy) should become compulsory from a young age.
PeterTheHe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No. Maths is the basis of Computer Science and IT - without a strong mathematical foundation you really can't get far in the fields.Technology is changing so much so quickly and a lot of the knowledge taught in ICT (and, to an extent, computer science) becomes outdated. I have family friends who took Computer Science degrees from some of the World's the top universities during the 80s and 90s who acknowledge this.

ICT was taught in my school throughout Year 7, teaching us the basics of Powerpoint, Word etc. These helped us with our homework assignments and I'm grateful to them. Making it the "new maths", however, is simply a waste of time. You can mess with floats, ints and chars all you want but at the end of the day, if you need to process, say, an incoming signal and don't know how to do a DFT, you're kinda screwed.
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
No.
I think Computing/Computer Science should replace ICT and become compulsory.
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From year 7-9, i never liked/enjoyed ICT and thought it was sort of pointless because anyone can self teach how to use a powerpoint, publisher etc.

Looking back, ICT GCSE is a bit different than i thought it would be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.07%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.2%

Watched Threads