Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Universe.

How do you think it came to exsist.
    Do you believe in God?
    Is it really so impossible to have life elsewhere in this most impressively sized area. Is it a massive sized area or rather a loop. Whats going on do you think in your opinion.

Issues on the speed of light possibly?

2 questions I challenge my elders are;

If you travel faster or as fast as the speed of ligth that you actually go back in time or slow down if you took off in a space ship at the speed of light and went around the earth back to your take off point would you actually of gone back in time and see yourself take off?

Also if 2 trains have a head on collision both going 100mph. The Combined Collision Speed would be 200mph. So if a space craft travelling at 3/4 the speef of light colides with another vessel traveling at an equal speed head on would make the combined speed 1.5 the speed of light. Where as Einsteins thoery states you simply cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

Also take into account that only a few decades ago they thoguht that you could not travel faster than 30mph without dying.

I dont know a lot about this sort of thing. But im learning. So i look forward to sharing views and facts with you guys

ReputationRep:
    I think the word "universe" is actually something of a contradiction, since there could easily be more than one of them. Think about it - BEFORE the "big bang", there was what, absolutely nothing? Then suddenly, a universe appeared, in a space which previously didn't exist (confusing). What's to say a billion others didn't appear at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prestige)
    Also if 2 trains have a head on collision both going 100mph. The Combined Collision Speed would be 200mph. So if a space craft travelling at 3/4 the speef of light colides with another vessel traveling at an equal speed head on would make the combined speed 1.5 the speed of light. Where as Einsteins thoery states you simply cannot travel faster than the speed of light.
    E=MC^2 and nothing can travel faster than the speed or light without either being massless or having an infinte energy supply to propel it

Since spaceships are neither of these then some of the energy of the collision must be converted into mass

ReputationRep:
    I could type out an essay on this from what i've learnt, but i better not ;P

ReputationRep:
    If you travel faster or as fast as the speed of ligth that you actually go back in time or slow down if you took off in a space ship at the speed of light and went around the earth back to your take off point would you actually of gone back in time and see yourself take off?
    again you have mass so as you increase you speed your mass your increase asymtotically with speed, you would never reach the speed of light and hence cannot go back in time as you put it

ReputationRep:
    I see wow, this is fascinating! thanks speciez.

Another question for you guys.

What if the Unstoppable force collided with the Unmovable Object.

Post your views on that. =]

ReputationRep:
    The Universe.

Do you believe in God?
    Is it really so impossible to have life elsewhere in this most impressively sized area. Is it a massive sized area or rather a loop. Whats going on do you think in your opinion.

Issues on the speed of light possibly?

2 questions I challenge my elders are;

Also take into account that only a few decades ago they thoguht that you could not travel faster than 30mph without dying.

I dont know a lot about this sort of thing. But im learning. So i look forward to sharing views and facts with you guys
    I think the apparent existence of the universe is evidence of the viability of the following statement: "existence is easier than inexistence". In order to answer 'why' though - I find the following satisfactory: "inexistence is not the lack of existence, but the simultaneous viability of all possible existences with none having prevalence". Therefore the universe exists because it is one of the possibilities of existence that inevitably (from the first quote) occurs.

I don't believe. God is an interesting concept but has no logical foundation that can be rationalised with any veracity. Even in its primitive (non-religious) form, the idea creates as many problems as it aims to solve. Thus it is of no use in the basis.

There's no reason why life can't exist elsewhere in this universe. Whether this has any significance is I think more meaningful. Likelihood is if life exists elsewhere and demonstrates our level of sentience, we will be completely unaware of them and unable to communicate due to limits of physical laws - so whether they exist or not has no implications.

Don't know about light speed - don't do physics. Distorting space has always been a fictionalised alternative - so perhaps there is hope in that field.

The stuff you said about objects colliding and the velocity of collision being a sum of their two velocities is false at it relies on assumptions about time, that hold only for velocities much less than the speed of light. There's plenty of stuff on the net about that - might be worth you reading.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks nice views aswell this is why i start threads like this. I like to get analyse peoples views and i appreciate yours very much. nice one

ReputationRep:

Big bang.

Do you believe in God?

No

Massive sized area, I think spherical or spherical with the equator streched out.

No, because that destroys cause and effect. At least this sort of thing only happens on quantum (10^-34 m) distances - yes, photons can go faster than the speed of light, or slower, and be destroyed before they are created. But this simply does not happen on any noticable scale.

Who says? People were travelling in planes in WW1...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I think the word "universe" is actually something of a contradiction, since there could easily be more than one of them. Think about it - BEFORE the "big bang", there was what, absolutely nothing? Then suddenly, a universe appeared, in a space which previously didn't exist (confusing). What's to say a billion others didn't appear at the same time?
    Well if a star can collapse to a singularity, can it not happen in reverse...

ReputationRep:
    I AM GOD

damn rubbish at science

ReputationRep:
    maybe before galileo. but he dismissed that argument, because if you travel at a fast speed, whats to stop the situation actually being that you are at rest, and it's the rest of the universe at high speed wrt you, hence it should be the rest of universe that dies, not you.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.