This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
VA112 - MHoL Amendment (Second Reading)

Proposed by Rt. Hon. PetrosAC (Liberal)

Seconded by: the Rt. Hon. JoeL1994 MP (UKIP), the Rt. Hon. Kittiara MP (Green), the Rt. Hon. Airmed MP (Liberal), the Rt. Hon. Adam9317 MP (UKIP), the Rt. Hon. RayApparently MP (Labour), the Hon. thehistorybore MP (Conservative)

This amendment will amend the constitution to outline the existence of a Model House of Lords, and the details added in the Guidance Document

In the Constitution;

Amend the title of section 13 from "Crisis Committee" to "Model House of Lords", and alter the text from:
"1) Will be a committee of at least 1 member*of each party, exceptions explained in the Guidance Document.
2) Activity will be organised in accordance with the Guidance Document."

to

"1) The Model House of Lords will consist of 2 appointed members from each party, the Lord Speaker and the Deputy Lord Speaker, who will be elected from and by the other peers.
2) Activity will be organised in accordance with the Guidance Document."

In the Guidance Document;

Section 16 (Crisis Committee) of the Guidance is hereby removed and replaced with:

(1) The MHoL will comprise of the following:
(1.1) The Lord Speaker and Deputy Lord Speaker
(1.2) 2 appointed members from each party
(1.3) There will be a total of 13 members

(2) The Deputy Speaker of the Commons will become the Lord Speaker
(2.1) The Lord Speaker will remain Deputy Speaker of the Commons
(2.2) The Lord Speaker has the following responsibilities:
(2.2.1) Overseeing the House of Lords as a forum assistant and ruling where the constitution doesn't specify a cause of action.
(2.2.2) Being group leader of the Peer usergroup and admitting in new peers.
(2.2.3) Organising the debate and voting on bills and motions.
(2.2.4) Running Deputy Lord Speakership elections
(2.2.5) Enforcing the Constitution

(3) Any peer can stand to become Deputy Lord Speaker
(3.1) Only peers can vote in the Deputy Lord Speaker elections.
(3.2) The election will be carried out by the Lord Speaker in the following time frame:

Day 1: The election is announced. Window for manifestos is open. Manifestos must not exceed 250 words with all manifestos being PMed to the Lord Speaker
Day 4: A Q&A thread is opened with each manifesto displayed
Day 7: Round 1 of voting begins.
Day 10: Voting concludes. The winning candidate must have 1 more vote than the second placed candidate. If this is not the case, the process*to elect a Deputy Lord Speaker will repeat, with only the candidates with the joint highest votes being allowed to enter.

(4) When the Speaker of the Commons is away, the Lord Speaker will fill in for the Speaker of the Commons whilst the Deputy Lord Speaker will fill in for the Lord Speaker.

(5) Peers can delay legislation for up to 7 days, if they have proposed an amendment which the House of Commons does not accept.

(6) Peers cannot veto any legislation.

(7) Peers will only vote on final readings of any legislation from the Commons
(7.1) Here they can allow the piece of legislation to pass or suggest amendments to it
(7.2) There will be 4 days of debate and amendment proposals, before 3 days of voting
(7.3) The Commons can bypass the Lords if a piece of legislation passes with a two-thirds majority
(7.4) Budgets from the Treasury bypass the Lords

(8) Peers can submit their own legislation, which will run under the same conditions as pieces of legislation from the Commons but will have to pass through both chambers.

(9) If a Peer wishes to amend part of the constitution or guidance document only relating to the Lords, this can be done so via a vote in the House of Lords - The Commons will not vote on these amendments.

