Will studying A Levels and a BTEC L3 be too much.

Watch
Just_Another_One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Before I get to it, I know when it comes down to it, it is the me at the end to the day, never the less.)

Okay, so, I was initially just going to study BTEC L3 IT and move on to a HND after. However, I thought it would be sensible to have some A - Level, just in case this whole L3 doesn't turn out well.

A Level options:
English Language+Literature
Government and Politics (or Law, still deciding. I know law is more respected)
Retake Maths GCSE (I hope I get a C, but I think I got a D)
And OCR L3 IT

Now I would study computing, BUT that requires a B in maths GCSE, if I could study that, I wouldn't be doing this BTEC L3.

I mean, having to keep studying GCSE maths is already going to put unnecessary weight on to me.

Oh, well, this really is more of my problem and a career adviser; I guess I have my own answer already. But I suppose I just want your opinion.
mjrd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Just_Another_One)
(Before I get to it, I know when it comes down to it, it is the me at the end to the day, never the less.)

Okay, so, I was initially just going to study BTEC L3 IT and move on to a HND after. However, I thought it would be sensible to have some A - Level, just in case this whole L3 doesn't turn out well.

A Level options:
English Language+Literature
Government and Politics (or Law, still deciding. I know law is more respected)
Retake Maths GCSE (I hope I get a C, but I think I got a D)
And OCR L3 IT

Now I would study computing, BUT that requires a B in maths GCSE, if I could study that, I wouldn't be doing this BTEC L3.

I mean, having to keep studying GCSE maths is already going to put unnecessary weight on to me.

Oh, well, this really is more of my problem and a career adviser; I guess I have my own answer already. But I suppose I just want your opinion.

Firstly check out the colls near u. My coll wont let you do L3 and A levels or i would have done same. Also my coll wanted only a C in maths for computers A level but ict gcse for A level ict. The coll in my next town wanted a B in maths for computers and no previous ict for A level ict. All colls seem to be diff so check 1s in your area out. Also you might be lucky, i have maths dyslexia and left 4 pages of maths out and still got a C yipeeee!
Just_Another_One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well ok, thanks bro.
(Original post by mjrd)
Firstly check out the colls near u. My coll wont let you do L3 and A levels or i would have done same. Also my coll wanted only a C in maths for computers A level but ict gcse for A level ict. The coll in my next town wanted a B in maths for computers and no previous ict for A level ict. All colls seem to be diff so check 1s in your area out. Also you might be lucky, i have maths dyslexia and left 4 pages of maths out and still got a C yipeeee!
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have done both A levels and a L3 in the past.
The best idea would probably to find out for definite what it is you would like to do and just do that. If you make a mistake, you can always always change and add a year.
I would say that a L3 course and an A level is tenable, but I don't think that any more than that would be.
If you do too much, then you risk doing poorly or not as well as would do otherwise if you did fewer. When applying to uni, it seems they often take into consideration just 3 A levels, or the L3 and an extra A level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads