Has anyone here ever volunteered for Macmillan Cancer Support?

Watch
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I'm interested in doing some volunteering for cancer related organisations, and so I have become interested in possibly volunteering for MacMillan.

I'm looking at some of the local volunteering opportunities in my area (Belfast) on their website, some of which include MacMillan community helper and MacMillan library information volunteer.

The website gives details for both:

MacMillan community helper
Macmillan is setting up new volunteer-led schemes to give practical help at home to people affected by cancer. Are you friendly, reliable and willing to lend a hand? If so we'd love to hear from you. Join us to make sure no-one faces cancer alone.

MacMillan library information volunteer
Macmillan Cancer Support has developed a partnership with Libraries NI to set up cancer information points in libraries across Northern Ireland. The aim of the partnership is to provide information to people affected by cancer and the general public within their local community.

Opportunities are available across Northern Ireland to maintain the information points and order and manage the available information resources.

This is a new and exciting opportunity to improve access to cancer information and we’d love you to be a part of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone ever volunteered for MacMillan know what both of these roles include? Is a community helper somebody who works specifically in a care home or is it to visit people affected with cancer in communities in their homes?

Likewise with the library, is it in affect a librarian organising and sorting books out etc?

Any help would be appreciated thanks. Websites just a bit vague.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (112)
4.99%
Uncertainty around my education (337)
15.02%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (242)
10.79%
Lack of purpose or motivation (314)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (103)
4.59%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (129)
5.75%
Loneliness (193)
8.6%
Financial worries (86)
3.83%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (94)
4.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (106)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (120)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (196)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (211)
9.41%

Watched Threads