(10) One life peer will be elected at the end of every term.
(10.1) Former Speakers, Deputy Speakers and Ministers with responsibility for a Great Office of State can be considered for a Life Peerage as long as they have been an MP, Party Leader, Deputy Party Leader, Party Chair or Party Commissar for 12 months in total (this does not have to be consecutive).
(10.1.1) They do not need to have been in just one position for 12 months.
(10.2) Members can be put up for election by being nominated by other members. They will be contacted by the Lord Speaker to either accept or decline the nomination
(10.3) Only MPs and Peers may vote in Life Peerage elections
(10.4) The election time table for a Life Peerage is as follows:

Day 1 - Nominations are sent to the Lord Speaker
Day 4 - Nomination period closes, voting begins
Day 10 - Voting closes. The candidate with the highest number of votes becomes a Life Peer

(10.5) Retiring Speakers can automatically become a Life Peer when they leave office should they choose to.
(10.6) Clause 10.5 is void if the member in question is removed by Vote of No Confidence or is removed against their will.
(10.7) After a term has been served, Life Peers will be subject to a voting review by the Lord Speaker, every 3 months.
(10.7.1) If a peer has a voting record of less than 80%, they will be at risk of losing their peerage
(10.7.2) A peer will be given 6 weeks to get their voting record over 80%. If they do not, they will lose their peerage.

(11) The Crisis Committee will be retained within the House of Lords
(11.1) Each appointed peer will have a vote on the crisis committee
(11.2) If any votes are tied on the Crisis Committee, the Lord Speaker will have the deciding vote.
(11.3) The Crisis Committee will be expected to come up with 5 realistic hypothetical scenarios per term, which will be put to the House of Commons by the Lord Speaker.
(11.4) The Crisis Committee will be able to highlight*and ask for solutions to as many real life scenarios as they like.

(12) One peer from each party can also serve as an MP
(12.1) The peer that isn’t an MP may not proxy for an MP

(13) A new forum will be created, entitled "Model House of Lords"
(13.1) Within this forum, two sub forums will be created, entitled "Crisis Committee", where all scenarios are discussed, and "Division Lobby", where peers can vote on legislation and Crisis Committee scenarios.
(13.2) A new usergroup will be created entitled “Peer”

(14) There will be a vote in the last week of the 22nd Parliament to either retain or remove the House of Lords.
(14.1) The vote shall run as a usual amendment with the options “Retain”, “Remove” and “Abstain”
(14.2) If there are more votes to retain the House of Lords than to remove the House of Lords, Section 14 of this document will be removed.
(14.3) If there are more votes to remove the House of Lords than to retain the ‘House of Lords, Section 13 of the Constitution and Section 16 of the Guidance Document will be repealed.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A strong nay from me.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Birchington should IAS or stannis be included as seconders seeing as both are banned & non-mp's now?
Birchington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
Birchington should IAS or stannis be included as seconders seeing as both are banned & non-mp's now?
I will be happy to remove both seconders with the permission of the amendment's author.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've decided on a nay.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On behalf of Petros:

There have been chamges since this has gone to vote as the First reading was accidentally put up rather than the Second. Please take note of the addition of Section 14 - Petros
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To paraphrase Ed Miliband.......hell nay.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Birchington

Mr Speaker, as a matter of procedure is it possible for the GD part of this amendment to pass and the Constitutional section to fail?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it would have been a nice courtesy to forewarn seconders that this was going to go to vote, but whatever.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Birchington

Mr Speaker, as a matter of procedure is it possible for the GD part of this amendment to pass and the Constitutional section to fail?
President (the presidential amendment from last term to be precise) states no, they both need to pass or both fail
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
President (the presidential amendment from last term to be precise) states no, they both need to pass or both fail
Ah yes, I remember that now.
Birchington
Rep:
?
(Original post by RayApparently)
Birchington

Aph is correct. Both must pass or fail at the same time.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is one of the most significant amendments this place has seen, but it's a no from me.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anything containing the words 'Model House of Lords' will always be met with a 'Nay' from me.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
This is one of the most significant amendments this place has seen, but it's a no from me.
There have been many MHOL amendments... I wouldn't say it's significant.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
There have been many MHOL amendments... I wouldn't say it's significant.
If it passes it is.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Ayes to the right: 21
Noes to the left: 21
Abstain: 1

The Noes have it! The Noes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 86%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (262)
58.88%
No (150)
33.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise